News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 14, 2017, 11:36:51 PM
John 10:18 No one takes it (my life) from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

And most think he only used that power once....*shrugs*
Considering 'he' is a fiction, I would imagine he can come and go as he pleases--or as often as 'his' fans write that into the script.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I allow that the bible states many important ways of people living together well.  But the "living together well" came first and the bible simply codified that.  Humans have been homo sapiens for about 200,000 years and learned how to live together all that time before the bible.  That some ancient nomadic tribe consolidated a few vague legends (a flood, a few battles, a time of slavery) means very little in the course of human history (as brief as THAT is).

There is nothing in the bible that is not taken from other older cultures, and little advice that wasn't already understood in the cultures that surrounded them.  Seriously, do you think think it was a revelation that one should respect the elders and not steal from neighbors? 

The bible is only the first written record of standard inter-human practices by a small tribe of nomads who met a lot of other peoples and caught on to writing at the right time.

I do admire them for that, BTW.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yep ... 190,000 years without agriculture .. and then it all goes to hell.  Hunter/gatherer heaven aka Garden of Eden.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I wonder what kind of garden paradise goes through the mind of someone living in the deserts of the middle east
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 04:19:54 PM
I wonder what kind of garden paradise goes through the mind of someone living in the deserts of the middle east

Water, lots of water.  Figs.  Water.  Shade.  Water.  Women.  Water; POOLS of water.  Water spraying everywhere.  Water flowing past your feet, and your feet in it.  Water.  Oh, and women...  And water.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 04:19:54 PM

The Quran is quite detailed about it ... like an oasis ... only better.  Paradise comes from the Persian word for the Shah's garden.  The Iranians are good at gardening, though their land isn't as hostile as the Hejaz.

Young women in the oasis of course, friendly women who never age or get pregnant or bitch.  But that is the male version ;-)  Figs were the first domesticated plant.  But oasis mostly have dates.  And no snakes ... venomous snakes also live in oasis, and ruin an otherwise wonderful visit.  The oldest recorded Semitic message, is an anti-snake spell in an early Egyptian pyramid.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

hmmm so the Garden of Eden has some fig trees, a few lakes, and the wives of Abel, Cain, and Seth were waiting for them when they got there. Didn't have to tell me there are no snakes. I roasted those guys on the campfire last night.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 19, 2017, 03:38:37 AM
hmmm so the Garden of Eden has some fig trees, a few lakes, and the wives of Abel, Cain, and Seth were waiting for them when they got there. Didn't have to tell me there are no snakes. I roasted those guys on the campfire last night.

If an Arab catches a snake in an oasis, they sew its mouth shut.  Parseltongue you know!  Genesis repeats very old folk tales, which often relate to very old folk customs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on June 19, 2017, 03:38:37 AM

Well, I said "deserts of the middle east", not Garden Of Eden".  I was curious about desert fantasies.  No offense though...  I sort of see the connection.