News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy Thanksgiving

Started by SGOS, November 23, 2016, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 30, 2016, 07:57:17 PM
I ran into a Native buddy the other day, and after a bit of inconsequential chit-chat I asked him if he'd been keeping up with the goings on in N.D., and he says "Not my tribe." I was a bit taken aback, to say the least.

This is how us uber-Eurpeons conquered them.  But first you have to get the Left hand Aztecs fighting the Right hand Aztecs ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I ran into a Native buddy the other day, and after a bit of inconsequential chit-chat I asked him if he'd been keeping up with the goings on in N.D., and he says "Not my tribe." I was a bit taken aback, to say the least.

I got a brief jolt from his response too, but I don't know why.  Do we jump too soon to the conclude that race trumps all?  This is an environmental issue to me.  It may be a power struggle to others.  Some no doubt see it as a race issue, but I don't think it is.

Unbeliever

No it's a power and control issue, as I see it. Those in power can't stand not controlling everything, even the land, air and water that belong to us all. This should be the biggest issue in the country right now, and yet it's barely acknowledged by the lame-stream media - and then they imply that the water protectors are using violence, when the only violence being perpetrated is by the militarized cops.

It's not my tribe either, but then, I have no tribe, except that of humanity.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Personally, I would like to see all these artificial tribal reservations made part of the US and simplify things.  There should be an expiration date on old treaties that no longer make sense in the modern world.  And, yes, I expect flak on this.  But I think the whole Indian tribe thing is a scam and holds them back anyway.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 05:26:57 AM
Personally, I would like to see all these artificial tribal reservations made part of the US and simplify things.  There should be an expiration date on old treaties that no longer make sense in the modern world.  And, yes, I expect flak on this.  But I think the whole Indian tribe thing is a scam and holds them back anyway.

Yes, let's force the Native Americans into something they don't want after we committed mass genocide on them. That seems reasonable.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Not surprising. Towards SGOS response; it's not a matter of race, it's a matter of political and cultural division. They view themselves as Native Americans, but with very different lineages. The closest I can think of would be asking an 1800s Irishman if he cared about the pollution of water in Manchester; they are the same race, speak the same language, practice the same base religion but are vastly different (in someways) culturally and certainly politically and at best have a history of indifference towards one another (if not outright warfare).

The Native Americans are as diverse as Europeans, Africans, Asians. It's only our ignorance that makes them seem like some type of homogeneous group. And in their cultures, religion is almost always the most important thing, so if a different tribe worships different then you, then who cares about them?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on December 02, 2016, 05:36:54 AM
Yes, let's force the Native Americans into something they don't want after we committed mass genocide on them. That seems reasonable.

I appreciate your POV.  Really.  But I am looking at this in more historical terms.   History has always had some people overrun by others.  Take Europe for example.  The Cro Magnons pushed the Neanderthals, the Central Asians came in and pushed the Cro Magnons, some group called Picts came in, and They got pushed by Celts and THEY got pushed by Germanic tribes.  Meanwhile, the original Greeks got pushed by Macedonians wwho then became Greeks and THEY pushed into Asia (Troy).  Then the Phonecians pushed into Italy and became Romans AFTER pushing the Etruscans.  Later the new Central Asian (west of Urals) came in and pushed the Anglo/Saxons/Jutes to edges and that caused THEM to push the Celts into Ireland. And then the Franks, Vandals, Visigoths, and Ostrogoths  pushed the Romans.  The Mongols and Huns Pushed THEM, then the Vikings attacked all over. 

Do you see what I'm getting at?  They didn't leave behind little weird sovereign tribes.  The conquered people just assimilated.  And it was GOOD!  I think that should happen today with US Indians.  Just blend...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!