News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 11, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
I cant be a Plutonist, I don't even know the guy, hell I've never even been to one of his schools or had any of his students teaching in my school

You are not meme isolated.  That isn't how culture works.  You are just a branch on a very big cultural/meme tree.  And your branch ties into parents, school, associates etc ... and they tie back all the way to countless ancient people, including the Greek and Roman philosophers.  If any of that meme tree was broken, between you and Pythagoras, you wouldn't know what arithmetic or geometry are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch
Actually, we are approaching extinction.  Why get to the extinction event sooner?
If we are approaching extinction, it is not due to advancement of civilization, but rather shortsightedness, in the stewardship of natural resources, while we progress.

Quote from: Baruch
This is all part of the Progressive or neoLiberal matrix ... it is crap.
I don't know why I never connected the dots! If it says, "Liberal, Liberal, Liberal," on the label, label, label...you will like it, like it, like it on your table, table, table..."Liberal, Liberal, Liberal," on the label, label, label.

Quote from: BaruchIf there were no humans to begin with, the biosphere of this planet might survive.
Yeah, but who would be here to give a fuck, if it did?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Unbeliever

Oh, I expect the biosphere will survive. It's not likely we'll sterilize the entire planet. Even if we kill everything on the surface, there's till the deep hot biosphere, which might replenish the surface life - eventually. Maybe far-future archeologists will be able to find evidence of how we fucked up the planet, and thereby learn how to avoid doing so themselves.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 05, 2017, 06:53:00 AM
Is that you Carl?  Do they have Internet in the after-life?

I really enjoyed the old Cosmos.  Didn't get to see much of the new one, but I heard it was dumbed down for the Millennials.

There is never a better version than the original.  Neil did a good job, and he was the only one who could have redone it.  It was the graphics that sucked.  And I mean BIG TIME.  He did the narrative great. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: popsthebuilder on January 10, 2017, 08:15:38 PM
Uhm... What?

Surely you aren't that dumb.

Have you heard of the Baha'i faith or the understanding that all different names for the benevolent creator GOD are just that, different names for the same single GOD.

No need to be so grumpy or bigheaded

peace

Quote from: widdershins on January 11, 2017, 11:58:40 AM
That is your belief.  Jehovah's Witnesses believe they worship a physically different God than other Christians.  They believe this even though their Bibles are derived from the same scrolls and have the same actors.  You are saying, "Their beliefs are wrong, mine are right", but that's exactly what they would say about you.  So PROVE IT!

While the Bah'i claim a universal god, they define that god idiosyncratically, with their own self serving needs in the forefront.  They are absolutely no different that any other self serving religion that says, "There is only one god, but we are the only ones who define him correctly."

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 09:09:10 AM

While the Bah'i claim a universal god, they define that god idiosyncratically, with their own self serving needs in the forefront.  They are absolutely no different that any other self serving religion that says, "There is only one god, but we are the only ones who define him correctly."

Every theism claims, ultimately, "The One True Understanding".  They are all somewhere between stupid and idiotic.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 09:09:10 AM

No.... Not really.....They claim to not be all knowing all while accepting the apparent truths of science and the truths that can be known through the inner self. They understand the general singularity of the messages of the prophets and messengers of GOD. I didn't say they had it all perfectly correct, and I surely wouldn't assume so much of myself. I am generally against organized religion because of their fruits or labors, and admittedly do not know of much of the works of those proclaiming to be of the Baha'i faith. I do know that what I have studied and witnessed of them seemed closer to the truth that other organized religions. To exclaim that another's faith of believe is wholly wrong is in itself, for the faithful to GOD, wrong.

And yes they do too understand god to be both individual and indivisible. Meaning that it is both all encompassing and utterly personal. All pervading yet only not directly percievable.

It's kinda like the descriptions in the upinishads. A small little core hidden within with utterly immeasurable benevolent potential.

Part of my take anyway.

peace friend

faith in selfless unity for good

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on March 14, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
No.... Not really.....They claim to not be all knowing all while accepting the apparent truths of science and the truths that can be known through the inner self. They understand the general singularity of the messages of the prophets and messengers of GOD. I didn't say they had it all perfectly correct, and I surely wouldn't assume so much of myself. I am generally against organized religion because of their fruits or labors, and admittedly do not know of much of the works of those proclaiming to be of the Baha'i faith. I do know that what I have studied and witnessed of them seemed closer to the truth that other organized religions. To exclaim that another's faith of believe is wholly wrong is in itself, for the faithful to GOD, wrong.

