News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What made you leave the church?

Started by hereweare1, November 25, 2016, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SatanicJesus on March 10, 2017, 02:08:02 AM
I'm just curious what you mean by being a spiritual guy?

That didn't take long.  I am one of the resident non-atheists here.  I read/post for my own psycho-somatic therapy.  And to give the other regulars some subversion.  One can laugh or cry ... I prefer to laugh ... and I don't mind your subversive avatar one bit.  I consider G-d to be like Cthulhu.  Monstrous.  To more directly answer you ... I am a kosher shaman or Jewish mystic.  I experience G-d all the time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

I like kosher pickles.  But I don't think the good flavor has anything to do with being kosher.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 10, 2017, 05:41:38 PM
I like kosher pickles.  But I don't think the good flavor has anything to do with being kosher.

Kosher -  not pissed and crapped in by nasty Gentiles.  Halal for Muslims means the same ... not passed and crapped in by nasty Infidels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 10, 2017, 03:58:15 PM
So, you can be served at a Jewish deli?

Nothing wrong with non-kosher shamen.  Medicine men of the Navaho for example.

Like your new picture ... you know a triple face like that is a symbol of Vishnu.  Are you going to go all Hindu on us?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SatanicJesus

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2017, 06:00:40 AM
That didn't take long.  I am one of the resident non-atheists here.  I read/post for my own psycho-somatic therapy.  And to give the other regulars some subversion.  One can laugh or cry ... I prefer to laugh ... and I don't mind your subversive avatar one bit.  I consider G-d to be like Cthulhu.  Monstrous.  To more directly answer you ... I am a kosher shaman or Jewish mystic.  I experience G-d all the time.

Damn this thread exploded. Anyway, I prefer to laugh too and subversion is key to my sense of humor.

I feel spiritual too. Like I still pray to what I think is nothing, but hopefully some unknown unknown will grant some indirect guidance, just to feel good. But deep down I think I am just satisfying a portion of my brain that is nothing more than a primitive superstition which helped our ancestors survive. 

I guess that's how I come to define my "spirituality" I guess.......

Baruch

Quote from: SatanicJesus on March 10, 2017, 09:38:29 PM
Damn this thread exploded. Anyway, I prefer to laugh too and subversion is key to my sense of humor.

I feel spiritual too. Like I still pray to what I think is nothing, but hopefully some unknown unknown will grant some indirect guidance, just to feel good. But deep down I think I am just satisfying a portion of my brain that is nothing more than a primitive superstition which helped our ancestors survive. 

I guess that's how I come to define my "spirituality" I guess.......

It is all psychology and sociology, all the say down.  Ontological argument is a boring waste of time.  You do what you do, either singular "you" or plural "you" ... and as an anthropologist, I just stand back and watch, except then it is time to throw another banana in the midst of the ape men.  Many people here make epistemological arguments, yet don't like philosophy.  They are just trying to throw some glad rags on their materialistic nakedness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2017, 07:39:18 PM
Nothing wrong with non-kosher shamen.  Medicine men of the Navaho for example.

Like your new picture ... you know a triple face like that is a symbol of Vishnu.  Are you going to go all Hindu on us?
Nah, I just found something that would fit well in the space allowed.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Ro3bert

I don't know how to respond to this thread. As many churches I attended I never really was a part in the sense I went but was never really a part of. Oh, I attended and participated but it was on a non-participatory sense. It's difficult to explain. I believed but I didn't believe if that makes any sense.

Sundays, religion, in the time I went to church, was reserved for Sundays, it was a time for ceremony which I never really believed in. The pageantry really didn't suit me, I'd rather be alone. (I've had a bit too much rum and coke tonight for me to be really coherent so please excuse me).

In any case I was never a real church member, always, rather, a skeptic who went to church as a matter of trying to fit into a life that never really fit me. In those days I was not really aware of being an atheist.

The Bible and God never made sence to me, that Jesus Christ was some sort of Savior who loved and protected me made no sense whatsoever. I never could see that I was some sort of sheep who that was guided by a supernatural being. I have to admit I never gave the whole thing much thought. I would have been a true pagan if I'd never been exposed to religion.

I don't think I'm making much sense here so I'll stop and say "good night Mrs Calabash wherever you are".

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2017, 08:41:27 AM
Christopher Hitchens works for me. 
But, just like yourself - atheist dead!
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Ro3bert on April 26, 2017, 08:15:06 PM
(I've had a bit too much rum and coke tonight for me to be really coherent so please excuse me).
I've always preferred those who mix drinks rather than metaphors... :jook:

Ah, yes, good old Jimmy!

God Not Found

fencerider

unfortunately I didnt discover Hitchens on yutube until 3 or 4 more months ago. I missed the chance to go to one of his events.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

trdsf

I read Hitch regularly in The Nation, although his ongoing pissing match with Alexander Cockburn got tiresome.  Annoying, since I was a fan of both writers.  I would've loved to see Hitch 'in concert', as it were -- I offer as a tribute to his skill as a writer that I could go from wanting to punch him in the nose to wanting to buy him a drink (or vice versa) within the span of a single sentence.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 26, 2017, 08:27:03 PM
But, just like yourself - atheist dead!

So he is, so will I someday be, so shall we all be.  I expect to die an acknowledged atheist.  One never knows what effects old age and dementia may cause, but I will be an atheist until my mind is no longer capable of rational thought.

I have an instructional paper in my Will stating that any statement by me in dotage is not to be understood as a change in my atheism.  I.E., any deathbed loss of mental abilities is NOT to be taken as a change of a lifetime of atheistic certainty.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!