News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Everybody Is Wrong About God

Started by GSOgymrat, December 01, 2016, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 02, 2016, 08:52:49 AM
What you are describing is called in psychology magical thinking. Per Wiki, "magical thinking is the attribution of causal or synchronistic relationships between actions and events which seemingly cannot be justified by reason and observation." Magical thinking has neurological, psychological, social and maturational components and I find it a fascinating topic.

Oh I am too well aware of "magical thinking".  I see it all around me.  It has been a frustration in society most of my life.  I understand the fascination of the topic, almost like me dealing with my cats who cannot quite understand me, but I do not find it as pleasant.  I once thought the world was progressing.  Now, sometimes, I feel like it is the day before Hypatia was flayed alive and the library burned...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 02, 2016, 10:16:42 AM

The first justifiable reason to have killed Socrates I've ever seen...

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 07:08:55 AM
Is that what theists do; pray for green lights and such and credit a deity when random events work in their favor?
I expect that's exactly what they do. Everything that happens did so just for their benefit, because their deity loves them. They are so important that the infinite omnipotence that is their God makes sure they get exactly what they desire - if it's His will...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 02, 2016, 07:51:03 AM
Yes, at least many do. 

Two actual quotes from theists I know:

"The car wouldn't start after three tries, so I went back in the house and prayed that it would start, and then it started."
"I couldn't get the copy machine to work, so I prayed for it to work.  Then it worked."

Granted, they will admit that sometimes you don't get what you pray for, but they still believe that prayer is always heard by God, who at least gives each prayer thoughtful consideration.

This is why in our society, technicians like auto mechanics and copier repairmen ... are treated like gods!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

ashwana

I haven't read this book. I will get one.

Cavebear

Quote from: ashwana on December 29, 2016, 04:41:11 AM
I haven't read this book. I will get one.

Every hotel room has one.  I used to have to travel a lot.  As fast as I threw the Bibles out of my room, new ones appeared.   A MIRACLE!