Main Menu

What made you leave the church?

Started by hereweare1, November 25, 2016, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

church people made me leave the church.....and then I actually read the babble....whoa...what a load of crap.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Unlike many, there was never a time when I WAS religious.  I just never was.  And I'm glad to not having to had to fight my way to atheism.  I just always was.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 18, 2017, 03:16:37 AM
Unlike many, there was never a time when I WAS religious.  I just never was.  And I'm glad to not having to had to fight my way to atheism.  I just always was.

Exactly ... only a demigod could be like that ... Mr Always Was.

Is it the social aspect you never were a part of ... or are you claiming that you have never engaged in magical thinking?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 18, 2017, 03:16:37 AM
I had to fight my way, but the journey was highly rewarding.  The part that pisses me off is that fighting to find my way to reality only happened because I had been fed a whole bunch of untruths by my family and society.  It pisses me off that people would do this to children.  Well, it pisses me off that it was done to me.  No one should have to fight just to be normal.  You should just be allowed to be normal.  It's like someone takes a normal child at a young age, and deprives him of reality by forcing him into a fantasy world, so that his  purpose in life then becomes finding his way out of the fantasy.  Hell, I could have spent that time bettering myself, morally, financially, and emotionally.  It is perhaps the most rewarding waste of time I have ever had to deal with.  LOL

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 18, 2017, 07:29:45 AM
I had to fight my way, but the journey was highly rewarding.  The part that pisses me off is that fighting to find my way to reality only happened because I had been fed a whole bunch of untruths by my family and society.  It pisses me off that people would do this to children.  Well, it pisses me off that it was done to me.  No one should have to fight just to be normal.  You should just be allowed to be normal.  It's like someone takes a normal child at a young age, and deprives him of reality by forcing him into a fantasy world, so that his  purpose in life then becomes finding his way out of the fantasy.  Hell, I could have spent that time bettering myself, morally, financially, and emotionally.  It is perhaps the most rewarding waste of time I have ever had to deal with.  LOL

Unfortunately ... the alternative is keeping babies free of language and culture until they are 21 ... when they can be let out of the language/culture free box, to be indoctrinated by SJW folks ;-)  Or are you just complaining that life isn't fair?  That would be very SJW.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2017, 12:44:51 PM
Unfortunately ... the alternative is keeping babies free of language and culture until they are 21 ... when they can be let out of the language/culture free box, to be indoctrinated by SJW folks ;-)  Or are you just complaining that life isn't fair?  That would be very SJW.
Life isn't always fair.  I accept that, but I don't want a refund.  I'll just make do with it.

Unbeliever

Yeah, life sucks, then Chump get's elected...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 18, 2017, 05:16:01 PM
Yeah, life sucks, then Chump get's elected...

Is being SJW being like ... a teenager?  Get over it already.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 18, 2017, 07:29:45 AM

You went through a struggle I am glad not to have had.  I simply wasn't ever religious.  That said, there were incidents...

When I was a child (and my "wayward" ways must have been obvious even then - I was a Santa-skeptic at 8) my maternal grandfather took me for a walk and (!) ended up in a church.  I walked out.

As a Boy Scout, I needed to do church service to get Eagle rank.  I refused.

As a Boy Scout, I went silent on the "reverent" part of the  Oath and Law.

Years later, when Paul Trout was expelled from the Boy Scouts because he was an atheist, I sent all my uniforms and badges back the Boy Scout headquarters.

After that, as a telecommunications manager at a Federal Agency, I looked up "dial a' numbers (such calls were forbidden then) and found "dial an atheist".  I called the number ASAP at home and discovered, for the first time, I wasn't the only atheist in the world.  And I never looked back.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

We are not alone.  We are all part of one or more tribes.  But being "unusual" as a child is something I am also familiar with (my eyes have a congenital birth defect and I stammered until I to to college).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.