News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Welcome to the Marvel Multiverse thread.

This is a place for all things Marvel!

Comics, movies, even cartoons if you so desire.

But NO DC!

Use spoilers at your discretion.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

“I marvel...” - The Watcher

Way back in 1992, I envisioned those words as the opening to an imagined Marvel-movie franchise. I figured it should start with the Fantastic Four, and build from there, following the basic timeline of the comic-book universe. In my mind, the X-Men would figure prominently into the Marvel movies.

Now I find myself glad, that the X-Men have been separated into their own “Marvel-Fox Universe.” I don't object to the direction Fox is taking them, and I think there are more than enough stories to tell, for two separate franchises.

But I absolutely despise Fox, for not cooperating with Marvel, to return the rights to the Fantastic Four, somehow. Along with the FF, Marvel would have Galactus, and all of his heralds, specifically Silver Surfer, as well as the Negative Zone and the shape-shifting Skrulls. I see a lot of ways, that all of those things could figure into the Infinity War build-up, as well.

And a big pat-on-the-back to Sony, for cooperating with Marvel to bring home Spider-Man. Very much looking forward to Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I have yet to be disappointed with a Marvel Studios movie. They seem to just keep getting better with each one. I don't go to the movies anymore. But I can't wait for Dr. Strange on Blu-Ray disc.

Munch

I've lost a lot of heart with marvel recently. I still hold their older stories, movies and cartoons in high regard, but a lot of their current happenings are just sour to me.

The way marvel of fucking up the x-men, the reason why I became a marvel fan to begin with back in the 90s, is just deplorable, how they are fucking up the very fabric of the x-men universe because of that immature BS with fox not giving the rights back to them make marvel as bad as fox.

The same with the fantastic four, Fox refusing to give rights make, now marvel of refusing to publish FF4 comics because of the greedy fuckers are fox not giving the rights back, that just makes marvel as bad as fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyl5ireSOAw

The x-men are what I grew up on, I love the characters, and for me thinking of super heroes makes me think of the x-men from the 90s onward. The allegory of mutants has always been close to me as being gay, so it was something that related to me a lot more then any other super hero team. From that it allows for the broad scope of characters to flourish, and I have today statues of wolverine, beast, storm (I got like 7 statues of wolverine), and loads of old x-men comics and trades.

If marvel were to sweep x-men under the rug, then I have nothing left I want to give marvel.   
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solomon Zorn

I started reading comic-books in the barber shop, when I was about 4 years old. The barber had ragged, ripped up copies of Fantastic Four #1 and X-Men #1. Started buying the new ones, off the shelf, at about the same time - 1970. I also watched the 1960's cartoons of FF, Spider-Man, and other Marvel characters, throughout my youth. When I became a Christian in about 1982, I gave up sci-fi and fantasy literature of any kind, and burned all my books and comic books.

I started up again in 1990, when a comic-book store opened in town. They had the Moebius Iron-Man poster in the window, so I stopped in. I rediscovered the X-Men at that time. For three years, I collected comic books ravenously. I had a complete collection of New Mutants, among others.

That same year, I had the good fortune of moving into an apartment across from an older guy who had collected comic books since he was a little kid, and still had most of them. We became fast friends. He introduced me to a lot wider world of comic-books, and got me started on "Comics Buyers Guide," a newspaper devoted to comic news.

I stopped reading the comics, back about 1993, just before the comic-book bubble collapsed. I haven't seen anything that Marvel, or anybody else, has done lately to make me start up again, especially given how expensive the damn things are now.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm so glad I don't have all this baggage when I go to see these movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

A lot of Marvel's characters have been around for more than half a century. I feel sorry for anyone who never noticed them, until they were movies.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2016, 11:42:55 AMI've lost a lot of heart with marvel recently. I still hold their older stories, movies and cartoons in high regard, but a lot of their current happenings are just sour to me.

