Alabama May Have Botched an Execution

Started by SGOS, December 09, 2016, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Ä°s there anything that could be done in these situations? Any examples before? Can anyone be prosecuted?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 10, 2016, 12:43:22 AM
QFT.  Please spread the word to the retributive justice people.  No one gains anything when two people each lose an eye.

I would be happy if everyone got what they deserved ... but my sense of mercy condemns this.  They may deserve retribution (if they are an actual guilty party) ... but we can choose to spare them, for lifetime imprisonment (to spare the public safety, but not the public purse).  I am not a pacifist, and I do care about society and the victims, but I don't think that I am a saint, winning brownie points by sparing guilty people.  That isn't what motivates my mercy ... it is reciprocity ... because I know I am also guilty (not that I am somehow virtuous).  So for me, self righteous retribution, or self righteous sanctimoniousness both fail.  And I am not claiming original sin, just denying my own innocence.  If you think you are innocent, let that be on your head.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 10, 2016, 05:43:28 AM
Ä°s there anything that could be done in these situations? Any examples before? Can anyone be prosecuted?

SJWs would condemn society, not the individual, and execute society.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

If I'm ever wrongly convicted, just fucking shoot me. I don't want to spend one day in prison, let alone the rest of my days.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 10, 2016, 05:43:28 AM

Do you mean for executing and innocent or for botching an execution? 

Interesting question.  I don't know.  I can't remember a case where the state even paid restitution to a person wrongly convicted or restitution to a family for a wrongful execution of a family member.  While this seems like it should be required, I don't think anyone gets so much as an apology.  In a way, the state simply administers the penalty set by other parts of the system.  They aren't responsible for a wrongful conviction. 

The only people who are held liable would be witnesses who commit perjury, and the penalties for perjury are owed to the state, rather than the victim, who it seems would be most entitled.  Of course, anyone can sue anyone for just about anything these days, but I don't recall ever hearing about a trial for wrongful conviction by the justice system.

As for a botched execution, I suppose someone could be accused of botching it on purpose and punished, although I don't think that's ever happened.  It would be an interesting trial. 

Courts often label cases as "the people vs John Smith."  They seemingly deny responsibility for their own involvement in the prosecution by naming "the people", rather than the justice system itself.  In this case, "the people" are an undefinable nonentity, and can't be held responsible for anything.  They don't exist and can't even be offended, and I would think Baruch's suggestion that society should be executed refers to this kind of nonentity.

SGOS

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 09, 2016, 06:04:52 PM
Wouldn't just shorting him in the back of the head be the most efficient and humane way of doing it? *boom dead*

If you're gonna kill him then kill him quick and efficient not pretty

I saw a movie long time ago about Stalin.  I'm sure they had a legal system, but when the administration was upset with someone, they didn't even have a trail.  The offender was walked into this outdoor atrium with blood still on the stone walls from hundreds of previous executions, and shot in the back of the head, seemingly before the offender could understand what was happening to him.  Pretty bare bones efficiency.  The movie didn't portray it as retribution for an offense, just a quick and expedient elimination of a problem, so that they could quickly move on to the next order of business.

SGOS

Apparently, some states do provide compensation for wrongful incarceration.  It varies from state to state:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/03/us/table.wrongful.convictions/

At the top of the alphabetical list is Alabama:

QuoteMinimum of $50,000 for each year of wrongful incarceration.

The wrongfully convicted person can only receive compensation if the Legislature appropriates the funds. A new felony conviction will end the claimant's right to compensation.

Youssuf Ramadan

Carbon monoxide?  A couple down the street and their dog got taken out by a dodgy heater - they were found in the living room, sat down in front of the tv. Sounds like it happened pretty smoothly.... *shrug*

Baruch

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on December 10, 2016, 10:10:04 AM
Carbon monoxide?  A couple down the street and their dog got taken out by a dodgy heater - they were found in the living room, sat down in front of the tv. Sounds like it happened pretty smoothly.... *shrug*

Yes, carbon monoxide is odorless.  Interior self-heaters can be very dangerous, unless vented.  Of course bad furnaces in old houses will do the same thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on December 10, 2016, 11:07:19 AM
Yes, carbon monoxide is odorless.  Interior self-heaters can be very dangerous, unless vented.  Of course bad furnaces in old houses will do the same thing.
CO poisoning happens with tragic frequency in Taiwan, though the situation is getting better as regulations become updated. Most water is heated by small heaters that should be installed outside on the balcony (ubiquitous in Taiwan). Some idiots remodel their houses by putting closeable windows on the exteriors of their balconies. Then when cold weather comes, they die.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 10, 2016, 06:11:40 AM
SJWs would condemn society, not the individual, and execute society.

I am talking about the OP. Please stop talking from your ass.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Johan

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 10, 2016, 12:43:22 AM
No one gains anything when two people each lose an eye.
No one except the guy that makes glass eyes.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm opposed to the death penalty, but if you're going to do it anyway and make a pretence of being humain about it why not just give them a massive overdose of heroin? Painless, quick and cheap, but OH WAIT! Heroin is illegal! . But the problem is we have a society that really doesn't care how barbaric it is nor how much pain and suffering the condemned has to go through. In fact a good number of people would just as soon make it as painful and slow as possible and put it on TV during prime time.. Look up the comments on just about any 'botched execution' and you'll likely find a good number of people who think the person didn't suffer quite enough or who are disappointed that they didn't get to watch it themselves. I would wager that among democratic voters a good number of people would gladly tune in if Trump were to be executed slowly and painfully on live TV so there is more than enough hypocrisy to go around on both sides. You want ratings? Execute people with a razor blade and make it just as bloody and gory as possible and it would get more viewers than any single event ever on television.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.