Atheists help! Fear of hell:what are the odds that this story was actually true?

Started by Murat_Devekusu, December 18, 2016, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

TheCloser

Quote from: Murat_Devekusu on December 18, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
I am going through one of my worries about hell again. What do you guys think are truly the odds that the Howard Storm story is actually true? How likely is it that he actually saw hell?
Here is a link to his story for those who are not aware of it.

https://youtu.be/CwBEerA4_uY

I am so worried about this I have lost sleep over it because I am scared that I and my loved ones may end up in hell forever. What can I do? I can't get this video out of my head :-( Would you say it is less than a 5% chance that he actually saw hell assuming he is not intentionally lying and being as sincere as he can?

its a crock of poop.   The only thing judging humans is humans.

we all go back into the lego bin.  no big deal.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Simon Moon

Quote from: Murat_Devekusu on December 18, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
I am going through one of my worries about hell again. What do you guys think are truly the odds that the Howard Storm story is actually true? How likely is it that he actually saw hell?
Here is a link to his story for those who are not aware of it.

I am so worried about this I have lost sleep over it because I am scared that I and my loved ones may end up in hell forever. What can I do? I can't get this video out of my head :-( Would you say it is less than a 5% chance that he actually saw hell assuming he is not intentionally lying and being as sincere as he can?

There is next to zero chance that this is true.

The Hindu gods and their hell, Naraka, that's the one that should be keeping you up at night.

Seriously, the fact that you would consider the story of a person who's brain is going through trauma induced hallucination, as being credible does not bode well for you critical thinking skills.

But if you are truly this indoctrinated, then I feel bad for you.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

The odd flips and flops of one uncertain person has nothing to do with reality.  Decide for yourself.  And if you choose religion (any of them) throw yourself into a well because that is the fastest way to see if there is an afterlife.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

godmessenger

Hell in the Bible is much scarier than the traditional depiction of it. It is the lake of fire in Revelation, the place where the fire is hotter than a thousand fires, and where the "worm dies not". The demons called "legion" were begging Jesus not the send them out into the "abyss", and they seemed very afraid. They knew what hell was. I have no doubt that Howard Storm could have been given a preview of hell, just as some have been given glimpses of heaven. To dismiss these things as being short of oxygen is infantile and ignorant. We are also spiritual creatures, a nature given us by the same One who created our bodies. It is natural that at times we will experience communications from the Deity. Going to Hell became possible when Adam ate the forbidden fruit, disconnecting from God. The purpose of Christ was to provide escape from Hell, and so Heaven is reconnection to God.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: godmessenger on January 18, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
Hell in the Bible is much scarier than the traditional depiction of it.
Can't be any worse than the Soul Cairn from TES V. Man that place was depressing.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

Hell in the Bible is much scarier than the traditional depiction of it. It is the lake of fire in Revelation, the place where the fire is hotter than a thousand fires, and where the "worm dies not". The demons called "legion" were begging Jesus not the send them out into the "abyss", and they seemed very afraid. They knew what hell was. I have no doubt that Howard Storm could have been given a preview of hell, just as some have been given glimpses of heaven. To dismiss these things as being short of oxygen is infantile and ignorant. We are also spiritual creatures, a nature given us by the same One who created our bodies. It is natural that at times we will experience communications from the Deity. Going to Hell became possible when Adam ate the forbidden fruit, disconnecting from God. The purpose of Christ was to provide escape from Hell, and so Heaven is reconnection to God.

For you to say that we are infantile and ignorant just before insinuating that Adam was an actually real person is quite ironic. Come back when you've grown a brain. I have no interests in arguing with people with the minds of five-year-olds.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: godmessenger on January 18, 2017, 11:15:54 PMthe fire is hotter than a thousand fires
Now there's an interesting unit of measurement.

"How hot is that fire?"
"I dunno..maybe a hundred fires hot. On second thought, a thousand."

Move over metric system, we have a contender!

Quoteand where the "worm dies not". The demons called "legion" were begging Jesus not the send them out into the "abyss", and they seemed very afraid. They knew what hell was. I have no doubt that Howard Storm could have been given a preview of hell, just as some have been given glimpses of heaven. To dismiss these things as being short of oxygen is infantile and ignorant.
Well, I thought hell was mythological fiction before but if you make it sound super bad and you talk like you're super convinced this is legit, it seems really compelling.  I might have to go convert now.  Does that technique actually work on many people?  Or any people?

QuoteGoing to Hell became possible when Adam ate the forbidden fruit, disconnecting from God.
Even assuming the story is true, the alternative would be eternal slavery.  Practically anything would be a step up from that.  And of course, God is the real screw-up in this story since, yanno, omniscience.

Baruch

godmessenger - Dante should have put this sign over the entry to Hell ... "Loose your stereotypes, ye who enter here"

PS ... I am a demigod myself, and I don't remember hiring any Western Union guys ... are you sure you work for me? ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

So, what - one guy eats a fruit that his God didn't want him to eat, and forever after everyone is doomed to spend eternity being tortured in an infinite fire umless they believe the unbelievable - but God is love?

How can anyone be so STUPID!? And then come here and expect us to be just as STUPID!?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

AllPurposeAtheist

Well Well, the whole thing started because some broad was hungry for fresh fruit and if you don't believe it you're most certainly going to burn forever and ever and ever and ever x1000.. This is why we should be allowed to sumarily execute women for entering the produce section of grocery stores. After all, just looking at this image will tempt you beyond all reason. Yup, definitely sinful thoughts swirling around in my head.. Forgive me father for I am a sinner.

HEY! STOP THAT or you'll go blind! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.