News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What I like about Islam ...

Started by Baruch, November 25, 2016, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

interpreters say, the correct reading of Scripture is a mystery ;-)  So is any ideology/religion not totally pacifistic (the Jains in India) OK?  Or are we simply self-hating omnivores?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Did you mean to ask if any weren't?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 26, 2016, 04:23:16 PM
I see Pops, you read the quran and the bible with one eye open and one eye closed.  And you use a huge amount of blindness (to get through the shit in both) and fantasy.  Both preach peace?  :))))))  yeah, right!
I didn't say they follow the teaching. But they do teach the same things, just like the Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, core Hindu teachings, and many others.

I don't turn a blind eye to the hypocricy or prejudice of organized religions. I am very aware of them and actively attempt to bring them and the actual harmony of faith to as many people's attention as I can.

Peace

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 26, 2016, 05:19:53 PM
I didn't say they follow the teaching. But they do teach the same things, just like the Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, core Hindu teachings, and many others.

I don't turn a blind eye to the hypocricy or prejudice of organized religions. I am very aware of them and actively attempt to bring them and the actual harmony of faith to as many people's attention as I can.

Peace
Yeah, I know, Pops.  If all theists were as harmless as you, that would solve much.  But faith is not harmony--it is simply profound and willful blindness.  And that is why the faithful can be lead around by the nose and told that shit smells like roses--and believe!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

The reason why people are dangerous is politics.  I have something, and you want to take it, and I won't let you.  We use ideology and theology to justify this ... but you shouldn't blame theology (other than being stupifying).  In some societies, where politics and religion are one and the same (theocracy) this is a hard thing to separate though.  Progressive America is post-Christian, it isn't really atheist.  That post-Christianity is a threat, as everyone here knows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 26, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
Yeah, I know, Pops.  If all theists were as harmless as you, that would solve much.  But faith is not harmony--it is simply profound and willful blindness.  And that is why the faithful can be lead around by the nose and told that shit smells like roses--and believe!
That's just fd up and wrong.

Given your own testimony about my faith based on your interaction with me, you seem to conclude the opposite of blind gullibility.....well maybe not the opposite, but still; so you can't justifiably say that the substance of the faith of others is wholly ignorant bliss.

Is it not true that the mass in general is not privileged to the truths and realities of things. Take science for example; the general mass may know a little of some of the very basics of science in general, but in no real way understand any of the fields of study with any breadth, let alone all of them. The same could be said for any scenario in life or experience I would think. Honestly though; I must agree to some extent, and this is a main drive for me and a remembrance of the reasons I started talking (forums) in the first place. People do need to understand that faith has two meanings or rather goes two ways.
If one has faith in the promises of GOD, then too they must be faithful to those promises. This has many different implications.  Basically I'm trying to say that the actual faithful live faithfully, or at very least strive, or continually contend to.

This could easily be grasped and used by atheist or deists actually, and I'm sure it is. Basically it all goes back to the conscience. To live in accordance to the selfless conscience (there are many names for it (that one seems more apt to me)) is to follow what is good and right, and one should strive to attain to such at all conceivable points.

Also summing it up would be to say love GOD (of which there is a sort of connection to in the selfless conscience(it and life and existence in general are all of GOD, but so much more so the former more than the latter.))

And of course; love your neighbor as yourself.

Is it possible that some here dislike the theists themselves for x reason, more than the potential of a higher power?

The beginning of this post is a little harsh, and I agree that the seeming object of the faith of some is misplaced. But that doesn't mean faith in GOD is misplaced.

peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on November 26, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
The reason why people are dangerous is politics.  I have something, and you want to take it, and I won't let you.  We use ideology and theology to justify this ... but you shouldn't blame theology (other than being stupifying).  In some societies, where politics and religion are one and the same (theocracy) this is a hard thing to separate though.  Progressive America is post-Christian, it isn't really atheist.  That post-Christianity is a threat, as everyone here knows.
What is post Christianity and how is it a threat?

peace

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 26, 2016, 09:41:27 PM
That's just fd up and wrong.

Given your own testimony about my faith based on your interaction with me, you seem to conclude the opposite of blind gullibility.....well maybe not the opposite, but still; so you can't justifiably say that the substance of the faith of others is wholly ignorant bliss.

