News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Conversations on Cultural Marxism

Started by drunkenshoe, December 02, 2016, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 04:22:29 AM
There's that "cultural marxist" reference again.  Could you please explain what that means.  I understand "cultural" and I understand "marxist".  I just don't understand the 2 words together.

You are asking for an unbelivable herculean task.

In a nutshell, Cultural Marxism is a critical social theory, actually the only critical social theory against the existing political and economical systems -e.i. communism and capitalism understood in American terms- which are the possible subtructures are based on, concerned about the social change for the 'human' consequences within the existing systems.

It's not one body of accumulation of knowledge.
It's not an ideological, political model or a regime.
It's not a conspiracy to destroy any civilisation on earth.

It's a collective response -different point of views- of a group of German philosophers; an accumulation of criticism. A series of critiques of ideologies AND the critical theory of modern, capitalist society, "the definition of social emancipation and the perceived pathologies of society. Critical theory provides a specific interpretation of Marxist philosophy and reinterprets some of its central economic and political notions such as commodification, reification, fetishization and critique of mass culture." (IEP)

They are known as the Frankfurt School.

QuoteThe Frankfurt School, also known as the Institute of Social Research (Institut für Sozialforschung), is a social and political philosophical movement of thought located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It is the original source of what is known as Critical Theory. The Institute was founded, thanks to a donation by Felix Weil in 1923, with the aim of developing Marxist studies in Germany. The Institute eventually generated a specific school of thought after 1933 when the Nazis forced it to close and move to the United States, where it found hospitality at Columbia University, New York.

They created a ground for critical thought and human accumulation of knowledge mainly in the western civlisation in the last 100 years developed through this understanding of critical theory. This is why Western civilisation has an understanding of INDIVIDUALISM which is a pillar for 'freedom' as much as it can be obtained in a human society.

[We do not need to count those philosophers' names or even discuss the texts they produced.]

The reason you keep hearing the term is that because NOW it's seen as a threat in this centripetal period we are going through; as the result of globalisation in many various terms. So it is being now promoted as some conspiracy planned to destroy the western civilisation.

I think to make an explanation about Hegel vs Marx-Engels, Marxism, Classical Marxism, Frankfurt School and Cultural Marxism; Critical Theory, how it developed, why it developed, why and these long dead old German men are so relevent today in a sense to people from white right western culture -yes a generalisation can be made easily- specifically Americans is almost impossible. Those 'words' and 'concepts' are turned upside down, distorted, painted, cut and paste and reduced to simplistic commercial, political-ideological marketing. (And this is itself actually what uncle Marx tells us happen in human societies if you mess up with capitalism.)

I have no idea how to write something that could let the white middle class Americans to relate to the critical theory that is called cultural marxism while the term is rendered to a rant of 'regressve left' in a country where the any idea of left is as much relevant as Kardashian tv show to a documantery in sociology in terms of its mainstream politics and domestic-international policies.

Those social media vlogs and blogs; where you keep hear about the right white trash 'understanding' and 'criticism' of cultural marxism makes as much sense of a bunch of rabits ranting to the mountain they live in its skirts and bananas in a gun shop display where outside the people protesting with banners read on 'Stop eating apples it is offensive to people with names of Adam and Eve!' in terms of what is cultural marxism; critical social theory for western culture compared to its relation to the today's socio-political and economical development. /rant over

The universal, the key understanding here is THE CRITICAL if you desire to understand the concept which is infact the only critical theory that exists against the human consequences of all forms of substructures built on -in American terms 'capitalism' and 'communism' and other 'systems'- according to marxist theory of substructure and superstructure. If Marxist theory is the criticism of Hegel on its head (call it the referee) and in very crude-simplistic terms, if the match is ever played between the teams called 'communism' and 'capitalism', Cultural Marxism is the football field, not the game. It's the ground for criticising anything related to human society within its superstructure which is one of the two main parts of how a society works, the core idea of Marxist theory; the base of modern sociology and everything in it.

Therefore the irony is, if someone produces 'criticism' against cultural marxism, while perfectly possible and already done well in the past, it is STILL just a cultural marxist response to begin with, because we DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER PARADIGM for criticising and discussing any possible social change in human societies. So it is again the part of class and culture conflict of human development and it is a Marxist criticism.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 02, 2016, 07:54:54 AM
You are asking for an unbelivable herculean task.

