News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 12:14:47 PM
Yes, but all absolute realists believe in Plato, and he has been dead for a long time.

I don't believe in Plato, and I consider myself a realist...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 10:28:03 AM
I don't believe in Plato, and I consider myself a realist...

Most people's self examination is shallow ... much philosophy comes thru culture, not thru college courses.  Do you believe that any reality is absolute (as opposed to empirical (which is what I call realist))?  Then you are a Platonist in part.  Very few people aren't closet Plutonists.  Western Philosophy is mostly commentary on Plato.  I am a realist (as in empirical) ... I don't believe in reason (which can be used to deny empiricism) and I don't believe in absolutes.  It is relative, yet pragmatic ... what I see happening.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 12:32:17 PM
Most people's self examination is shallow ... much philosophy comes thru culture, not thru college courses.  Do you believe that any reality is absolute (as opposed to empirical (which is what I call realist))?  Then you are a Platonist in part.  Very few people aren't closet Plutonists.  Western Philosophy is mostly commentary on Plato.  I am a realist (as in empirical) ... I don't believe in reason (which can be used to deny empiricism) and I don't believe in absolutes.  It is relative, yet pragmatic ... what I see happening.

Plato and his followers were mystic idiots.  I grant them only scorn.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 12:36:03 PM
Plato and his followers were mystic idiots.  I grant them only scorn.

So you deny his grand-daddy ... Pythagoras, and the whole arithmetical cult?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 12:37:26 PM
So you deny his grand-daddy ... Pythagoras, and the whole arithmetical cult?

Yes, actually.  Pythagorus and his followers considered the idea of irrational numbers too upsetting for the "others" to understand, hid knowledge, and made maths a mystical idea.  They set back human knowledge by centuries.

If not for them, we might be settled on solar planets by know and reaching the nearest stars.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 12:43:08 PM
Yes, actually.  Pythagorus and his followers considered the idea of irrational numbers too upsetting for the "others" to understand, hid knowledge, and made maths a mystical idea.  They set back human knowledge by centuries.

If not for them, we might be settled on solar planets by know and reaching the nearest stars.

Yes, we must spread the gospel of Pee Wee Herman thru the universe!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 12:43:08 PM

I sometimes wonder how much farther we would have advanced today if not for religious idiots and the civilization delays they have caused.  It is so sad. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 02, 2017, 03:28:13 AM
I sometimes wonder how much farther we would have advanced today if not for religious idiots and the civilization delays they have caused.  It is so sad.

Actually, we are approaching extinction.  Why get to the extinction event sooner?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 02, 2017, 06:38:56 AM
Actually, we are approaching extinction.  Why get to the extinction event sooner?

Well, let's say the mystical Greeks did not out-argue the rational Greeks.  Let's suggest the possibility that the Greek civilization did not then collapse but continued.  Might we not then now be colonized on the Moon and Mars and looking to further expansion?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on March 02, 2017, 08:28:54 AM
Well, let's say the mystical Greeks did not out-argue the rational Greeks.  Let's suggest the possibility that the Greek civilization did not then collapse but continued.  Might we not then now be colonized on the Moon and Mars and looking to further expansion?
Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDRIuHTZnM
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

This is all part of the Progressive or neoLiberal matrix ... it is crap.  If there were no humans to begin with, the biosphere of this planet might survive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 02, 2017, 06:38:56 AM
Well, the average lifetime of a species is about a million years, so they all go, sooner or later. Once they're gone it hardly matters that they were ever here at all. Except for our digging them up they'd be absolutely forgotten by the world. The same will be true once were gone: it will (eventually, once the biosphere recovers) be as though we were never here at all. Oblivion sandwiches both sides of our species life, just as it does each of our individual lives. As Yeats wrote:

QuoteMany times man lives and dies   
Between his two eternities,
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on March 02, 2017, 11:56:59 AM
Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDRIuHTZnM

I re-watch Cosmos frequently.  I know that part well.  It is the mysticism of some of the Greeks that delayed our scientific understanding of the universe around us.

Baruch

Is that you Carl?  Do they have Internet in the after-life?

I really enjoyed the old Cosmos.  Didn't get to see much of the new one, but I heard it was dumbed down for the Millennials.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 12:32:17 PM
Very few people aren't closet Plutonists
I cant be a Plutonist, I don't even know the guy, hell I've never even been to one of his schools or had any of his students teaching in my school
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.