Billionaire. Creationist. Education Secretary. Meet Betsy DeVos.

Started by Shiranu, November 26, 2016, 02:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Confirmed?!  WTF.  I've never seen someone more unqualified for the position yet they get the position anyway. This seems to be the recurring theme of the Trump administration

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/5-head-scratching-moments-from-betsey-devoss-confirmation-hearing/2017/01/18/0df60b18-dd5e-11e6-8902-610fe486791c_video.html

What a horrible candidate and horrible judgement by whatever idiot recommended her.  That person might not have the wherewithal to regret the decision, but I guarantee you America will.  I can't wait to watch my tax money rerouted from public schools to creationist "schools".

Sal1981

Seems like the rich are not only insulated to the experience of the poor, but basic facts as well.

Hydra009

Confirmation vote details.  Almost entirely along party lines.  Two Republicans voted no, but it wasn't enough to swing it.

Both NC senators voted for DeVos.  If either of these imbeciles had lost their seat in earlier elections, the outcome of this vote would have been different.  Woulda.  Coulda.  Shoulda.

trdsf

I love that Pence was forced to cast the tiebreaker.  Because now, when the world begins collapsing around them, Pence can not claim to be the adult in the room and ready to take over, and not a part of the freak show.  He is now complicit far beyond merely giving the imprimatur of his presence as a Real Experienced Politician.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Don't like DeVos.  Another unqualified nominee like this one ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Pritzker

She funded Obama's whole career ... Chicago deep pockets.

The Democrats did get one kill ... the Army Secretary withdrew his nomination.  Whee!  Do Donkey Kong!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

While she wouldn't have been my first pick, Pritzker's qualifications for Secretary of Commerce are head and shoulders above those of Devos for Secretary of Education.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

You are right about DeVos ... but I think easily impressed by Pritzker ... she is an older Chelsea Clinton.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

what kind of craziness is she going to teach? .... maybe if you don't hate muslims or if you're an atheist, then you are an unpatriotic American? will she teach that the wall is holding back the forces of evil like a dyke holds back the ocean?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 08, 2017, 01:49:43 AM
what kind of craziness is she going to teach? .... maybe if you don't hate muslims or if you're an atheist, then you are an unpatriotic American? will she teach that the wall is holding back the forces of evil like a dyke holds back the ocean?

Works for the Dutch, but I don't think it kept out the bull dykes ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 10:12:24 PM
You are right about DeVos ... but I think easily impressed by Pritzker ... she is an older Chelsea Clinton.

I'm not impressed by Pritzker, but she does at least have some experience in commerce related management. Devos' experience in public education management?

Crickets
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 08, 2017, 06:55:03 AM
I'm not impressed by Pritzker, but she does at least have some experience in commerce related management. Devos' experience in public education management?

Crickets

That is how every President hands out ambassadorships ... do you look good in a good suit or a formal dress.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2017, 02:09:02 PM
What a horrible candidate and horrible judgement by whatever idiot recommended her.  That person might not have the wherewithal to regret the decision, but I guarantee you America will.  I can't wait to watch my tax money rerouted from public schools to creationist "schools".

They have an agenda, and by that metric they aren't idiots - just very power-hungry.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:49:43 PM
The Democrats did get one kill ... the Army Secretary withdrew his nomination.  Whee!  Do Donkey Kong!
The Dems didn't do that, though, he backed out because his money interests were just too complicated. They tend to get that way when you have an obscene amount of the stuff.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 08, 2017, 07:28:43 PM
The Dems didn't do that, though, he backed out because his money interests were just too complicated. They tend to get that way when you have an obscene amount of the stuff.

Yes, if you look at the details Democrat strength is actually at -10 not even +1.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.