News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

some observations about religion

Started by fencerider, November 20, 2016, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Observations of Religion

These are just a few observations about religion. Feel free to make your own opinion.

If we take humanity as a whole, part of the population is born with an innate desire for something or someone bigger than themselves.For these people, religion comes naturally because religion tells us that there is something bigger than us. Some of these individuals have such a strong desire for "god" that they see evidence for god in places where none exists. They are also quick to believe what religious leaders say to them.

If we take humanity as a whole, part of the population is born without any desire for "god". To be clear, this means these individuals do not have any desire for "god" to be in their lives. It also means that these individuals do not have any desire for "god" to go away and leave them alone. The desire for "god" just does not exist. The part of the population that doesn't have any desire for "god" usually end up in the group of agnostics or atheists. Without a desire for 'god' there is no gravitation to religion. It is much easier to be realistic and objective. They are not going to see evidence in places where none exists. If and when a god shows up, it will be time to think about this individual.

I would make the following analogy. You go to the mall with your friend and wait for your boyfriend/girlfriend to show up. Every time some one that sort of looks like him/her you get all excited and say "He/She's here" and your friend looks and says that's not him/her. This happens a few times and then your boyfriend/girlfriend walks up from behind you. Your friend says "Oh, there he/she is". In this analogy you are the religious person and your friend is the atheist. Your friend is not emotionally attached as you are so your friend is not going to see your boyfriend/girlfriend until he/she shows up.

In addition to certain individuals having such a strong desire for "god" that they see god in places where none exists,(There isn't any evidence of "god" out in the open. You have to turn over a few rocks to find it. and many rocks have been turned over and the only thing found was bugs and worms.) there are individuals who have a designer god in their heads and try to apply their design to a "real god". Let me give some examples from the Bible, but first this analogy.

We have an individual that wants a boyfriend/girlfriend so badly that when someone starts going out with him/her, he/she puts his/her concept of an ideal boyfriend/girlfriend on him/her without stopping to look at the person that is standing in front of him/her.

1. Certain individuals have a designer god that is all loving and benevolent, and they try to apply this to the god of the Bible. and what does the Bible say? I am a jealous god. I am a selfish god. [not that you need to read the Bible. if you spent any time in a church you would have heard a sermon on "why bad things happen to good people" God will destroy your life to rebuild it the way he wants it--selfish. God will take away what is most important to you just to see if you will still serve him-- extremely selfish] Should we ignore the words of Jesus himself? Men say I came to bring peace, but I didn't. I came to make problems. To start fights between son and father. To start fights
between father and son. To start fights between brothers. To start fights between neighbors.

2. Certain individuals have a designer god that knows everything, and they try to apply this to the god of the Bible. and what does the Bible say? There is a place in the Bible that says the god of the Bible knows a lot. Isaiah 47?? but I ain't ever read any place in the Bible that says the god of the Bible knows everything. I would call this out of control theology.

3. Certain individuals have a designer god that doesn't make mistakes, and they try to apply this to the god of the Bible. and what does the Bible say? well I have yet to read a verse in the Bible that says the god of the Bible doesn't make mistakes. again more out of control theology.

4. Save the best for last. The Bible theologists say the earth is only a few thousand years old. but there is no place in the Bible that says how old the earth is. Nothing that says when Julius Caesar was king the earth was 16,000 old. There is nothing that says the total years for earth is 30,000 years and there will be 14,000 years left when Nero is on the throne. So where do they get this idea of the earth being less than 10,000 years old? It comes from a geneology written in the Bible. But these same theologists will readily admit that the story of Adam and Eve was not written down until 3,000 years after they were created. So nobody wrote anything down until 3,000 years after the fact and you think there aren't any mistakes??? If you want to believe the Bible what difference does it make to know how old the earth is?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Everyone needs reassurance of some sort ... some with a sky father, others with the processes of nature.  But the greatest reassurance is what you can get from another caring human being.  Human beings are meant to support one another.  The first step has to be your own ... in what way have you provided reassurance to another human being?  I provide reassurance to a male friend of mine.  My daughter does that for one of her girlfriends.  The more we do that, the more likely we will get it in return, but no guarantees.

And yes, the whole idea of infallibility and inerrancy of the Bible is crazy ... it is simply an anthology (two anthologies if you are Christian) of ancient Jewish literature.  Nothing makes that more special than the Odyssey of Homer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 20, 2016, 05:52:39 PM
Observations of Religion

These are just a few observations about religion. Feel free to make your own opinion.

There are some posts I just can't get a grip on.  That was one of them.  Fencerider, try it again in smaller doses...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!