In a nutshell, Cultural Marxism is a critical social theory, actually the only critical social theory against the existing political and economical systems -e.i. communism and capitalism understood in American terms- which are the possible subtructures are based on, concerned about the social change for the 'human' consequences within the existing systems... (deleted post)

Therefore the irony is, if someone produces 'criticism' against cultural marxism, while perfectly possible and already done well in the past, it is STILL just a cultural marxist response to begin with, because we DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER PARADIGM for criticising and discussing any possible social change in human societies. So it is again the part of class and culture conflict of human development and it is a Marxist criticism.

So the answer is that no matter what I think, it is STILL "cultural marxism"?  LOL!  You are funny.  Well, OK, actually, that is circular reasoning at best.  And I won't say what it is "at worst" unless provoked.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 02, 2016, 08:29:18 AM

The very winds whispered in soothing accents, and maternal Nature bade me weep no more.  Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep, And yet a third of life is passed in sleep.  Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.  I hasten to laugh at everything, for fear of being obliged to weep.

drunkenshoe

"When the time of the white frost comes, do not eat the yellow snow."

(Shelley is one good thing, but just so you know, I hate Byron. And I'd rather listen what is made of Beaumarchais, not read him.)

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 02, 2016, 10:00:53 AM
"When the time of the white frost comes, do not eat the yellow snow."

Bear Whiz Beer - Its in the water, son, that's why it's yellow!

(Shelley is one good thing, but just so you know, I hate Byron. And I'd rather listen what is made of Beaumarchais, not read him.)

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on December 02, 2016, 10:55:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpzfdC8HGP4

Ah NOW I get it.  You are a Duke Pesta right-wing educational conspirist!  Public education is evil, only the rich should have educated children, etc.  OK.  Just so I know where you are coming from...

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on December 02, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
No Cavebear, you don't get it at all.

Of COURSE I don't, because I don't agree with you.  Disagreement is unforgivable to some people.  I am not possibly able to understand you because I am NOT you. 

BTW, have you noticed you aren't getting many people taking your side?  That doesn't mean you are wrong (as an atheist, I would certainly NEVER say the majority is always right).  But it is a good reason to rethink your views.

Your broad views about racism and Americans in general suggests a reboot.

drunkenshoe

-Stefan Molyneux is an American Government-Jewish 9/11 cospiracy nut. And the interesting part is he thinks that it is not important.

His confusion of the specific 'vocabulary' he uses in the topic is enough to kill someone from ambarrassment if such a thing could happen. Why this man is talking about Marxism or cultural marxism at all? He thinks they are the same thing. :lol:  He also thinks fact and truth is the same thing.

-Duke Pesta is a Catholic anti-common core education conspiracy nut. He is working night and day so decisions about education in the US could be local only and so from sex education to science there won't be a standard, because he believes the federal state is trying to brainwash your kid by bringing secular standards and make a radical sociology experiment with them to feed from. You won't catch him making stupid religious statements.

"Common Core is a way to Communism Core".

In short, federal state is trying to build a communist USA and using schools for it. Beware!

-pr126, is the AF member who continues to post worthless, meaningless material just by reading the titles of those videos. I doubt if he watches any of them at all.

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 02, 2016, 12:10:57 PM
-Stefan Molyneux is an American Government-Jewish 9/11 cospiracy nut. And the interesting part is he thinks that it is not important.

His confusion of the specific 'vocabulary' he uses in the topic is enough to kill someone from ambarrassment if such a thing could happen. Why this man is talking about Marxism or cultural marxism at all? He thinks they are the same thing. :lol:  He also thinks fact and truth is the same thing.

-Duke Pesta is a Catholic anti-common core education conspiracy nut. He is working night and day so decisions about education in the US could be local only and so from sex education to science there won't be a standard, because he believes the federal state is trying to brainwash your kid by bringing secular standards and make a radical sociology experiment with them to feed from. You won't catch him making stupid religious statements.

"Common Core is a way to Communism Core".

In short, federal state is trying to build a communist USA and using schools for it. Beware!

-pr126, is the AF member who continues to post worthless, meaningless material just by reading the titles of those videos. I doubt if he watches any of them at all.

I guess that says it all right there...

drunkenshoe

That Duke Pesta guy looks pretty dangerous to me, to be honest. He is against sexual education and he seems to be advocating for religious education in schools in a very cunning way.

Baruch

In summary ... for Drunkenshoe ... Cultural Marxism is criticism of society, so there is no way to criticize Cultural Marxism without being a Cultural Marxist.  But that is why we have Menshevik and Bolshevik wings ... so thru Hegelian thesis-antithesis ... a synthesis of political correctness will result ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Andrew Breitbart's take on cultural Marxism popped up in my recommended YouTube feed today, probably because I viewed pr126 video.

https://youtu.be/ZIO4oSLwK3A