FAKE NEWS IS ABOUT TO GET EVEN SCARIER THAN YOU EVER DREAMED

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, January 29, 2017, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Forget the fake news of yesterday. It's about to get worse, much worse so just capturing someone on video won't be enough. The old bit of pics or it didn't happen has been rendered absolutely obsolete. Yeah, technology is always going to make our lives better.. No, just kidding. It won't.
Read it and weep folks. You won't know who is saying what anymore.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/fake-news-technology
https://youtu.be/ohmajJTcpNk
Faces and voices can all be manipulated to the point where the fake is nearly impossible to distinguish from the real stuff and with this kind of power in the hands of known liars there's no telling where it may lead. 
Police need a confession from someone completely innocent? No problem. Rubber hoses not required. Politicians saying things they shouldn't? No problem. A president declaring war against friends? Easy peezy.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Its all about narrative anyway.  Unless you are directly involved in something, you only have hearsay.  So does what narrative you follow matter?  Hell yes!  Choose the narrative that leads to agreement and peace not conflict and aggression.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2017, 05:52:14 PM
Oh, my...

The Revolution Starts At Noon

I think I'll be afraid - very afraid...

Democracy is a wonderful thing, if you aren't a Democrat ;-)  What do you think happened under any other change of regime?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2017, 07:45:05 PM
Democracy is a wonderful thing, if you aren't a Democrat ;-)  What do you think happened under any other change of regime?

This is the relevant portion:

Jay Boone

We did it. We memed him into the presidency.

Zoe Chace

You memed him?

Jay Boone

We memed him into power. We shit-posted our way into the future.

Conor O'hagan

It's true. This is true.

Jay Boone

This is true because we directed the culture.
God Not Found

Shiranu

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2017, 05:52:14 PM
Oh, my...

The Revolution Starts At Noon

I think I'll be afraid - very afraid...

Interesting and saddening to read the act 2 you mentioned. There is something in our nature that seems to glorify and believe that being a troll is the proper way of life (which given the subjective nature of what life even means, it technically could be). It seems that maybe the YouTube comment section was not a phenomenon but a warning of what humanity, with no emphasis on harmony taught to us, will become.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Yeah, all that religion was supposed to be our source of wisdom. Thousands of years of it, and look how wise we've become!
God Not Found

Gilgamesh

The truther/'conspiracy' community has claimed that this technology has been around - and been used already, specifically by the government, in psychological operations - for a while now.

Baruch

Quote from: MalleshAdmission on March 08, 2017, 04:32:08 AM
Yes it is very scary...........................

No need to be afraid.  This isn't the 1960s.  Bliss.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.