News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2016, 05:10:04 PM
Gotta admit, the civil war thing really just gets on my nerves now. This whole theme of 'WHICH TEAM ARE YOU ON' bullcrap is just running thin now, whatever happened to heroes fighting villains, now it needs to be EDGY, where ideals clash and heroes fight among themselves!

just.. no, it feels like a marketing gimmick forced on us, the only time it sort of worked with the original batman vs superman comic (the dark knight returns), and considering I hate Frank Millar as a writer is saying something.
That's just politics. I'm talking about the Accords. Stupid excuse for a war.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2016, 05:10:04 PMGotta admit, the civil war thing really just gets on my nerves now.
II or I?

I like the first one, since it touches on the morality of vigilantism - it's kind of a gray area and good arguments could be made either way.  Still, there were a lot of needlessly hotheaded and violent exchanges, though I suppose a comic about people with different views calmly and rationally working out some sort of mutually satisfactory agreement wouldn't sell very well.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2016, 06:42:36 PM
II or I?

I like the first one, since it touches on the morality of vigilantism - it's kind of a gray area and good arguments could be made either way.  Still, there were a lot of needlessly hotheaded and violent exchanges, though I suppose a comic about people with different views calmly and rationally working out some sort of mutually satisfactory agreement wouldn't sell very well.
The UN showed no sense of balance at all. Maybe that's not surprising but it was stupid.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2016, 06:42:36 PM
II or I?

actually you make a point, the first one wasn't that bad, I read the trade. Maybe because it wasn't so hyped up and convoluted at this current one.
Its probably because the way this current civil war is marketed it comes off more like a playground setup of kids using their iron man and captain america toys and thwacking one another yelling "MY TOYS BETTER THEN YOURS!"
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2016, 04:00:57 PM
I stopped reading comics around 1962 or -63.
Fantastic Four came out in '62, and Spider Man, Avengers and X-Men began in '63. So you picked a piss-poor time to give it up. Couldn't afford the 15 cents anymore?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

The comic book version, of Civil War, was after my time. So, as Gawdzilla Sama put it, I don't have so much baggage.

I found the movie to be a fun ride. A good old hero-versus-hero scrap, like the comics. I don't ask for solid reasoning behind it, because it's just a setting for the Avengers to use their powers.

The fun is in the way they have taken 50-year-old characters, that were beloved by geeks, and brought them to life on the big screen. I enjoy seeing them re-imagine their stories, while keeping the essence of each character.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 21, 2016, 02:56:32 AM
Fantastic Four came out in '62, and Spider Man, Avengers and X-Men began in '63. So you picked a piss-poor time to give it up. Couldn't afford the 15 cents anymore?
Nope, I found a library. No more need for comic books.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 21, 2016, 03:18:40 AM
The comic book version, of Civil War, was after my time. So, as Gawdzilla Sama put it, I don't have so much baggage.

I found the movie to be a fun ride. A good old hero-versus-hero scrap, like the comics. I don't ask for solid reasoning behind it, because it's just a setting for the Avengers to use their powers.

The fun is in the way they have taken 50-year-old characters, that were beloved by geeks, and brought them to life on the big screen. I enjoy seeing them re-imagine their stories, while keeping the essence of each character.
Yep, fun to watch, which is why I go to the movies. I put up with comic book crises for a good fight. And that threesome in Siberia was a good fight.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 21, 2016, 03:18:40 AMThe fun is in the way they have taken 50-year-old characters, that were beloved by geeks, and brought them to life on the big screen. I enjoy seeing them re-imagine their stories, while keeping the essence of each character.
Yeah, and they do a pretty good job of it, mostly *glares at Fox*

Marvel took a big risk branching out and greenlighting a variety of superheroes instead of just a couple safe bets.  I respect that.  And I was very pleased with the ambitiously large cast in Civil War.  I can't wait for Infinity War, Ms Marvel, and the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 21, 2016, 05:58:47 AMNope, I found a library. No more need for comic books.
That's like saying that one has no use for TV shows after finding movies.  The two formats have never been mutually exclusive.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2016, 08:48:19 AM
That's like saying that one has no use for TV shows after finding movies.  The two formats have never been mutually exclusive.
For you, probably true.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2016, 09:19:28 AM

Just pointing out that books are much more interesting for me than comics. Heinlein made Batman's whinging irrelevant. And I didn't have to pay for them.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

It seems like you're trying awfully hard to come up with the semblance of rational reasons to dismiss comics.  If you want to kid yourself, that's fine.  But don't expect anyone else to buy into it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2016, 10:34:04 AM
It seems like you're trying awfully hard to come up with the semblance of rational reasons to dismiss comics.  If you want to kid yourself, that's fine.  But don't expect anyone else to buy into it.
You're the one defending comic books. Fine if that you're thing. Just don't expect other people to agree that they're worthwhile.
PZ Myers