Well, yes, I can say that faith is blind and the substance of faith is wholly ignorance, whether blissful or not. I don't have faith in anything.  This is what google says of faith:  strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms:   religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"

I need proof or evidence for something before I think that it exists or is an actual fact.  Your faith demands no proof, and I think your bible says that blind faith is the best faith; true faith.  I call it a fancy word for wishful thinking or just wishing something was or is true.  A person of faith does not need to think or reason about something to accept it as actual fact.  That is blindness of the worst sort. 

I have not seen one shred of evidence that anything exists outside of nature.  You, and others, insist that the natural world has to have a first cause.  I'm sure it did--I have idea what that may be, though, so I just file that away under not enough evidence discovered yet to figure it out.  I don't lose sleep over that though.  Yet you then reject the need for your god to have a first cause.  So, if all needs to have a first cause, then what caused the first cause???  That line of questioning can go on forever.  Until I have some evidence that something unnatural exists, I'll have to say that no such evidence exists.  God simply cannot exist.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 26, 2016, 09:43:22 PM
What is post Christianity and how is it a threat?

peace

Real atheists would reject everything in Western civilization, not just the Church and Synagogue.  And cosmopolitan atheists would have to reject Eastern civilization as well ... so they are basically anti-social types like Stalin and Mao.  Ultimately I think that while Hitler used both Christian and Pagan symbols, he was profoundly atheist (in the original meaning of the term).  But the people here are bohemians, not real atheists, not real anti-social types.  The Unabomber, a hermit, would be a better example, as were the Desert Fathers who sat at the top of tall pillars or sadhus in India growing atrophied limbs and foot long fingernails.  Atheists here aren't atheists like that .... they are etymological atheists, who use etymology of a-theism to explain themselves.

Post-Christians are simply bad Christians or former Christians ... as most people posting here are.  They really haven't stopped being Christian internally, just externally.  But you may be right, that there is a universal conscience, natural or man-made ... and many posters would agree with you.  Post-Christianity (self-examination would show this) is a threat to their self-image.  They are still treif.  Civilization and its discontents, a true nihilist would abandon all human comfort, and even human language, and live as an animal in the fields (per Planet of the Apes).  And that might be our real future ... back to the mute animal state ... because what goes up must come down.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: doorknob on November 26, 2016, 02:32:34 PMI've never had Arabian food or Islamic food. I'm a bit jealous.
I've had some, though it was (probably wisely) marketed as Mediterranean food.  A lot of the menu was Greek cuisine, but there was also a lot of Levantine cuisine.  I was particularly fond of the tabbouleh and za'atar bread, both of which originate in the Middle East.

Shiranu

If ever given the chance, go for Afghani and Moroccan food. I am biased towards the Levant, but jesus christ on a stick those two, especially Afghani , are out standing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Halal Guys in NYC is great. It will give you massive diarrhea, but it tastes amazing

PickelledEggs

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 26, 2016, 10:25:22 PM
Well, yes, I can say that faith is blind and the substance of faith is wholly ignorance, whether blissful or not. I don't have faith in anything.  This is what google says of faith:  strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms:   religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"

I need proof or evidence for something before I think that it exists or is an actual fact.  Your faith demands no proof, and I think your bible says that blind faith is the best faith; true faith.  I call it a fancy word for wishful thinking or just wishing something was or is true.  A person of faith does not need to think or reason about something to accept it as actual fact.  That is blindness of the worst sort. 

I have not seen one shred of evidence that anything exists outside of nature.  You, and others, insist that the natural world has to have a first cause.  I'm sure it did--I have idea what that may be, though, so I just file that away under not enough evidence discovered yet to figure it out.  I don't lose sleep over that though.  Yet you then reject the need for your god to have a first cause.  So, if all needs to have a first cause, then what caused the first cause???  That line of questioning can go on forever.  Until I have some evidence that something unnatural exists, I'll have to say that no such evidence exists.  God simply cannot exist.
I agree that all is natural. But the argument that a thing outside of the laws of the known universe must conform to those same laws is silly to me. Just because a thing isn't readily observable or readily testable through limited scientific means doesn't mean it is supernatural or make believe.

Google's usually pretty accurate but faith isn't synonymous with church or religion and blind faith. Those can be related but not synonyms.

Anyway.

Peace