Trump Advisor Turns Anti-Science Dial To 11"

Started by Shiranu, December 21, 2016, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Either you are for individual solutions (and accept the consequences for yourself) or you are for a State solution.  Of course maybe not everyone will think or act in a way to moderate the carbon cycle (that is what I am on about, not global warming per se).  You have to accept that if you are an individual.  If you are a totalitarian then you will make everyone or the 99% no longer contribute to the carbon cycle (except as corpses).  Malthus never went away, he was just ignored.  Either lower the average carbon footprint, or you need to kill off most of humanity.  How can humanity be killed off you say?  We can continue the Thelma & Louise show and go over the cliff together ... or we can go the Hitler route.  Is there some reason why neo-Nazis are on the rise?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2016, 09:33:28 PM

And I don't do these things because I'm some bleeding heart liberal.  I'll be honest, I hate paying for waste.  Wasted gas, wasted electricity (and thus wasted coal), etc.  If I had the opportunity to install cheap and effective solar panels and never pay a dime for electricity again, do you think I'd say yes to that?  Fuck yes, I would.  And you probably would, too.  Because what kind of dumbass would want to pay extra for coal power?!

Me too.  In a word, I'm cheap.  It's in my bones, especially when it comes to things you buy just to burn.  Sometimes I actually feel guilty about advocating conservation.  I'm not making this up either.  It's easy for anyone to advocate what they tend to do anyway.  So I end up feeling guilty for thinking that everyone else should conserve too.  But this is un-American.  Politicians even tell us to keep on shopping.  If you don't buy a Hummer, at least buy an SUV for taking your aluminum cans to the recycling center.  Who am I to impose my will on everyone else?

To make it even worse, I pride myself on driving economical cars, knowing full well that it just makes gas that much cheaper for the guy driving the Hummer (who never thanks me, anyway).  I end up thinking I'm doing my part, so the Hummer guy gets to burn up more, and nothing is gained.  Fortunately, I can get some joy out of saving some money.

SGOS

Here is something else I've thought about.  With all our technological advancements, stunning that they are, we still heat our place of residence the way we did when we shared Northern Europe with the Neanderthals; We build a wood fire in our "house."  OK, instead of wood, it's usually a material left over from decaying wood, but it's still nothing more than a fire in our house, although contained inside of a mechanical, often digitally controlled device of some sort.  Sometimes the fire is actually built miles away from our domicile in a plant that sends us electricity, usually generated by a fire.  Electricity is a value added product from a wood fire, or some other organic fire similar to a wood fire.  We are sending men to the moon for goodness sakes, but on a chilly evening, we still warm ourselves with fire.  Go figure.

Atheon

I say that anyone who denies science should stop using its fruits.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on December 22, 2016, 10:47:43 AM
I say that anyone who denies science should stop using its fruits.

Deny science? ... just deny hypocrisy.  Al Gore flying a jumbo jet here and there, to preach on global warming.  Amish do deny the way you live, and use a horse and plow.  Do you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 12:59:21 PM
Deny science? ... just deny hypocrisy.  Al Gore flying a jumbo jet here and there, to preach on global warming.  Amish do deny the way you live, and use a horse and plow.  Do you?

Actions to educate people can be more beneficial than the cost of travelling.  Attacking someone who is dedicating his time to making the world better is like attacking someoneone who eats sone small amount of meat while encouraging everyone to eat more veggies.  Both can be done at the same time.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Praising present or former politicians ... how political of you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2016, 07:36:04 AM
Praising present or former politicians ... how political of you ;-)

Is the concept of investment foreign to you?  Sometimes resources can be used to save more in the long term.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 01, 2017, 07:03:26 AM
Is the concept of investment foreign to you?  Sometimes resources can be used to save more in the long term.

Al Gore only invests in himself, just like Hillary.  Notice the ;-) on my previous post?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 01, 2017, 11:38:54 AM
Al Gore only invests in himself, just like Hillary.  Notice the ;-) on my previous post?

You seem to dislike people who have missions beyond their personal benefit.  Why is that?  Democrats tend to be people who seek to improve the world, while Republicans seek to make money at the expense of all the rest of us.  I side with Democrats (in general) for the overall and less selfish goals they have.