The way marvel of fucking up the x-men, the reason why I became a marvel fan to begin with back in the 90s, is just deplorable, how they are fucking up the very fabric of the x-men universe because of that immature BS with fox not giving the rights back to them make marvel as bad as fox.
I kinda have mixed feelings about the X-Men.  One one hand, I love the premise and they have lots of compelling characters.  They were one of the four main marvel settings along with the Fantastic Four, Spider Man (the unofficial mascot), and the Avengers.  But when they went big, perhaps they went too big, overshadowing other series.  Wolverine in particular was everywhere.  Imo, he's the John Cena of Marvel.

So maybe it's for the best that they get downplayed for a while until their inevitable return, probably in a tweaked form.  They could possibly be permanently replaced by Inhumans, but I very much doubt it.

*edit - the X-Men are coming back in 2017 under the incredibly clever title, ResurrXion.

aitm

I wouldn't have a clue which is DC or which is marvel.....never cared to know the difference between what or whoever created Bugs Bunny or Yogi Bear either... I was too busy try to survive in a cruel world, carrying water from the creek...huntin an killin stuff to eat.....choppin wood fer da fire place where we huddled for heat and sang songs of jesus and then would go a sneakin round at night trying to see what girl was brave enough to go shit in the woods and see if we could slap her up side the head and marry her....yep....didn't have no damn time fer cartoons.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2016, 01:24:51 PM

*edit - the X-Men are coming back in 2017 under the incredibly clever title, ResurrXion.

in truth, I find it hard to trust current marvel with whatever they cook up. The x-men from the 90s - 2000 where for me the best the x-men have been, in terms of popularity, but the current trend of a lot of comic books is less the colorful and more grim-dark gritty like aiming for what dc have done a lot, but going so overboard it lost a lot of appeal for me. As someone once said, the difference between marvel and dc was that dc characters were like gods, and marvel were down to earth and more human. Doesn't feel like that as much now for some reason.

And don't get me wrong, I can like dc, not a massive fan of it, but I can take it in doses, like batman the animated series, some of its comics like harleyquin, 90s aquaman, and currently apollo and midnighter (though the Authority series was owned by wildstorm before DC got full control of it). I just liked it better when there wasn't an epic end of the world death of all heroes story every few months. The only marvel title that doesn't seem to bleak and depressing now is ones like deadpool.

Blackleaf

My exposure to Marvel and DC were the same for me growing up: Through movies, TV shows, and video games. I rarely touched any of the comics. Now that I think about it, most of my exposure to Marvel was Spider-Man related. The Spider-Man cartoon of the 90s was one of my favorite shows. The Spider-Man movie of 2002 is still one of my favorite super hero movies, and was very disappointed with the reboot. And I played a few Spider-Man video games on the Genesis and Playstation.

Nowadays, I enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's no doubt Marvel is the current king of super hero movies right now. But based on some of the stuff I've read, I don't think I'd care much for the comic books.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 20, 2016, 01:06:26 PM
A lot of Marvel's characters have been around for more than half a century. I feel sorry for anyone who never noticed them, until they were movies.
I stopped reading comics around 1962 or -63.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 20, 2016, 03:46:52 PM

Nowadays, I enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's no doubt Marvel is the current king of super hero movies right now. But based on some of the stuff I've read, I don't think I'd care much for the comic books.
Mostly soap operas with big ... muscles.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2016, 04:01:54 PM
Mostly soap operas with big ... muscles.

Big muscles aren't what usually come to mind. It seems like they've slimmed down a lot in recent history.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

As I said, I haven't read them in a long time. I did get a good laugh at the comic-book crisis in "Civil War".
PZ Myers

Munch

Gotta admit, the civil war thing really just gets on my nerves now. This whole theme of 'WHICH TEAM ARE YOU ON' bullcrap is just running thin now, whatever happened to heroes fighting villains, now it needs to be EDGY, where ideals clash and heroes fight among themselves!

just.. no, it feels like a marketing gimmick forced on us, the only time it sort of worked with the original batman vs superman comic (the dark knight returns), and considering I hate Frank Millar as a writer is saying something.