News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

our day and age

Started by GrinningYMIR, December 02, 2016, 07:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

http://observer.com/2016/12/the-insensitivity-police-now-patrol-many-colleges/

Quote“They degrade education by encouraging silence instead of dialogue, the fragmentation of campuses into groups of like-minded people, and the deliberate avoidance of the most importantâ€"and controversialâ€"topics.”

Anyone ever watch that episode of Battlestar Galactica when they created the tribunal to try to find Cylons in the fleet? Ended up becoming a witch hunt and people were getting accused and imprisoned unfairly, basically that's what the bias protection squad is. It might be based on something good, and yes there is racism in schools, no doubt about that. But it ends up becoming a witch hunt. A mini inquisition if you're feeling poetic.

The fact of the matter is: stuff like a bias protection squad, while created with intent to protect, ends up becoming a thought police type program, only its goal is making everyone equally silent at best, or forcing people to bend to their views at worst.

And while I admit the race themed parties are on the bad side, I think a party with everyone wearing sombreros is far less dangerous/upsetting than a team dedicated to "crushing bias" at any term.

Bias always exists, but whichever bias is most popular is the "right one".
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Why assume that creating an Inquisition is a side effect?  That may be the true goal ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

dtq123

I feel like this relates to this somehow. (I've expanded my song collection quite a bit, so I might just try to respond to everything with a song for a day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9BcGxNRJ0A
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

In college I followed a technical major.  We didn't have much time or regard for philosophy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.