Billionaire. Creationist. Education Secretary. Meet Betsy DeVos.

Started by Shiranu, November 26, 2016, 02:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on November 29, 2016, 04:10:26 PM
I got the book many years ago, being recommended by a men's group I joined after my divorce. For me it's not a battle of the sexes (after all we need each other for reproduction if nothing else) but a battle of survival of our species. Bly doesn't address this issue at all. He just walks a thin line between masculinity and chauvinism.
To stay with the subject of the thread, It is repulsive that money can buy govt. positions without regard of qualification.

With aristocracy, you don't even need money, just the right momma or poppa ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on November 29, 2016, 07:49:38 PM
Instead of draining the swamp, he is filling it even more with nepotism. I am still in disbelief that so many people got fooled by this con artist.

Pericles was a con artist ... want to make something of it, you Spartan punk! ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 29, 2016, 06:23:52 PM
Sadly many people voted for Trump with the mistaken belief that as an outsider he would stop cronyism and corruption.

Yeah, Hillary is such an outsider!  And I really was fooled by Obama, I though he was an outsider too ... for real.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice ... call me a voter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on November 29, 2016, 08:04:12 PM
Pericles was a con artist ... want to make something of it, you Spartan punk! ;-)

So many political con artists throughout history... they all operate with the same playbook by appealing to basic human emotions like fear, hatred, anger and paranoia. The frustrating part is that we haven't learned how to spot and avoid these shysters.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on November 29, 2016, 09:52:45 PM
So many political con artists throughout history... they all operate with the same playbook by appealing to basic human emotions like fear, hatred, anger and paranoia. The frustrating part is that we haven't learned how to spot and avoid these shysters.

A new generation of "babes in the woods" are born every year.  Just ask the Catholic priests?  Just about the time you figure things out, you are in the nursing home having Bob give you a sponge bath.  Children never listen to their parents, they just reinvent the wheel over and over.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Wow, Chump's draining the Swamp - eww, quick, fill it up again!!!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Nonsensei

Quote from: reasonist on November 29, 2016, 07:49:38 PM
Instead of draining the swamp, he is filling it even more with nepotism. I am still in disbelief that so many people got fooled by this con artist.

I'm not in disbelief that they got fooled. I am in disbelief that they continue to insist he is the greatest president ever.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 01, 2016, 12:27:42 AM
I'm not in disbelief that they got fooled. I am in disbelief that they continue to insist he is the greatest president ever.

Well the Nobel committee can help ... give Donald a peace prize and a physics prize before he does anything ... take that Obama!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Trump's appointments are increasingly odd and opposite of what he promised in his campaign.  He is going to have a hard time as President.  And so will we all.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Hell, Chump's just having fun - it's the rest of us who'll suffer.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 02, 2016, 05:30:49 PM
Hell, Chump's just having fun - it's the rest of us who'll suffer.

Trump is creating a chaotic government and he feels comfortable in chaos.  It is his skill set.  I suspect what he wants to see is people who hate particular agencies running them so that HE came come in and rescue some parts and let his appointees take all the heat.  That way he looks wonderful and he can fire the bad guys and gals (gaining him reality cred).

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2016, 06:10:56 AM
Trump is creating a chaotic government and he feels comfortable in chaos.  It is his skill set.  I suspect what he wants to see is people who hate particular agencies running them so that HE came come in and rescue some parts and let his appointees take all the heat.  That way he looks wonderful and he can fire the bad guys and gals (gaining him reality cred).

Defenestrating the upper 10% of the non-elected bureaucracy ... might not be a bad idea.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The non-elected top 10% of government is not the people who keep things working in spite of all the criticism they get.  I was one of the 90% who worked hard every day to save money and make things work. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 22, 2016, 12:29:32 AM
The non-elected top 10% of government is not the people who keep things working in spite of all the criticism they get.  I was one of the 90% who worked hard every day to save money and make things work.

I still work with the DoD ... and 90% are the workers (and our department potentially gets shot at when deployed).  People who don't like government, or who don't like people, aren't going to be sympathetic to the average government worker.  The executive leadership on the other hand ... are mostly failures at everything they touch, in the private and public sectors.  The 90% are always used to bail out the failures of the 10%.  You and I need to get bailing, the ship is taking on water!

Drain the Swamp ... what is that?  It is clear it doesn't mean a Republican is going to fire all the Republicans.  Why would that ever happen?  It means a Republican is going to fire all the Democrats.  This is a stupid meme, and I am sure that before the election, Republicans knew what it really meant, even if Democrats didn't, and still don't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 06:57:51 AM
I still work with the DoD ... and 90% are the workers (and our department potentially gets shot at when deployed).  People who don't like government, or who don't like people, aren't going to be sympathetic to the average government worker.  The executive leadership on the other hand ... are mostly failures at everything they touch, in the private and public sectors.  The 90% are always used to bail out the failures of the 10%.  You and I need to get bailing, the ship is taking on water!

Drain the Swamp ... what is that?  It is clear it doesn't mean a Republican is going to fire all the Republicans.  Why would that ever happen?  It means a Republican is going to fire all the Democrats.  This is a stupid meme, and I am sure that before the election, Republicans knew what it really meant, even if Democrats didn't, and still don't.

When the idea of "fixing" the government means actively destroying the agencies dedicated to working on those problems, that is not "a good thing".  Trump is deliberately placing people in charge of agencies whose primary desire is to eliminate those agencies.  This is NOT "governance".  This IS anarchy.