New Neutron Star physics ... works as QM predicts

Started by Baruch, December 02, 2016, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-got-the-first-real-evidence-of-a-strange-quantum-distortion-in-empty-space?

Not very practical info, but anytime GR and QM can be found in the same place, that is where you might make some progress on tying gravity to QM.  Ordinary circumstances aren't powerful enough.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Apologies for getting off topic, but scientists miss the most obvious stuff sometimes.  When I was 12, I pointed out to my geography teacher that not only did SA and Africa fit together, the mountain ranges did too.  I was dismissed.  I also asked how a blob of molten Earth could be thrown off Earth and form the moon (the Pacific Ocean basin was considered to be the result of that at the time).  I was dismissed.  At 15, I asked where birds came from, and if small dinosaurs maybe had feathers. I was dismissed.  At 18, I asked about where mammals originated, how ice ages were caused, how sexual reproduction started, and things like that. I was dismissed.

Being apparently stupid, I majored in History and Political Science, and spent a career in Federal Civil Service managing telecommunications.

Thank Darwin I never became a scientist.  I would have really messed things up!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Unfortunately, US school teachers aren't the pick of the litter.  And they guy who proposed continental drift, was a German who died in WW II.  I think he would feel very justified that science confirmed the incredible insight he had (and when a kid says something, they aren't taken seriously).  Today we can use lasers and satellites to show that the Atlantic is getting wider about one inch per year.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cavebear on February 05, 2017, 05:59:46 AM
Apologies for getting off topic, but scientists miss the most obvious stuff sometimes.  When I was 12, I pointed out to my geography teacher that not only did SA and Africa fit together, the mountain ranges did too.  I was dismissed.  I also asked how a blob of molten Earth could be thrown off Earth and form the moon (the Pacific Ocean basin was considered to be the result of that at the time).  I was dismissed.  At 15, I asked where birds came from, and if small dinosaurs maybe had feathers. I was dismissed.  At 18, I asked about where mammals originated, how ice ages were caused, how sexual reproduction started, and things like that. I was dismissed.

Being apparently stupid, I majored in History and Political Science, and spent a career in Federal Civil Service managing telecommunications.

Thank Darwin I never became a scientist.  I would have really messed things up!

Where in Dog's name did you go to school, Cavebear? A cave? I understand that you were in primary school in the 50's and plate tectonics wasn't confirmed until the late 50's and early 60's. But they taught my mom that South America and Africa had probably been connected in the past when she was in primary school in the early to mid 40's, and she attended primary a one room school house in the mountains of southern Appalachia.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 05, 2017, 10:34:51 AM
Where in Dog's name did you go to school, Cavebear? A cave? I understand that you were in primary school in the 50's and plate tectonics wasn't confirmed until the late 50's and early 60's. But they taught my mom that South America and Africa had probably been connected in the past when she was in primary school in the early to mid 40's, and she attended primary a one room school house in the mountains of southern Appalachia.

His teachers (Berenstein Bears) were hibernating when that was covered in Teacher School ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Neutron stars may not be black holes, but they gravitationally suck ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlTSXr4PfSg

So much for Noah, and Revelations ;-0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 05, 2017, 10:34:51 AM

I went to school in those years in the heart of the Confederacy where they considered treason good and science the spawn of devils.  I had to work my way out of the ignorance with great effort. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!