Pop science built on fraudulent science?

Started by Baruch, December 31, 2016, 08:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quantum computing is somewhat speculative ...

http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38976

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/20/former-lawrence-livermore-lab-research-scientist-sentenced-to-prison/

but notice how quantum computing is very focussed on Google, CIA and factoring large primes (important for cryptography).  Google has a D-wave machine ... why would they have one?

The AI scam is similar.

More recent pop-sci quantum computing ...

http://www.informationweek.com/cloud/software-as-a-service/google-puts-d-wave-quantum-computer-to-work/d/d-id/1325881

The IBM project is digital, the Google project is analog.  If one can find a "magic wand" to factor large primes, then one can read much of the encrypted government and corporate traffic since around 1983 (old messages are a gold mine too).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

More on AI fraud:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/02/ai_was_the_fake_news_of_2016/

I have seen plenty of this myself for the past several years.  Techno-utopians touting a free lunch (Marx predicted this, and is still wrong).  In popular or management audience rags on-line ... robots and AI will eliminate all jobs, very soon.  This is worse than fraudulent marketing for the sake a making a few shekels.  This is a disruptive revolution by something that isn't even real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

The Wiki RSA link is a dead end.

The potential for abuse is not going to stop people from working on these things. If they can be made to work they will eventually be made to work.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hakurei Reimu

Self-driving cars will cut down the need to train people in driving. Perhaps not much at first, but as more and more people adopt and as their demonstrated superiority of self-driven verses people-driven cars drive states to require some sort of assist at least, the need to train people to drive cars will quite definitely shrink, as well as the need to process traffic violations because they're not going to be as many of them. In economic terms, when you read "AI," you should really think "really sophisticated automation," and that has always resulted in job destruction.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 05, 2017, 07:41:53 AM

The potential for abuse is not going to stop people from working on these things. If they can be made to work they will eventually be made to work.

One can abuse phlogiston, but that doesn't mean that the theory is correct.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 05, 2017, 07:41:53 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 05, 2017, 09:07:28 AM
Self-driving cars will cut down the need to train people in driving. Perhaps not much at first, but as more and more people adopt and as their demonstrated superiority of self-driven verses people-driven cars drive states to require some sort of assist at least, the need to train people to drive cars will quite definitely shrink, as well as the need to process traffic violations because they're not going to be as many of them. In economic terms, when you read "AI," you should really think "really sophisticated automation," and that has always resulted in job destruction.

And Reilly, the lightning struck kid in My Computer Wore Tennis Shoes ... was real human supercomputer.

Destroy your own job.  Outsource all academic positions to India and China.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Baruch, I don't even know what you're on about anymore.
(she bites!)

Shiranu

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 05, 2017, 09:07:28 AM

Gonna be a lot of small towns losing a lot of revenue when they cant stop people for speeding anymore...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 05, 2017, 10:13:19 PM

We are hip deep in fake news, and it infects this site too.  Not all fake news is political however.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 05, 2017, 10:13:19 PM
Please don't make him angry...you wouldn't like him when he's angry... :hush:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 06, 2017, 02:21:44 PM
Please don't make him angry...you wouldn't like him when he's angry... :hush:

I don't get big and green, I put on my reading glasses and go kosher all over your asses ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

An earlier computer utopia failure, related to quantum computing (because massively parallel) ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_generation_computer

This was a research program primarily.  The Lisp Machine and Thinking Machine were commercial attempts.  These relied on conventional physics, but one can argue that any computer using transistors, is implicitly a quantum computer ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2017, 06:48:52 AM
We are hip deep in fake news, and it infects this site too.  Not all fake news is political however.
Yes, and you're going to tell us what's fake and what's real. Ladies and gentlemen, the honorable Baruch of the Supreme Court of Truth. Oyez, oyes, oyez.
(she bites!)

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 06, 2017, 08:13:24 PM
Yes, and you're going to tell us what's fake and what's real. Ladies and gentlemen, the honorable Baruch of the Supreme Court of Truth. Oyez, oyes, oyez.

Here come the judge, here come the judge ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIcKkKID8k

Sammy Davis was Jewish too!  I am the Truth (and so are you).  Truth isn't a propositional statement subject to logical analysis, nor demonstration, nor empirical confirmation.  The Truth is the Life, and it does make you free.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.