Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Just another lone wolf?

Started by pr126, November 29, 2016, 02:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 02, 2016, 04:42:50 PM
Wow you're almost as cynical as I am!

I am Sheldon Cooper's daddy, and Machiavelli's grandson.  Keep trying to keep up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2016, 07:16:44 PM
I am Sheldon Cooper's daddy, and Machiavelli's grandson.  Keep trying to keep up.
Two very good reasons to encourage condom use.

:)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pr126

Baruch

I fail to understand why the Progressives want to be Eloi ... didn't they see the movie or read the book?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2016, 05:25:18 AM
I fail to understand why the Progressives want to be Eloi ... didn't they see the movie or read the book?
One person freaked out because I chose "Morlock" over "vacuous, vapid, and vacant", er, "Eloi".

BTW, if they remade that today the Eloi would all have X-boxes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pr126

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2016, 05:25:18 AM

It is called education. Or rather it is indoctrination by the Marxist left.
There are quite a few of them on this forum too.

They call themselves "Freethinkers".

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: pr126 on December 05, 2016, 07:21:45 AM
It is called education. Or rather it is indoctrination by the Marxist left.
There are quite a few of them on this forum too.

They call themselves "Freethinkers".

Yvette Mimieux was famous as a philosopher.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I'm not sure why some people rail against Progressives. 

Do you like a 40 hour 5 day work week?

Do you like protection against being fired because the boss doesn't like your political view?

Do you like having company health and life insurance?

Do you like being able to vote?

All Progressive ideas.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Atheon

Do you like being able to travel around without the government monitoring you?

Do you like your privacy?

Do you like not being a slave?

Do you like the fact that you can be educated?

Do you like it when your kids aren't brainwashed with creationism or religious indoctrination in schools?

Do you like being able to express your political opinions without the government punishing you?

Do you like being protected from exploitation by bosses?

Do you like being able to practice the religion of your choice, or none at all, without being punished for it?

Do you like being able to protest public policy?

Do you like being able to freely criticize your leaders?

Do you have an unwanted pregnancy and wish to terminate it safely?

Are you gay but are getting married just light straight people are allowed to do?

If your skin color is different from that of the majority, do you want your skin color to have no bearing on your opportunities in life?

If you live in a war-torn or tyrannical country, do you want to be able to move elsewhere?

If you're sick, do you want to be able to get treatment without bankrupting your family?

Do you like being able to breathe clean air and drink clean water?

Do you like freedom, justice, equality, peace, and fairness?

All liberal ideas.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Quote from: Atheon on December 09, 2016, 04:50:33 AM

All liberal ideas.

Outstanding additions to my poor list.  Thank you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Sometimes opposition (to say Progressives) isn't about what they did in the past, but what they are doing now, or planning to do in the future.  This is exactly why I abandoned the Democrats and Republicans in the 1980s.

Unfortunately, much of what Progressives actually have accomplished, has been overturned since 1980.  That accomplishment wasn't perfect, but was certainly not worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  But reactionary forces can't be reasoned with ... nor can counter-reactionary forces.  There is no place for the US to go, but fail ... because once you break the pool balls with the cue ball, they can't be reformed, just knocked into one of the pockets.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2016, 02:54:51 AM
I'm not sure why some people rail against Progressives. 

Do you like a 40 hour 5 day work week?

Do you like protection against being fired because the boss doesn't like your political view?

Do you like having company health and life insurance?

Do you like being able to vote?

All Progressive ideas.
Progressive is a term that has a history going back to the 19th Century. It's push-button word. Logic is therefore not involved.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Atheon on December 09, 2016, 04:50:33 AM

Do you like your privacy?

Do you like not being a slave?

Do you like the fact that you can be educated?

Do you like it when your kids aren't brainwashed with creationism or religious indoctrination in schools?

Do you like being able to express your political opinions without the government punishing you?

Do you like being protected from exploitation by bosses?

Do you like being able to practice the religion of your choice, or none at all, without being punished for it?

Do you like being able to protest public policy?

Do you like being able to freely criticize your leaders?

Do you have an unwanted pregnancy and wish to terminate it safely?

Are you gay but are getting married just light straight people are allowed to do?

If your skin color is different from that of the majority, do you want your skin color to have no bearing on your opportunities in life?

If you live in a war-torn or tyrannical country, do you want to be able to move elsewhere?

If you're sick, do you want to be able to get treatment without bankrupting your family?

Do you like being able to breathe clean air and drink clean water?

Do you like freedom, justice, equality, peace, and fairness?

All liberal ideas.
But those all stand for things that keep people from making money without regard for the consequences to others. See? Terrible ideas.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Political movement X, taking credit for anything good that has happened in the last 10,000 years ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.