General musing about Christianity and idolatry

Started by widdershins, November 23, 2016, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack89

Quote from: Baruch on November 29, 2016, 12:32:08 PM
I am not sure that G-d has a will, and without a will, it gets dicey if G-d is personal or impersonal.  However the non-scriptural "will of G-d" could be seen as pro-life ... but since I see life and death inseparable, then that becomes a bit of a problem itself.  Do you think that a god would be pro-life?
Good question.  I once read a book titled "God is a Verb", written by a Rabbi.  It was about mystical Judaism, Kabbalah, and while I don't remember most of it, the suggestion of the title stuck.  If what this Rabbi suggests is true, then God wouldn't have a will, but would be will itself, the will to goodness I presume.  I suppose you then have to determine if there is objective good, which I think there is, and work from there.  So yes, I think God is pro-life.

I know you weren't asking me, but what an interesting line of thought. 

Baruch

I have that book on my shelf ... and that Rabbi is more correct than an army of other theologians.  Those who can, do.  Those who can't do, manage.  Those who can't manage, theologize ;-)

A book, the right one, can displace you out of your present POV ... this is a good thing.  But you have to dig into the spirit of the thing, like watering a plant, if you expect fruit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

QuoteThose who can't manage, theologize ;-)

And yet, as Ghandi said, "Out of all the lies, theology has been the most effective."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 30, 2016, 08:13:23 PM
And yet, as Ghandi said, "Out of all the lies, theology has been the most effective."

The Buddha would approve.  Lies are medicine, you have to apply the right ones at the right time, for enlightenment.  A materialist needs more spirituality, a spiritualist needs more materiality.  It is Ayurvedic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 07:22:54 AM
The Buddha would approve.  Lies are medicine, you have to apply the right ones at the right time, for enlightenment.  A materialist needs more spirituality, a spiritualist needs more materiality.  It is Ayurvedic.
Yes, of course, moderation in all things.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 01, 2016, 10:25:53 AM
Yes, of course, moderation in all things.

There is much sickness here ;-)  I don't know if I should tickle with a feather or smack with a 2x4 ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 07:22:54 AM
Lies are medicine,

So maybe we should start referring to "Doctor Trump"?

God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 12:56:15 PM
There is much sickness here ;-)  I don't know if I should tickle with a feather or smack with a 2x4 ;-))
Use a 2 x 4 feather.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 01, 2016, 03:54:01 PM
So maybe we should start referring to "Doctor Trump"?

Definitely looks like he has a future in proctology ... for Democrats ;-)  But that can't be, he isn't a brown nose ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 08:06:17 PM
Definitely looks like he has a future in proctology ... for Democrats ;-)  But that can't be, he isn't a brown nose ;-))

He isn't a brown-nose?  Tell that to Carrier/United Technologies who just got $7M for shifting a few jobs around.  Trump and Pence PAID them to SEEM to stay in the US to make them look good.  So much for "There will be CONSEQUENCES if you leave the US... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 02:31:10 AM
He isn't a brown-nose?  Tell that to Carrier/United Technologies who just got $7M for shifting a few jobs around.  Trump and Pence PAID them to SEEM to stay in the US to make them look good.  So much for "There will be CONSEQUENCES if you leave the US...

So you would prefer the Carrier management to go to Guantanamo?  The government is constantly bribing people ... only problem is, the government doesn't work hard enough at bribing me ;-)  I would much prefer bribes over actual threats.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2016, 07:34:19 AM
So you would prefer the Carrier management to go to Guantanamo?  The government is constantly bribing people ... only problem is, the government doesn't work hard enough at bribing me ;-)  I would much prefer bribes over actual threats.

Where did you get Guantonomo from?  It was Mexico.  But I would LOVE it if the Carrier MANAGEMENT went there and left the workers behind working. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 07:37:55 AM
Where did you get Guantonomo from?  It was Mexico.  But I would LOVE it if the Carrier MANAGEMENT went there and left the workers behind working.

Have you been asleep since the first Clinton administration, and just woke up?  That is where the bi-partisans send enemies of the State.  Like Osama's car driver.  Oooo ... be afraid, very afraid!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 08:06:17 PM
Yeah, but orange is the new brown...
God Not Found

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 29, 2016, 12:22:27 PM
Pops, there you go again.  There is no 'known' will of god.  It is different for every single person who claims there is a will of god.  I find that evidence there is no god.
I don't know what people you have spoken to.

Besides that; I based my comment on the personal reading of core texts of different religions.

peace