News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are we doomed?

Started by reasonist, December 23, 2016, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Now we know why humanity became extinct ... spent too much time posting meaningless comments on the Internet ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2016, 09:30:53 AM
Nope, they were contemporaries on the radio back in the day. Easy association to make.

"Running Bear" and "Sink the Bismark", same-same.
I hadn't thought of those two in quite some time.  It is interesting how we attach certain memories to certain songs.  Born to be Wild--and the Army.  Boy, what a weird connection, eh?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2016, 09:43:10 PM
Yeah ... biology isn't too important, compared to political/economics ;-(  I remember the first Earth Day ... and we don't even celebrate it any more.  The D-party could have gone Left with McGovern, but instead triangulated into a R-me-too party under the Clintons.
We are biology. We depend on it, not the other way around. Hopefully we realize that before it is too late.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

The N Pole is 50 degrees F hotter than normal ... if it is that way this Summer, there won't be any land life above ground left alive.  Pretty much peak human over the cliff ;-(

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/1221/North-Pole-expected-to-reach-50-degrees-warmer-than-normal
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, apparently on Friday, November 13, 2026, the world's population growth will become infinite, so we'll certainly be doomed by then.

Also, of course, there's a doomsday argument that may be of interest to those of you who haven't seen it before.

Calculating Doomsday â€" An interesting but ultimately meaningless probability game
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 27, 2016, 12:18:33 PM
I hadn't thought of those two in quite some time.  It is interesting how we attach certain memories to certain songs.  Born to be Wild--and the Army.  Boy, what a weird connection, eh?
Age of Aquarius and the Navy, quite logically.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2016, 05:48:02 PM
Age of Aquarius and the Navy, quite logically.
Age of Aquarius and strippers.  That's logical, too..............I guess.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 27, 2016, 06:28:24 PM
Age of Aquarius and strippers.  That's logical, too..............I guess.
Redundant, I already said "Navy", so strippers are automatic in the package.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

reasonist

Another nail in the coffin or reason for hope?
I watched this for 5 minutes and got horrified:

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on December 28, 2016, 09:52:11 PM
Another nail in the coffin or reason for hope?
I watched this for 5 minutes and got horrified:

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

A new fool is born every minute ... so that means an always increasing supply of marks for the elite grifters.  But then there is periodic culling of the herd ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on December 28, 2016, 10:25:46 PM
A new fool is born every minute ... so that means an always increasing supply of marks for the elite grifters.  But then there is periodic culling of the herd ;-(
Looks like 'self culling'...

why are we degenerating so fast????

http://metrocosm.com/map-world-obesity/

Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on January 05, 2017, 09:53:30 AM
Looks like 'self culling'...

why are we degenerating so fast????

http://metrocosm.com/map-world-obesity/

Human social evolution has proceeded much faster than biological evolution.  We are outstripping our biology ... and we won't be moving to brains in a jar to escape that limitation, any time soon.  Modern society is bad for you ... Stone Age San people (while they still hunted for a living) are superior to modern people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on January 05, 2017, 12:42:18 PM
Human social evolution has proceeded much faster than biological evolution.  We are outstripping our biology ... and we won't be moving to brains in a jar to escape that limitation, any time soon.  Modern society is bad for you ... Stone Age San people (while they still hunted for a living) are superior to modern people.

So there is no way to avoid disaster, since we can't turn back the time clock? If we continue at this rate, this species is on it's way out sooner than we think? How can we turn this tide?
Somehow I think that we have a self destruct gene, either through violence or through degeneration. Other than big brother controlling individual calorie intake and regulating birth rates, we have no other options? To watch this all rather helpless is frustrating because it seems that politicians don't care about future generations, just the next election. As individuals we have a responsibility to care and act but our power is pretty much limited to elections. And the last one showed that many of us just don't give a damn about the world we leave for our children.
Voltaire

Unbeliever

I really fail to see what difference it makes if the world and all aboard it are doomed to annihilation. Would someone like to enlighten me as to why I should care?

I refuse to fall into despair just because the world and the universe don't meet up to my (or your) desires.
God Not Found