What are the best arguments against Christianity?

Started by escapades, December 06, 2016, 02:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: davoarid on September 16, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
I feel like this is also a  pretty strong argument against the existence of Enceladus, the ice moon of Saturn, though....so maybe not such a strong one?
What???  Don't get what you are trying to say.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: davoarid on September 16, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
I feel like this is also a  pretty strong argument against the existence of Enceladus, the ice moon of Saturn, though....so maybe not such a strong one?

An ice moon can be directly observed. God cannot. The two things are not equal.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 16, 2017, 11:18:39 PM

Human beings can't be observed either .. they don't exist, there are only semi-random quantum fields.

"Imagine a world that is exactly like this one, except for one thing: God isn't real."

Imagine a world that is exactly like this one, except for one thing: there is no consciousness (people are psychological zombies) ...

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_chalmers_how_do_you_explain_consciousness
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 16, 2017, 11:18:39 PM
Is that what he was driving at?  I wasn't quite sure what he was trying to say.  But if, as you indicate, he thinks 'proving' the existence of any of the planets moons--or the planets themselves--is as difficult as proving god exists, he is simply another blind 'believer' who thinks science is of the devil, or some such baloney.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2017, 10:10:32 AM
Is that what he was driving at?  I wasn't quite sure what he was trying to say.  But if, as you indicate, he thinks 'proving' the existence of any of the planets moons--or the planets themselves--is as difficult as proving god exists, he is simply another blind 'believer' who thinks science is of the devil, or some such baloney.

Of course science is of the devil.  The is only one god, the devil.  And all things come from god.  Therefore all things come from the devil ;-)  Monotheism greatly simplifies things, but most Christians aren't monotheists.  Are you being bigoted toward the devil?  I know you aren't an SJW ... so that is a rhetorical question.  SJWs will defend cannibals as an oppressed minority.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 17, 2017, 10:51:49 AM
Of course science is of the devil.  The is only one god, the devil.  And all things come from god.  Therefore all things come from the devil ;-)  Monotheism greatly simplifies things, but most Christians aren't monotheists.  Are you being bigoted toward the devil?  I know you aren't an SJW ... so that is a rhetorical question.  SJWs will defend cannibals as an oppressed minority.
Yeah, I'd be bigoted toward the devil if he(it) were real; hard to be bigoted toward a fiction.  But I do like what the devil wrote in Mark Twain's, Letters From Earth. 

Mike Cl

This is a tiny bit of what the devil has to say:

“Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute. Indeed, my experiments have proven to me that he is the Unreasoning Animal... In truth, man is incurably foolish. Simple things which other animals easily learn, he is incapable of learning. Among my experiments was this. In an hour I taught a cat and a dog to be friends. I put them in a cage. In another hour I taught them to be friends with a rabbit. In the course of two days I was able to add a fox, a goose, a squirrel and some doves. Finally a monkey. They lived together in peace; even affectionately.

Next, in another cage I confined an Irish Catholic from Tipperary, and as soon as he seemed tame I added a Scotch Presbyterian from Aberdeen. Next a Turk from Constantinople; a Greek Christian from Crete; an Armenian; a Methodist from the wilds of Arkansas; a Buddhist from China; a Brahman from Benares. Finally, a Salvation Army Colonel from Wapping. Then I stayed away for two whole days. When I came back to note results, the cage of Higher Animals was all right, but in the other there was but a chaos of gory odds and ends of turbans and fezzes and plaids and bones and flesh--not a specimen left alive. These Reasoning Animals had disagreed on a theological detail and carried the matter to a Higher Court.”

― Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth: Uncensored Writings

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2017, 11:15:56 AM
This is a tiny bit of what the devil has to say:

“Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute. Indeed, my experiments have proven to me that he is the Unreasoning Animal... In truth, man is incurably foolish. Simple things which other animals easily learn, he is incapable of learning. Among my experiments was this. In an hour I taught a cat and a dog to be friends. I put them in a cage. In another hour I taught them to be friends with a rabbit. In the course of two days I was able to add a fox, a goose, a squirrel and some doves. Finally a monkey. They lived together in peace; even affectionately.

Next, in another cage I confined an Irish Catholic from Tipperary, and as soon as he seemed tame I added a Scotch Presbyterian from Aberdeen. Next a Turk from Constantinople; a Greek Christian from Crete; an Armenian; a Methodist from the wilds of Arkansas; a Buddhist from China; a Brahman from Benares. Finally, a Salvation Army Colonel from Wapping. Then I stayed away for two whole days. When I came back to note results, the cage of Higher Animals was all right, but in the other there was but a chaos of gory odds and ends of turbans and fezzes and plaids and bones and flesh--not a specimen left alive. These Reasoning Animals had disagreed on a theological detail and carried the matter to a Higher Court.”

― Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth: Uncensored Writings

The devil has all humans by the gonads, we are the devil's children .. theists and atheists alike.

The Mysterious Stranger is Mark Twain's last effort, and the open door to post-Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBwgkhNIKA

The ending is quite interesting, from 1:20:00 onward.  Unfinished works usually are.  Life is an unfinished work.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Letters From Earth is one of the writings I stumbled across in college that led me to atheism.  I haven't read the uncensored version--guess I have some reading to catch up on.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 17, 2017, 11:39:37 AM
The devil has all humans by the gonads, we are the devil's children .. theists and atheists alike.

The Mysterious Stranger is Mark Twain's last effort, and the open door to post-Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBwgkhNIKA

The ending is quite interesting, from 1:20:00 onward.  Unfinished works usually are.  Life is an unfinished work.

More sad proof you actually believe in the devil and therefore religion in general.

What drives you to such a sad way of life?  I mean, you come here, present no good reasons to be a theist of any sort, and you waste your time doing it.  Why?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

You come here wanting to be the center of an adoring clique of sycophants.  Why?

Sorry, but putting your fingers in your ear and saying "la la la" won't make humanity go away, or make it different than it is.  Deal with it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.