News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 12:28:02 PM
Having both feet PLANTED FIRMLY on the floor is generally the definition of solid logic...  (*coff, coff*)
Edited for accuracy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Okayyyy...getting back to the subject...here's a catalog of old comic book covers, I'm perusing. WARNING! DON'T CLICK ON THE LINKS UNDER THE PHOTOS! IF YOU DO; IMMEDIATELY SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER, OR YOU WILL DOWNLOAD A NASTY VIRUS! Just viewing the covers seems to be safe, however.
http://www.coverbrowser.com/

I'm looking for the point where I resumed reading them, back in 1989, or 90. It was the Moebius Iron Man poster from that time, that I saw in the window of a newly opened comic-book store, that got my attention, and I went in to check out what was for sale. (The Dark Horse ALIEN comics were in the window as well.)

The X-Men were in the middle of the "Extinction Factor" crossover, with X-Factor and the New Mutants. Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio were the hot artists(I met them later at a convention, and I gave them each a custom screen printed T-Shirt, based on their comic book drawings, and Whilce responded by doing an ink sketch for me - a portrait of Storm).

Over the next 4 years, I read and collected about 2000 comics, old and new. I also honed my drawing style quite a bit, in hopes of becoming a comic book artist myself.

Then the bottom fell out of the comics business, and Marvel(who had seen their stock split during the bubble) almost went under. Pretty much took the wind out of the whole comic-book artist thing. Also I lost my job about that time, and ended up selling all of my comics off for cheap, just for money to live on.

Now, though, I'm content to watch the movies.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Munch

Aww sorry to hear you had to sell them all off Zorn :(.
The comic book crash of the 90s was surprisingly the time I got into comics, not from the x-men cartoon series, but from when my brother got my dad to buy copies of the then x-men 2099 series, and it was a format I didn't know about before or was interested in, and got so heavily into it it surprised me to learn of these 'other' x-men who were like the 'past' x-men of the 2099 ones. Then I discovered the cartoon series, and that blew everything away, making me a full on x-men fan. I think it was around then the resurgence of the comic book industry came about, and in I spend like £100 a month on comics.

These days, I don't really buy comic books that often, but I am still someone who believes in buying the proper paperback comics and not digital format. Something about having a proper comic in hand makes it that bit more special. I'm currently buying DCs Apollo and Midnighter, writen by steve orlando, after DC brought out the wildstorm titles. i was a huge fan of the Authority series, but stopped reading when they revamped the roster and team. Now wildstorms pretty much gone and DC owns the rights, but I was glad to see my fav gay super heroes couple who felt like a poke at the idea of superman and batman being a gay couple.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on December 19, 2016, 08:02:51 PMThen I discovered the cartoon series, and that blew everything away, making me a full on x-men fan.
Same.  I got super into the X-Men when the series hit.  The show's intro music alone was amazing.  But as far as comics go, I decidedly preferred the Avengers team over the X-Men.  I can't quite put my finger on why.  I guess I just really like Iron Man and Cap.

QuoteThese days, I don't really buy comic books that often, but I am still someone who believes in buying the proper paperback comics and not digital format.
But...but the digital version is the same image quality, doesn't wear out over time, and is more portable and cheaper!  Plus, it's fun to photoshop my friend's head over some of the characters then share them with him.  Heh, it's the little things in life.

I'll never understand this great affection for physicality.  In the far future, when my kind uploads our consciousnesses onto galaxy-wide virtual networks, flickering to and from local space at will - we shall wage war on our physical-only brethren and we shall topple their endless empire!

Munch

that I can agree with. which is why I usually scan my fav comics and keep the in the plastic envelops they come with, so I can view them that way, occasionally looking a them proper. I also usually buy a graphic novel version of certain fav stories, which is a much easier way to read them, and keeps the originals in their folders.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Munch on December 19, 2016, 09:11:20 PM
that I can agree with. which is why I usually scan my fav comics and keep the in the plastic envelops they come with, so I can view them that way, occasionally looking a them proper. I also usually buy a graphic novel version of certain fav stories, which is a much easier way to read them, and keeps the originals in their folders.
When I was collecting, I read everything. I didn't by much of anything, just to have. But since I liked to keep my comics near-mint, I would place them inside a magazine, while reading them, to avoid fingerprinting the cover.

Solomon Zorn

I wonder if they will introduce Warlock, in the Infinity Wars saga. According to Marvel lore, he should be the owner of the Soul Gem.

Munch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 03, 2017, 12:31:00 AM
I wonder if they will introduce Warlock, in the Infinity Wars saga. According to Marvel lore, he should be the owner of the Soul Gem.

marvel movies don't always follow canon. In days of future past, they used wolverine for the time travel story instead of bishop, despite him being in the movie.

Solomon Zorn

I've read some speculation, that the big cocoon in The Collector's museum, was Adam Warlock's.

I always liked that character when I was a little kid. Below is the comic book that I remember most vividly, as my first encounter with him:

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 04, 2017, 03:18:50 AMI always liked that character when I was a little kid. Below is the comic book that I remember most vividly, as my first encounter with him:
I like Warlock, too.  He's a good foil for Thanos.  He acts as a morally neutral cosmic caretaker compared to Thanos's evil cosmic overlord.  And he wields godlike power fairly even-handedly and endures the responsibility relatively well, though of course problems arose.  At the end, he managed to reboot the universe, so there's that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 21, 2016, 09:42:54 AM
Just pointing out that books are much more interesting for me than comics. Heinlein made Batman's whinging irrelevant. And I didn't have to pay for them.
I can relate to that.  But for me it was Edgar Rice Burroughs.  Then, later, on to Heinlein.  And others.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 04, 2017, 10:15:41 AM
I like Warlock, too.  He's a good foil for Thanos.  He acts as a morally neutral cosmic caretaker compared to Thanos's evil cosmic overlord.  And he wields godlike power fairly even-handedly and endures the responsibility relatively well, though of course problems arose.  At the end, he managed to reboot the universe, so there's that.

My favorite on-line continuing novella ... is about a tran-sexed character like your Warlock.  Being first one gender, then another, gives the character a more even perspective (see Tiresias from Greek myth).  The Empress of Time & Space is partially responsible for everything, everywhere ... kind of like a junior vice president to the CEO (G-d).  And per science fantasy, all the magic is advanced science.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch on January 04, 2017, 07:53:18 PM
My favorite on-line continuing novella ... is about a tran-sexed character like your Warlock.  Being first one gender, then another, gives the character a more even perspective (see Tiresias from Greek myth).  The Empress of Time & Space is partially responsible for everything, everywhere ... kind of like a junior vice president to the CEO (G-d).  And per science fantasy, all the magic is advanced science.
That sounds interesting, Baruch, but I do believe we have found an area of literature, in which you are completely illiterate: comic-books. Correct me if I'm wrong. You should indulge, a little. There is more than half-a-century of Marvel out there.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Munch on January 03, 2017, 07:29:27 AM
marvel movies don't always follow canon. In days of future past, they used wolverine for the time travel story instead of bishop, despite him being in the movie.
Actually, it was Kitty Pryde(Shadowcat), who transferred her consciousness back in time, in the "Days of Future Past" storyline, back in issue 141, long before Bishop.

Munch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 05, 2017, 08:21:39 AM
Actually, it was Kitty Pryde(Shadowcat), who transferred her consciousness back in time, in the "Days of Future Past" storyline, back in issue 141, long before Bishop.

Oh right. Sorry brain fart there, comes from the fact I grew up watching the 90s show well before getting into the comics.