News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 30, 2017, 05:02:32 PM
And like so many old men...you are repeating yourself, Grandfather...
Yeah, and that's why I gave up reading comics in 1963. Sonny.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 30, 2017, 05:01:16 PMMy comic book experience with the Guardians of the Galaxy, is with Vance Astro, Martinex, Charlie 27, and Yondu, with Starhawk, Aleta and Nikki, added later.
The series was relaunched in 2008, that was my starting point.  Very different characters, but some of the old characters make an appearance.  Definitely worth checking out.  Also, the original Guardians have their own series:  Guardians 3000.

Solomon Zorn

I just discovered this NEW trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy 2!

I'm speechless...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/duGqrYw4usE

Can't wait for Awesome Mix Vol.2...
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Lots of people with gold skin, including Her.  Fingers-crossed for Adam Warlock?

From the last trailer, I thought the Lovecraftian octopus monster was a clear reference to the Cancerverse, but they're already overbooked on villains with Ayesha, Ego, the Ravagers, and Pete's old man, so that's likely not it.  Maybe they're saving that for Vol 3.

Solomon Zorn

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 30, 2017, 06:26:07 PM
Lots of people with gold skin, including Her.  Fingers-crossed for Adam Warlock?
One of my childhood favorites. When I was little, I once found an elliptical polished-stone, in some souvenir store, and glued it to my forehead with Elmer's glue. My "Soul Gem."

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 30, 2017, 06:27:44 PMThis one looks promising too(a brand new one):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/39udgGPyYMg
That new Spider-Man movie looks great.  Maybe I'll enjoy a Spider-Man movie for a change.  I'd prefer Sony to hand him back to Marvel, but I guess joint custody will do for now.

Tony Stark is more of a douche than I've come to expect (the trailer has him going from jerk with a heart of gold to a borderline malicious jerk.  There's a fine line, trailer)  But Spidey telling Tony that "I'm nothing without this suit" is a VERY BAD choice of words with that guy.  For starters, it's a painful reminder of how Tony would be dead without the armor.  Second, Tony's big on developing inner strength and the armor as an extension of the self.  If your attitude is that you don't have to grow because the suit will do everything for you, you're already lost.  Also, Spidey is selling himself short bigtime, which I'm sure pisses off the guy trying to mentor him.

Maybe this all makes more sense in the film than the trailer, but I really hope both Spidey and Iron Man get decently written.

Sorginak

I stopped watching the Spider-Man movies after Tobey Maguire was no longer in them.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Sorginak on March 30, 2017, 07:00:16 PM
I stopped watching the Spider-Man movies after Tobey Maguire was no longer in them.
Those movies weren't bad, but you should give Marvel a chance to redeem the character.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009
That new Spider-Man movie looks great.  Maybe I'll enjoy a Spider-Man movie for a change.  I'd prefer Sony to hand him back to Marvel, but I guess joint custody will do for now.
As long as Marvel and Sony are using the same actors, and  story-continuity, I welcome more money in the process.

Quote from: Hydra009Tony Stark is more of a douche than I've come to expect (the trailer has him going from jerk with a heart of gold to a borderline malicious jerk.  There's a fine line, trailer)  But Spidey telling Tony that "I'm nothing without this suit" is a VERY BAD choice of words with that guy.  For starters, it's a painful reminder of how Tony would be dead without the armor.  Second, Tony's big on developing inner strength and the armor as an extension of the self.  If your attitude is that you don't have to grow because the suit will do everything for you, you're already lost.  Also, Spidey is selling himself short bigtime, which I'm sure pisses off the guy trying to mentor him.

Maybe this all makes more sense in the film than the trailer, but I really hope both Spidey and Iron Man get decently written.
I like Douchebag-Tony. He reminds me of the theme song from the old 1960's cartoon series, "Tony Stark makes you feel, He's a cool exec, with a heart of steel..."

Munch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 30, 2017, 06:05:51 PM
I just discovered this NEW trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy 2!

I'm speechless...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/duGqrYw4usE

Can't wait for Awesome Mix Vol.2...

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 30, 2017, 07:05:48 PMThose movies weren't bad, but you should give Marvel a chance to redeem the character.
I really liked Spider-Man (2002).  A certain event the prior year kinda made it important to have an uplifting film in the Big Apple.

I wasn't too keen on Spider-Man 2 (2004).  I like Doctor Octopus, but goddam, he was a trainwreck.  And his plan was so goddamn stupid it beggers belief.  So much ham.

I heard far too many bad things about Spider-Man 3, so I passed on it.

Same with Amazing Spider-Man, but I watched it pretty recently out of curiosity.  I swear, that kid is on the autism spectrum, not that there's anything wrong with that.  He just behaves oddly around other people.  Also, he has this weird habit of talking with his mouth almost completely closed and not making eye contact.  He practically whispers all his dialogue.  I had to turn closed-captions on to figure out what he was saying.

I found his origin story tedious (thank God MCU Spidey skipped that part), I liked Gwen, but I really liked Denis Leary.  Denis Leary's character is awesome and made a few good points, too.  Denis Leary saved that movie.  Single-handedly pushed it from underwhelming to whelming.  I am whelmed.

I never saw Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I don't plan on it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Doc Ock was a mad scientist.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009
I really liked Spider-Man (2002).  A certain event the prior year kinda made it important to have an uplifting film in the Big Apple.
It was also a groundbreaking new "realistic" treatment of the character. Just the scenes of Spidey swinging through the streets of New York, made the film worthwhile.

Quote from: Hydra009I wasn't too keen on Spider-Man 2 (2004).  I like Doctor Octopus, but goddam, he was a trainwreck.  And his plan was so goddamn stupid it beggers belief.  So much ham.
Visually, I loved it, but the story was disappointing.

Quote from: Hydra009I heard far too many bad things about Spider-Man 3, so I passed on it.
I liked Sandman, in Spider-Man 3, but I've never been a fan of Venom. Plus I thought that Topher Grace was wasted on Eddie. He should have been the actor to take Tobey Maguire's place, as Spider-Man.

Quote from: Hydra009Same with Amazing Spider-Man, but I watched it pretty recently out of curiosity.  I swear, that kid is on the autism spectrum, not that there's anything wrong with that.  He just behaves oddly around other people.  Also, he has this weird habit of talking with his mouth almost completely closed and not making eye contact.  He practically whispers all his dialogue.  I had to turn closed-captions on to figure out what he was saying.

I found his origin story tedious (thank God MCU Spidey skipped that part), I liked Gwen, but I really liked Denis Leary.  Denis Leary's character is awesome and made a few good points, too.  Denis Leary saved that movie.  Single-handedly pushed it from underwhelming to whelming.  I am whelmed.

I never saw Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I don't plan on it.
I didn't like the idea of Sony rebooting the Spider-Man franchise, with that movie. I find his origin story, to be one of the least interesting, of all the Spider-Man tales.

Cavebear

The Marvel Universe is complicated.  The heroes have problems, the villains have reasons, the really out-of-this-world types like Galactus and the Watchers are incomprehensible.  Peter Parker has problems, Magneto and Wolverine are conflicted, Ben Grimm wants to be human, the Inhumans don't want to be, origins get fucked around with, and movie-makers decide to change whatever they want.

It's enough to make an old Marvel comics fan tear his tendrils off!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!