News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Arctic sea ice hits record low

Started by Hydra009, November 19, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2017, 01:18:08 PM
The future is the only thing of consequence.  The past is dead and the present is the merest fraction of time - the portion of the future that has arrived.  The future is an infinite realm of potentiality unbounded.  And it's on its way to you right now.

The future is coming on, it's coming on...

The future is fear and hope ... mere emotions.  But SciFi people live in the future, which never arrives.  Of course, one should be concerned for consequences, but that isn't the same as "Future".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I remember reading Asimov's book, A Choice of Catastrophes: The Disasters That Threaten Our World, way back in the 80s. We don't seem to have dealt with any of the possible catastrophes that threaten our world. Hopefully, I'll melt back into oblivion before things get too much worse.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 23, 2017, 07:25:17 PM
I remember reading Asimov's book, A Choice of Catastrophes: The Disasters That Threaten Our World, way back in the 80s. We don't seem to have dealt with any of the possible catastrophes that threaten our world. Hopefully, I'll melt back into oblivion before things get too much worse.

Is your Philosaur a butter-ball turkey?  You''re basting in your own juices?  Time to get back in the freezer until next Thanksgiving ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on February 23, 2017, 02:03:15 PMBut SciFi people live in the future, which never arrives.
Au contraire.  It arrives every second of every day.

QuoteOf course, one should be concerned for consequences, but that isn't the same as "Future".
Where else would consequences happen?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2017, 07:47:02 PM
Au contraire.  It arrives every second of every day.
Where else would consequences happen?

Your Newtonian time is ... obsolete for over 100 years now.  Newton described absolute time as being like a steady river that flows past you, while you stand on the bank, getting older.  This is because of clocks, particularly regulated clocks, which only exist because of people making toy systems.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 23, 2017, 07:25:17 PMI remember reading Asimov's book, A Choice of Catastrophes: The Disasters That Threaten Our World, way back in the 80s. We don't seem to have dealt with any of the possible catastrophes that threaten our world.
Exactly.  We'll always deal with it later.  Always later.  And then later arrives and we're screwed.

When you don't concern yourself with the future, you run the risk of not having one.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2017, 07:55:22 PM
When you don't concern yourself with the future, you run the risk of not having one.
Well said!  :2thumbs:
God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

OK, but please, don't eat the daisies!
God Not Found

Baruch

In the long run, everyone is dead.  The future looks at lot less interesting at 60 than it did at 20.  Enjoy a misbegotten youth while you still can!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: Cavebear on February 23, 2017, 07:36:26 AM
Are you not planning to live in the future?
Are you? I've got maybe 50 years left tops before I'm fertilizer. And I'm at the point where I could give a fuck what happens after that.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: Johan on February 25, 2017, 01:54:12 PM
Are you? I've got maybe 50 years left tops before I'm fertilizer. And I'm at the point where I could give a fuck what happens after that.

They make Com-munists into Com-post ... are you Left?  The Right, they won't let them pollute the soil, they will shoot them into the Sun.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Shooting Republicans into the sun??? Thats no good either, might destablize it. Some people say get rid of radio active material by throwing it into the sun. I question the intelligence of such an idea: all the Uranium on earth to the sun-what happens when it gets to the core? Might be a worse situation to send the Right into the sun
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2017, 01:18:08 PM
The future is the only thing of consequence.  The past is dead and the present is the merest fraction of time - the portion of the future that has arrived.  The future is an infinite realm of potentiality unbounded.  And it's on its way to you right now.

The future is coming on, it's coming on...

Aside from the fact that the future is always technically in the future, let's say that tomorrow is part of the present (being within reach) and is affected by what we do today in our lifetimes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 05:03:00 AM
Aside from the fact that the future is always technically in the future, let's say that tomorrow is part of the present (being within reach) and is affected by what we do today in our lifetimes.

Only if I don't die in my sleep ... and I keep hoping ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.