I need time away from the shit in the news..

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 24, 2016, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

For some goddamned reason I must be a real bastard for wanting to think about other things besides politics and yet I'm not allowed to. I've been trying to get it through my gf's mind that it's just chewing me up inside and I need other thoughts besides shit I have little to no control over. I've repeated the request over and over and yet if I mention ANYTHING at all about anything remotely connected to the subject it's ME who is bringing it up even though she spends all fucking day mulling over political what ifs and wanting me to discuss it for what feels like round the clock bullshit. I just want an hour or two a day when I can have other things on my mind, but now it's one big fucking argument over who brought up what about politics when I have all but lost interest. I've decided to not mention one word about it. It's destroying our relationship and all she can think about is some bullshit what if political gamesmanship that is almost purely pie in the sky thinking..  Fuck! I might  as well pray for Donald Trump to become the champion of progressive politics and call it a day.
Well played rubes. Now bf and gf are at each others throats over not giving a shit about what's going on. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

Its hard to avoid the news even when you want to, since someone, friend, family, workmate, will bring it up, have a newspaper laying around, it will pop up on a website, and so on.
I always find the best way to try to avoid it is with tunnel vision and only relaxing yourself when your into something whats more what you want to do, gaming, watching films, reading a book, organizing files
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Politics is poison ... and making everything into politics is to poison everything.

On the other hand, one complains less, if they get engaged.  Send your GF out to some group planning for the next election.  Just bitching won't cut it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

The hell of it is we're pretty much on the same page politically, but one of us wants to rehash it over and over and one of us kind of wants it to just go away.. I'm in the go away camp even though it won't. I finally broke down and apologized for getting pissed off..

Baruch

An gratuitous apology when you are innocent ... is a good thing.

A sincere apology when you are guilty ... is priceless ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah well.. I'm still in love and don't want it all to crash and burn.  Sometimes I just have to suck it up to keep the peace and despite the notion that apologies are a sign of weakness I still do it from time to time.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 24, 2016, 08:06:02 PM
Yeah well.. I'm still in love and don't want it all to crash and burn.  Sometimes I just have to suck it up to keep the peace and despite the notion that apologies are a sign of weakness I still do it from time to time.

You want to be strong?  So you want to be a thug?  Thugs think gentlemen and ladies are weak.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's not as if I'm wearing a dress today. Actually I apologized for slamming the door and the immortal word, "Go fuck yourself then."  I'm pretty lucky to have gotten away with it in the first place. 

Cavebear

I want to get away from political news too, but it is nearly impossible.  I have taken to watching and re-watching my collections of science/history/nature DVDs and listening to the local classical music radio station.  Except on Saturday when they play that awful opera crap.  It sounds like tortured weasels...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!