Start putting chips in people ...

Started by Baruch, December 14, 2016, 07:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on December 22, 2016, 09:42:14 AM
Chipping was voluntary before this law (the decision made by the guardian).  This law only provides funding, and it specifically spells out that it does not provide funding for chipping.

Government trick ... if the government funds it, then they control it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

But we must chip only those we fear.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2016, 04:08:33 AM
But we must chip only those we fear.  ;)

Americans fear everyone, especially their own shadows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I put tortilla chips in me regularly.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 26, 2016, 09:46:58 AM
I put tortilla chips in me regularly.

If an "oreo" is a Black person who is White on the inside, what is an Anglo who is Mexican on the inside?  A "chili relleno"? ;-) (implication ... that is American fake cheese inside).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2016, 11:49:31 AM
If an "oreo" is a Black person who is White on the inside, what is an Anglo who is Mexican on the inside?  A "chili relleno"? ;-) (implication ... that is American fake cheese inside).
Blurrito.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
Government trick ... if the government funds it, then they control it.
Actually, it's not "funding" so much as "reimbursement" from the sound of it.  But whatever.  In a country where more than 70% of the people are Christian and a high percentage of those think of "The Mark of the Beast" as possibly being a tattoo or chip in one's head or hand it is unlikely that anyone is working toward "chipping" any particular demographic.  And the facts in this case just do not support what you're saying.  I certainly understand a healthy distrust of the government.  They have done some pretty shitty things.  But sometimes a bill is just a bill.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Address me, not some Christian nut cases ;-)  Even if there were no Christianity at all, yes, I would distrust anything a government or church or corporation would do.  But then I don't believe in the inherent goodness of human beings.  I see no evidence to cause me to believe in such a fantastic thing.  One can't trust one's own family members, you can't trust your dog or cat.  So let's just forget trust as a concept ... it is synonymous with gullibility.  This is the problem with religious faith.  If I am a theist, it is not because of faith, but perception as immediate as my right hand.  This is part of where religions fail ... they rely on testimony.  But every witness bears false witness, because all human beings are false.  If all human beings are false, and I am a human being, so I am false ... what am I to make of that?  Mahayana Buddhism has a suggestion ... that you use whatever is at hand to accomplish your goal, even falsehood.  The question is, are you using falsehood for good deeds or evil deeds?  I would use truth if I could ... but I find that it is inseparable from falsehood, that they are complementary, not opposites.  The recent election is a beautiful example of this ... did Hillary win or lose? ... did Trump win or lose?  You have to get past the primitive logic of Aristotle, Nagarjuna was a much greater logician.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

If an "oreo" is a Black person who is White on the inside

I've heard it's all pink on the inside...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 27, 2016, 05:13:13 PM
I've heard it's all pink on the inside...

Not if a government vampire has drained all the blood first ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

What ever it is... I probably count as one.

*Instant edit: I just realized you said Anglo and not white. I am not it at all then.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2016, 11:57:12 AM
Address me, not some Christian nut cases ;-)  Even if there were no Christianity at all, yes, I would distrust anything a government or church or corporation would do.  But then I don't believe in the inherent goodness of human beings.  I see no evidence to cause me to believe in such a fantastic thing.  One can't trust one's own family members, you can't trust your dog or cat.  So let's just forget trust as a concept ... it is synonymous with gullibility.  This is the problem with religious faith.  If I am a theist, it is not because of faith, but perception as immediate as my right hand.  This is part of where religions fail ... they rely on testimony.  But every witness bears false witness, because all human beings are false.  If all human beings are false, and I am a human being, so I am false ... what am I to make of that?  Mahayana Buddhism has a suggestion ... that you use whatever is at hand to accomplish your goal, even falsehood.  The question is, are you using falsehood for good deeds or evil deeds?  I would use truth if I could ... but I find that it is inseparable from falsehood, that they are complementary, not opposites.  The recent election is a beautiful example of this ... did Hillary win or lose? ... did Trump win or lose?  You have to get past the primitive logic of Aristotle, Nagarjuna was a much greater logician.
I was not addressing Christian nutcases, I was pointing out that there's a better than 70% chance that anyone working or voting on this bill was likely a Christian who feared the Mark of the Beast with a very good chance that they see "chips" in people as said mark.  I find it hard to believe that this bill would pass if the people working on or voting for the bill saw what you see in it.

As for the rest of it, I started out agreeing wholeheartedly, but then it kind of fell apart and I was left scratching my head  But for the part I agreed with, how many times has even our government, the supposed "good guys", had to apologize for something absolutely horrific?  Torture, internment camps, infecting men with venereal diseases to see how it would affect their children in South America, exposing troops to radiation from a nuclear explosion purposely to see what it would do to them, giving LSD to people to see what it would do to them...I'm sure the list is much larger than I know, and that's just the stuff we found out about, the stuff which became "common knowledge".  I haven't even bothered to search for any information.

So no, I do not exactly "trust" the government.  But there is one thing even you can trust and that is that people are inherently flawed.  There is no such thing as a perfect secret.  The atrocities our government does, we learn about them because people talk and government is a lot of people.  There will always be Snowdens, not to mention hosts of other, lesser leakers.  Because there are no perfect people and because the government is made up of a lot of people then there is no perfect secret.  We will find out when they do wrong, not that finding out lets us hold anyone accountable or anything.

Baruch

Reading the minds of Congress-criters from afar?  Really!!  Revelations is bullshit, everyone knows that, particularly anyone cynical enough to enter politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Baruch on December 28, 2016, 01:10:21 PM
Reading the minds of Congress-criters from afar?  Really!!  Revelations is bullshit, everyone knows that, particularly anyone cynical enough to enter politics.
Reading the minds of "everyone" from afar?  Really??? :wink:

I did not say "what was", I said "what was unlikely".

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on December 29, 2016, 12:33:48 PM
Reading the minds of "everyone" from afar?  Really??? :wink:

I did not say "what was", I said "what was unlikely".

So probability then ... you used dice instead of a Ouija board.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.