News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

the aliens did it

Started by fencerider, November 30, 2016, 01:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2016, 01:16:09 PM
That is primarily a Christian problem, thanks to Pauline theology.  Jews and Muslims wouldn't agree ... being smart is not anti-religion.

Beg to differ.  Pauline theology is basically the accepted Christianity books written a century or so after 0 AD, not having much to do with what the alleged and undocumented "Jesus" ever said, just what early Christians decided what would get them some entry into the Grecan world (which was far easier than entry into the Roman world later).  All The New Testament Books were wholly (and "holy" if you want a pun) fiction written by adherents a century or 2 AD.  They just used the names of the alleged disciples to encourage acceptance among the illiterate and uneducated worshipers.

In fact, "smart" IS anti-religion. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Atheon

Did the OP watch Ridley Scott's Prometheus?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Quote from: Atheon on December 09, 2016, 02:26:22 AM
Did the OP watch Ridley Scott's Prometheus?

Well, *I* did and was fascinated.  Quite a prequel.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2016, 03:05:49 AM
Well, *I* did and was fascinated.  Quite a prequel.
The Prometheus School of Running Away was in session. Otherwise, meh, save for Idris.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 09, 2016, 06:18:01 AM
The Prometheus School of Running Away was in session. Otherwise, meh, save for Idris.

Well, *I* thought seeing the big bad biped sucked into the space octopus chamber was fair play and good riddance.  LOL!

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2016, 01:16:09 PM
That is primarily a Christian problem, thanks to Pauline theology.  Jews and Muslims wouldn't agree ... being smart is not anti-religion.

Yes it is Christian. We remember the tree of 'knowledge'. God wanted us to be stupid. Or the inventors of god.
Being smart is apparently anti-religion in the Muslim world also. I find these numbers explain everything (I think I posted that before but it's so incredible):

Jews: ~ 15 million worldwide, 67 Nobel Prize winners
Islam: ~ 1.6 billion worldwide, 2 Nobel Prize winners

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on December 09, 2016, 07:17:24 PM
Yes it is Christian. We remember the tree of 'knowledge'. God wanted us to be stupid. Or the inventors of god.
Being smart is apparently anti-religion in the Muslim world also. I find these numbers explain everything (I think I posted that before but it's so incredible):

Jews: ~ 15 million worldwide, 67 Nobel Prize winners
Islam: ~ 1.6 billion worldwide, 2 Nobel Prize winners

Christianity is Pauline ... Judaism and Islam are not.  Paul says basically that the wise are stupid and the stupid are wise, because G-d is playing a gotcha game with humanity (aka those who are first will be last, those who are last will be first).  This wheel of fortune model applies to more than just wisdom, but to wealth, power etc ... and is also driven by the notion that all things are fleeting, and the in the end everyone arrives naked into the hands of an angry judge.

Pacific Islanders, as I have been told, have never won any Nobel prizes ... which after Obama, aren't worth much.  On the other hand, the return of Jews from annihilation to prominence ... kind of illustrates part of Paul's higher theology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I have the promethius dvd. Now that you mention it. It is funny that the old fart does everything to stay alive and meet his creator. Then the first thing his creator does is kill him.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: fencerider on December 11, 2016, 10:42:16 AM
I have the promethius dvd. Now that you mention it. It is funny that the old fart does everything to stay alive and meet his creator. Then the first thing his creator does is kill him.
They should have had John Hurt in that role.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2016, 01:52:32 AM
Beg to differ.  Pauline theology is basically the accepted Christianity books written a century or so after 0 AD, not having much to do with what the alleged and undocumented "Jesus" ever said, just what early Christians decided what would get them some entry into the Grecan world (which was far easier than entry into the Roman world later).  All The New Testament Books were wholly (and "holy" if you want a pun) fiction written by adherents a century or 2 AD.  They just used the names of the alleged disciples to encourage acceptance among the illiterate and uneducated worshipers.

In fact, "smart" IS anti-religion. 
Just caught this, there was no "0 AD".  It started with 1.  Now if you could kindly grip firmly on the stick up my ass and give a swift yank I can quit riding your ass about it :raspberries:
This sentence is a lie...