News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are we doomed?

Started by reasonist, December 23, 2016, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 09:47:33 AM
There are thousands of novels that deal with this subject.  I love them, and have read hundreds of them.  Currently reading The Passage series, by Cronin.  Very well done.  Anyway, the world ends in hundreds of ways in these books--take your pick and there is most likely a book that deals with it.
The Earth Abides, Alas, Babylon.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 07, 2017, 03:39:35 PM
The Earth Abides, Alas, Babylon.
Yep--loved them both.  Level 7 is bit different--takes place in the 7th level of a Colorado bunker built into the Rockies. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 04:09:57 PM
Yep--loved them both.  Level 7 is bit different--takes place in the 7th level of a Colorado bunker built into the Rockies. 
I wrote one about a family that is "testing" a super bunker for the father's very rich boss. They get a huge sum for spending a year there, with no contact with the outside world. But one month in to the year the supervising computer reports that all humans have disappeared from the Earth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 07, 2017, 04:59:06 PM
I wrote one about a family that is "testing" a super bunker for the father's very rich boss. They get a huge sum for spending a year there, with no contact with the outside world. But one month in to the year the supervising computer reports that all humans have disappeared from the Earth.
Did you ever get it published???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 05:41:11 PM
Did you ever get it published???
The conclusions disturbed too many people.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 07, 2017, 05:49:16 PM
The conclusions disturbed too many people.
Sounds like my kind of read.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 06:29:39 PM
Sounds like my kind of read.
You'll have to contact my widow.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 07, 2017, 06:42:38 PM
You'll have to contact my widow.
Really?  You're dead?  How'd I miss your funeral???????

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 09:21:24 PM
Really?  You're dead?  How'd I miss your funeral???????
You didn't check my facebook page, obviously. But I meant that nothing will be published until I'm dead. Publisher grumbled a bit (quite a bit), but nothing he can do.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 07, 2017, 04:19:24 AM

We will breed so fast and efficiently -as we perfectly proved that we can- the planet will not be able to sustain us and we'll kill and eat each other like rats. There will be no space or resources of any kind, no clean water. It won't be a sudden event. It will take a 'looong' time, in human time. And the life we know will be very different. Probably there will be scattered violent battles and wars everywhere around the world for food, water and anything basic at some point.

I dont mean wars between cultures or soveriegn nations, countries we are already in that phase, I mean the phase after that. A demography too high, famine too harsh traditional power zones will collapse one by one, because they won't survive. The order of the world will change fundamentally.

Any group of people will get armed in some way and attack around. And the winner will control any sort of resource or land. We call this terrorism today, because we still have a society life; states and organisations that large populations living under, a some sort of an order. Now imagine what would happen if the world was divided into countless little terrorist groups killing and plundering, because the demography is too high, famine is too common and harsh.

That's the 'end' of the world you are talking about, but it is not the end of the world, it is the end of the way of living as we know it. This is why this concept of end of humanity or the world is problematic. We are not equipped to speculate about our extinction realistically, because first it is a religious concept in root and it is the life style and order which means the same to us. It's just a different life. It's actually our past in a different setting and form. So when I try to look forward and forward I see that.

I don't see a nuclear war wiping out human even it happens which is unlikely imo. I wish it would be a clean extinction level event caused by a global killer hit, random chance. Scenarios like a deadly virus spread by a mad man sounds too much of a hollywood scenario and not enough to 'end' anything to me.

So that is it imo. Hundreds of billions of people and a world map consisted of thousands of tiny little groups moving around in constant battle.

damn you get me aroused when you talk like that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 08, 2017, 05:30:31 AM
You didn't check my facebook page, obviously. But I meant that nothing will be published until I'm dead. Publisher grumbled a bit (quite a bit), but nothing he can do.
Haven't been on facebook in years, so missed that.  So, you are the modern Mark Twain, I see.  Only problem is that I will probably beat you to that situation of being dead.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2017, 09:47:02 AM
Haven't been on facebook in years, so missed that.  So, you are the modern Mark Twain, I see.  Only problem is that I will probably beat you to that situation of being dead.
And the race is on!
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 08, 2017, 05:30:31 AM

Too bad he is chicken shit ;-(  There was a TV movie once ... a post Apocalypse.  The elite had gotten into a spaceship and took a long relativistic trip, to come back a couple hundred years later.  Meanwhile there was a guy in stasis, before the End.  The survivors woke him up, because they needed his technical expertise.  They had a weapon to blow up a meteorite heading to Earth.  So he helps them destroy it.  Only later he figures out, this was the spaceship of the Elite, getting karma.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I can't quite parse out why he's a chicken-shit. Other publishers wouldn't touch that story, he said it was "interesting".
PZ Myers