Theist:Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?

Started by John Paul, November 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on November 26, 2016, 05:59:41 PM
You did create the universe (notice the lower case) in a manner of speaking.  Each being is a universe, and you create yourself (partially anyway).
Well, since I'm the only thing that exists, and the universe is nothing more than a product of my mind, then I did create the universe. :)

But if I'm the only thing that exists, why am I bothering to tell you this, since you don't exist? :)

It's lonely being a solipsist! I need to find some fellow solipsists to hang out with :D
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Sorginak

I am not bothering to go through pages of responses to find where Baruch thought that a capital U was and different than a lower cased u in relation to universe. 

Does Baruch think the universe is god?

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on April 26, 2017, 11:30:11 PM
Well, since I'm the only thing that exists, and the universe is nothing more than a product of my mind, then I did create the universe. :)

But if I'm the only thing that exists, why am I bothering to tell you this, since you don't exist? :)

It's lonely being a solipsist! I need to find some fellow solipsists to hang out with :D

A false dichotomy.  The alternative to realism (that there is something real independent of people) isn't that there is just one person, whose mental experience is the only reality (usually consciousness).  There can be multiple people, who have intersecting mental experiences, and mentality can include the subconscious and the unconscious.  In short, you don't have to be a monist or dualist, but a pluralist.  The idea that there are Qualia (sensation independent of people) or Forms (ideas independent of people) or both .. are the usual POV.  I deny Qualia and Forms ... in the sense that to an adult human being, this classic POV is irrelevant to actual experience.  Pragmatically, if it is irrelevant, then I don't care what its "reality status" is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 26, 2017, 11:33:03 PM
I am not bothering to go through pages of responses to find where Baruch thought that a capital U was and different than a lower cased u in relation to universe. 

Does Baruch think the universe is god?

Ananta and I are both pantheists ... so yes, reality is G-d.  But what I mean by reality, isn't what you mean by universe.  So for me, to deny G-d would be to deny reality, to be a nihilist (in context, other people's denial of G-d isn't nihilist).

And yes, in English, U and u are not the same ... U is a capital, used at the start of a sentence or at the start of a proper name.  Otherwise we use u.  And it is a pragmatic convention that makes reading easier.  Other languages, say Hebrew, doesn't have this advantage.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2017, 11:45:58 PM
Ananta and I are both pantheists ... so yes, reality is G-d.  But what I mean by reality, isn't what you mean by universe.  So for me, to deny G-d would be to deny reality, to be a nihilist (in context, other people's denial of G-d isn't nihilist).

And yes, in English, U and u are not the same ... U is a capital, used at the start of a sentence or at the start of a proper name.  Otherwise we use u.  And it is a pragmatic convention that makes reading easier.  Other languages, say Hebrew, doesn't have this advantage.

Instead of Apologising, why not simply state that your reality is not the same that others share?  After all, your reality is most akin to this:

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 26, 2017, 11:52:23 PM
Instead of Apologising, why not simply state that your reality is not the same that others share?  After all, your reality is most akin to this:

The simple reasoning of one man, is worth more than the blind conformism of millions.  Since you yourself are a non-conformist ... aren't you projecting?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on April 27, 2017, 01:50:05 AM
The dude in his avatar did!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ... and I am very consistent (when stating my own position).  It has developed over the last two years I have been here, become more clear to me, and I have shared that here.  Spinoza was a rationalist though, I am an irrationalist ... ideally I would have inked a funny mustache and glasses on that avatar ... to bring out the Groucho Marx aspect.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 27, 2017, 06:28:27 AM
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ... and I am very consistent (when stating my own position).  It has developed over the last two years I have been here, become more clear to me, and I have shared that here.  Spinoza was a rationalist though, I am an irrationalist ... ideally I would have inked a funny mustache and glasses on that avatar ... to bring out the Groucho Marx aspect.

Just about anybody can use microsoft paint, Baruch.
I say: Go for it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

fencerider

Well, since I'm the only thing that exists, and the universe is nothing more than a product of my mind, then I did create the universe.

That's the spirit. Now your ready to be a Wall st CEO
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

I love the discussions.  But really, you are are atheist totally or you are not.  There is no half-way about it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 18, 2017, 02:13:42 AM
I love the discussions.  But really, you are are atheist totally or you are not.  There is no half-way about it.

So you are the Black-White guy or the White-Black guy ... from that late episode of Star Trek Classic?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm wondering why I had you say this...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2017, 03:53:11 AM
So you are the Black-White guy or the White-Black guy?
That shade of gray that you are missing is that NOT everything is NOT black/white.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: SGOS on May 18, 2017, 07:38:55 AM
That shade of gray that you are missing is that NOT everything is NOT black/white.
Uhm.....so.....everything is black and white?

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk