News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

I had a friend, and his wife, visiting for a couple of hours, last night. Among other things, we watched a few trailers...

They loved the Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spider-Man Homecoming and Deadpool 2 trailers, but when those were done, we watched the trailer for DC's Justice League...WOW!...What a difference!...DC heroes still seem campy as ever...even with Batman along for the ride.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on March 31, 2017, 04:41:35 AM
The Marvel Universe is complicated.  The heroes have problems, the villains have reasons, the really out-of-this-world types like Galactus and the Watchers are incomprehensible.  Peter Parker has problems, Magneto and Wolverine are conflicted, Ben Grimm wants to be human, the Inhumans don't want to be, origins get fucked around with, and movie-makers decide to change whatever they want.

It's enough to make an old Marvel comics fan tear his tendrils off!
I like that about Marvel.  They really try to give the characters semi-realistic personalities - goals and motivations that make sense.

Peter Parker wants success in life but he also feels compelled to help fight crime, partially out of guilt for Ben's death.

Tony Stark found out the error of his company's ways the most painful way possible.  He became Iron Man to save his own life and sought to clean up his company, creating many enemies in the process, ensuring his continued need to suit up.  He's also tried to clean up the world at large - actively influencing developments in technological industries and the superhero community to attempt to change the future for the better.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are misfits who ordinarily wouldn't have anything in common, but a couple of them have seen some really nasty galactic crises up close and personal and vowed to proactively guard against the next one.  They cajoled the others into joining up.  Not everyone is particularly heroic and many have their own separate, personal goals but they recognize that the proverbial crap is hitting the fan and there's no one else out there dealing with it, so it falls on them.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2017, 11:39:17 AM
I like that about Marvel.  They really try to give the characters semi-realistic personalities - goals and motivations that make sense.

Peter Parker wants success in life but he also feels compelled to help fight crime, partially out of guilt for Ben's death.

Tony Stark found out the error of his company's ways the most painful way possible.  He became Iron Man to save his own life and sought to clean up his company, creating many enemies in the process, ensuring his continued need to suit up.  He's also tried to clean up the world at large - actively influencing developments in technological industries and the superhero community to attempt to change the future for the better.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are misfits who ordinarily wouldn't have anything in common, but a couple of them have seen some really nasty galactic crises up close and personal and vowed to proactively guard against the next one.  They cajoled the others into joining up.  Not everyone is particularly heroic and many have their own separate, personal goals but they recognize that the proverbial crap is hitting the fan and there's no one else out there dealing with it, so it falls on them.
I'm not sure I'm ready for "I AM GROOD" or some technician in a racoon body for 20 years.  I get the clever leader and the BIG STRONG GUY.  As opposed to Invisible Woman, Flaming Torch, Stretchy Genius Guy, and Big Strong Guy.  Or Avengers. 

Oh, OK, give me some time...  I'll probably like them EVENTUALLY.

Tony Stark is a favorite.  He's an ass, but knows it (well sometimes you just are).  Thor doesn't.  Hulk SMASH but he knows his skill (and that he waited for permission in a movie was cool), Captain America is age-lost. 

Things change.  Nick Fury is a black guy, which is fine, but I can't resolve that with the old rather racist comics.   Those were the first ones I sold off.  I discovered I didn't like his stereotypical squad.  I sort of accepted it when he becamae the Head of Shield, but I never liked that change.  But the early Shield comics were graphicall spectacular.  But still...

Life moves on.

You know why the Avengers exist?  Stan lee and the head of DC comics played golf once and the DC guy bragged about having a group of weird superheroes.  Lee already had the Fantastic Four, but they weren't strange enough (though that was was the first time Ben Grimm left the group).  When Lee got to the office, he demanded a new crazy group.  BY MONDAY.  Thus the Avengers. LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 30, 2017, 04:54:45 PM
I quit reading comic books in 1963. Found scifi books and that just killed the comics.
That too.  And our APA was also cruising along pretty well at that time, so I was having a lot more fun writing supers than reading them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

fans not happy with thors new look.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/help-has-thors-hair-gone-fans-arent-happy-chris-hemsworths-new/

Can't blame them. I get the point of it being thor at his lowest point, but even in the comics when he's been stripped of his hammer and given an axe in unworthy thor, he kept his long hair.

at least for a time. I dunno, just doesn't look very godly him having short hair like every other hero in comics. Also as someone who advocates for guys having long hair and it not being seen as something only women should have, likewise women can have short hair all they want, to me Thor was a great example of guys looking great with long hair.

Eh, whatever though, its just a phase, though I would mention the only time aquaman was considered awesome, was when he had a mullet.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

New Thor ... Samson and Delilah schtick.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

I'm not sure what to think of this one. It looks to be something a little a bit different from most Marvel stuff. I never had any interest in the comic book(although I'm pretty sure I owned the first issue):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/E5hrFVQiGyk
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on April 19, 2017, 08:49:16 PMI'm not sure what to think of this one. It looks to be something a little a bit different from most Marvel stuff. I never had any interest in the comic book(although I'm pretty sure I owned the first issue):
I've never particularly cared about Cloak and Dagger.  I can't even figure out what exactly is unappealing about them.  They just give off a very meh impression.  I think it could be their powers.  Or their status as street-level heroes.  It's surprising that they're getting their own TV show ahead of a bunch of much more well-known names.

Munch

Sort of the same, never cared one way or the other about cloak and dagger. However, I have a slight pet peeve with how marvel production these series and them not feeling at all interconnected with the rest of the marvel franchise.

To me, in the comics, everything felt connected, avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, fantastic four, as if you could come across any super hero in the world and the effects of major events were felt across the spectrum.

Here through, it's just so self contained, like maybe their guest star someone like Luke cage and daredevil, but if not, it just doesn't feel like marvel to me.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 19, 2017, 10:33:53 PM
I've never particularly cared about Cloak and Dagger.  I can't even figure out what exactly is unappealing about them.  They just give off a very meh impression.  I think it could be their powers.  Or their status as street-level heroes.  It's surprising that they're getting their own TV show ahead of a bunch of much more well-known names.
It's easier to do a series about lesser-known characters because you don't have decades of canon to wallow through that creates cliques of obsessive fans bitching that THEY'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG!!!11!1!!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

In that case, they should do a Darkhawk TV show.  :p

Cavebear

I wish I had every "comic" book Marvel every produced.  I bought  Fantastic Four #1 for 12 cents and kept buying them.  Spiderman, Thor, Avengers, etc.  Loved re-reading them.  Sold them all in the late 70s for rent money.  Wish I had them back now.

I would read them, not sell them now.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Hey, I just found this picture of what Clark Kent's facial hair was like:

No wonder no one recognized him!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 09, 2017, 06:18:53 PM
Hey, I just found this picture of what Clark Kent's facial hair was like:

No wonder no one recognized him!

http://mataku.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/weird-beard-6.jpg

Corrected your bad URL
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:16:01 AMI bought  Fantastic Four #1 for 12 cents and kept buying them.  Spiderman, Thor, Avengers, etc.  Loved re-reading them.  Sold them all in the late 70s for rent money.  Wish I had them back now.

I would read them, not sell them now.
There are ways to read them now.  *winks with both eyes*