And yes they do too understand god to be both individual and indivisible. Meaning that it is both all encompassing and utterly personal. All pervading yet only not directly percievable.

It's kinda like the descriptions in the upinishads. A small little core hidden within with utterly immeasurable benevolent potential.

Part of my take anyway.

peace friend

Wow.  Conversely, I think the greatest gift to humanity would be the freedom FROM theism of all sorts.  And yet we seek the same goal; peace and happiness for all people everywhere. 

I sometimes wonder which would be best. If all humanity believed in the exact same deity, would they be happier.  But how could disagreement on details not spring up.  After all, I suppose there one original deity idea somewhere, and look what happened.  But if there was none, there would be no theistic divisions among us.

Still, I doubt there is any deity so I think my idea is most likely to be true anyway, regardless of whether it is socially best or not.

SGOS

Quote from: popsthebuilder on March 14, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
No.... Not really.....
I disagree.  My Baha'i friend explained it as, "Muslim/Christian.  Both are right," according to the Baha'i.  That's garbage of course.  Two mutually exclusive religions claiming to be right, while the other is wrong is incoherent gibberish.  Similarities?  Yeah, OK, I could buy that, but both being right?  That's bypassing their brains and coming out their asses.  I pondered this to the point where I was befuddled by the absurdity, that I sought out their website, which didn't help.

Sure, they say, "You don't understand, because bla, bla, bla.  But Christians do that too.  Baha'i is just another superstition, with it's own form of bigotry and intolerance.  But then my friend is a holocaust denier, and anti-Semite too, although he was a devoted Baha'i.  Don't focus on what a religion says.  Focus on what it does.  Specifically focus on what the membership is doing.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 10:35:32 AM
I disagree.  My Baha'i friend explained it as, "Muslim/Christian.  Both are right," according to the Baha'i.  That's garbage of course.  Two mutually exclusive religions claiming to be right, while the other is wrong is incoherent gibberish.  Similarities?  Yeah, OK, I could buy that, but both being right?  That's bypassing their brains and coming out their asses.  I pondered this to the point where I was befuddled by the absurdity, that I sought out their website, which didn't help.

Sure, they say, "You don't understand, because bla, bla, bla.  But Christians do that too.  Baha'i is just another superstition, with it's own form of bigotry and intolerance.  But then my friend is a holocaust denier, and anti-Semite too, although he was a devoted Baha'i.  Don't focus on what a religion says.  Focus on what it does.  Specifically focus on what the membership is doing.

When theistic texts, handed down by a deity, differ in the least tiny degree, one of them has to be wrong, and there is no stopping from that point!  Every believer but one is going straight to Hell in a Handbasket.  And that last believer is going to Hell because the Handbasket was woven from the wrong branches but she didn't know it.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2017, 10:35:32 AM

Not sure if you've studied both the bible and Quran with out preconceived biases and an opened mind, but if you had you would note they are nearly the same faith and do indeed worship the same GOD, though most are oblivious to this simple truth for a multitude of reasons.

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on March 14, 2017, 02:04:17 PM
Not sure if you've studied both the bible and Quran with out preconceived biases and an opened mind, but if you had you would note they are nearly the same faith and do indeed worship the same GOD, though most are oblivious to this simple truth for a multitude of reasons.

There are indeed many similarities.  The differences are in the disagreements and the perceived Messiah or current lack of one and some afterlife differences. None of which make any sense and they seem about the same to me.  The slight differences suggest none are accurate and the inanities suggest none are true.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on March 14, 2017, 02:04:17 PM

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa strongly promoted this, not just Bahais.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on March 24, 2017, 10:10:03 AM
There are indeed many similarities.  The differences are in the disagreements and the perceived Messiah or current lack of one and some afterlife differences. None of which make any sense and they seem about the same to me.  The slight differences suggest none are accurate and the inanities suggest none are true.
All faiths I have read of so far have a Messiah figure. It is the spirit/ fire of GOD which brings salvation and or unity between creation and created purpose.

The slight differences are indicative of different cultures and times.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2017, 12:49:05 PM
Ramakrishna Paramahamsa strongly promoted this, not just Bahais.
True and telling. Thank you.