The failure of Democrats is way deeper than imagined

Started by widdershins, November 22, 2016, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 19, 2016, 10:28:38 AM
I was told one time that unions began to flourish after the bubonic plague, when workers were in high demand.  I'm still not convinced that the plague was the cause, but I think supply and demand is one of the varied causes that you refer to.  I watched the lumber union in my home down die, but it was clearly related to the depletion of natural resources.  The mill, which had been established as the primary income of the town early on, could no longer find the resources, and because of it's outdated technology, could not compete with the newer mills that could out bid them on public timber.  Eventually, even the more technologically advanced mills closed when they no longer had public resources available to them.  Unions cannot survive when workers are not needed.  But as you say, there is more to it than that.  Corruption of union officials may or may not be real.  I think it is, but I can't prove it.

I think we will see a decline in quality of life that will have a lot to do with population growth.  The idea that wealth is not a zero sum game must be a myth.  It might be true in the short term.  Everyone can have more pie, until there isn't any pie left.  I don't believe population growth can be sustained as resources run out.  It happens to all species.

Western mining boom towns go thru the same cycle.  Monoculture in economics.  Exhaustion of resources.  Too many miners.  But this is going to happen to the whole world next.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

In the 70s, I was against unions.  They had too much control and narrow selfish focus.  Now they are too weak.  There needs to be a balance.

We are entering an era on mercantilism.  Businesses have obtained too much influence for selfish reasons of their own.  That has to change.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 22, 2016, 12:04:52 AM
In the 70s, I was against unions.  They had too much control and narrow selfish focus.  Now they are too weak.  There needs to be a balance.

We are entering an era on mercantilism.  Businesses have obtained too much influence for selfish reasons of their own.  That has to change.

I was the same, and today the same.  So build a time machine, go back in time, and tell both our prior selves to stop being idiots! :-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 22, 2016, 12:04:52 AM
That has to change.

I often hear similar things said - "that must change," "we must do this," "we must do that" - but that won't change, and we won't do this - or that.

But no one ever says "what if these things that must happen, don't happen?" 

Because inevitably the things we think should or must happen - aren't going to happen!

Then what!?

Business as usual, I guess.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2016, 05:58:26 PM
I often hear similar things said - "that must change," "we must do this," "we must do that" - but that won't change, and we won't do this - or that.

But no one ever says "what if these things that must happen, don't happen?" 

Because inevitably the things we think should or must happen - aren't going to happen!

Then what!?

Business as usual, I guess.

People were buying and selling, staying at home or traveling, getting married or divorced ... until the day came that they couldn't.  Comes to us individually, but a lot of us can have it happen at nearly the same time, so life isn't so boring ;-)

Yes, always have a plan B.  A battle plan never survives contact with the Republicans (paraphrase Democrats should remember next time).  The Democrats were using a program to run Hillary's campaign ... named Ada, after the first programmer (who was a woman in Victorian times).  But then as now ... garbage in, garbage out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 06:43:44 AM
I was the same, and today the same.  So build a time machine, go back in time, and tell both our prior selves to stop being idiots! :-)

I was never a mercantilist.  But I'll go back in your time machine.  Maybe we can prevent Trump's parents from meeting...  LOLK!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!