News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Arctic sea ice hits record low

Started by Hydra009, November 19, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2016, 10:47:54 AM
It's good to keep in mind that weather isn't climate.
And it's good to keep in mind that global warming can cause unusual cold in certain areas as wind patterns and ocean currents are affected.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

I wonder how Trump will explain half of Antarctic and Greenland ice falling into the ocean?  "Ice cubes for drinks all around?"
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Oh how silly of me.  They will be "Trump Cubes" available $5 per cube!

Hydra009

Update:

As you can see, the 2016 deviation from the norm has not reversed.  In fact, we're looking at a new pattern in the making.  The new normal will now be substantially less sea ice.

Again, I'd like people to not only be aware of this change, but know why this is happening and pressure our governments to act towards solving this problem.

Baruch

Matches the satellite views of the N Pole/Arctic Ocean ice year round.  That is what supplies the sea ice farther south.

Unfortunately, gutting the industrial output of the planet by 50% isn't in the cards, except by global war.  That is how we got rid of industrial over-capacity last time ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

There are more human beings alive today then any other point in history. The mass scale of industry just will keep going, and, as Baruch says, unless a natural disaster occurs that cuts humanity in half, it won't stop. Of course the irony there is a natural disaster will occur regardless.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2017, 04:45:55 PM
There are more human beings alive today then any other point in history. The mass scale of industry just will keep going, and, as Baruch says, unless a natural disaster occurs that cuts humanity in half, it won't stop. Of course the irony there is a natural disaster will occur regardless.

The natural tendency of systems is to overshoot or undershoot.  This is bad for us and for the environment.  We have come close to extinction before ... due to ice ages, giant volcanic eruptions, mega drought.  We really shouldn't add "human caused" to that equation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2017, 09:10:39 PM
The natural tendency of systems is to overshoot or undershoot.  This is bad for us and for the environment.  We have come close to extinction before ... due to ice ages, giant volcanic eruptions, mega drought.  We really shouldn't add "human caused" to that equation.

Well we're overdue for another iceage, theres a super volcano thats not yet erupted, and a solar burst from the sun could happen at random, so really lets place our bets.

I mean heres the thing with large scale natural disasters, when they happened in the past, from meteors crashing, to earthquakes, to tsunamis, to volcanoes, it wasn't as devastating as the scale it would be today, just based on statistics of population growth, the next major disaster will kill from thousands to millions.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2017, 04:45:55 PM

At the rate we're going it won't be natural.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2017, 04:06:03 PM
Matches the satellite views of the N Pole/Arctic Ocean ice year round.  That is what supplies the sea ice farther south.

Unfortunately, gutting the industrial output of the planet by 50% isn't in the cards, except by global war.  That is how we got rid of industrial over-capacity last time ;-(

Where does the 50% industrial decrease requirement come from?

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2017, 04:06:03 PMUnfortunately, gutting the industrial output of the planet by 50% isn't in the cards, except by global war.  That is how we got rid of industrial over-capacity last time ;-(
I'm pretty sure that a global war would have the factories working overtime and war tends to not be very environmentally-friendly overall.  So, that's not a solution, much less a good one.

And cutting industrial output by 50% right off the bat is unfeasibly large even if it could be implemented.

But there are other options.  Phasing out coal/oil/natural gas in favor of green energy sources (solar, wind, hydro, thermal), family planning (slow down global population growth in an ethical way), innovations in fuel efficiency, the ever-decreasing costs of solar panels, etc.  Despite all the bad news, progress has been made in the fight against global warming, just in a piecemeal way.

Even simple stuff like mass transit/carpooling, going easy on the thermostat, replacing incandescent light bulbs with more energy-efficient LED bulbs, and keeping your car's tires pumped up helps. 

Ideally, such efforts buy enough time for new technologies to hit the market to further improve the situation.  We just have to put forth the effort to keep a bad situation from growing worse and weather the storm until it dies down.

That or humanity could go extinct, victims of our own shortsightedness.  I dunno about you guys, but that first option sounds a lot better to me.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 19, 2017, 02:06:48 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure that war would have the factories working overtime and war tends to be not very environmentally-friendly overall.  So, that's not a solution, much less a good one.

And cutting industrial output by 50% right off the bat is indefeasibly large even if it could be implemented.

But there are other options.  Phasing out coal/oil/natural gas in favor of green energy sources (solar, wind, hydro, thermal), family planning (slow down global population growth in an ethical way), innovations of fuel efficiency, and the ever-decreasing costs of solar panels.  Despite all the bad news, gains have been made in the fight against global warming, just in a piecemeal way.

Even simple stuff like mass transit/carpooling, going easy on the thermostat, replacing incandescent bulbs to more energy-efficient LED bulbs, and keeping your car's tires pumped up helps. 

Ideally, such efforts buy enough time for new technologies to hit the market to further improve the situation.  We just have to put the effort in to keep a bad situation from growing worse and weather the storm until it comes to a stop.

That or we could all die, victims of our own shortsightedness.  I dunno about you guys, but that first option sounds a lot better to me.

But WHERE is that 50% figure coming from.  It seems like a rectal extraction...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 02:09:18 AMBut WHERE is that 50% figure coming from.  It seems like a rectal extraction...
It likely was.  Were you expecting something different?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 19, 2017, 02:13:23 AM
It likely was.  Were you expecting something different?

I expect real facts here, not fake ones designed to incite the stupids...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 02:15:24 AMI expect real facts here, not fake ones designed to incite the stupids...
Real facts have never been in a large supply here.  I try to cite sources for my own stuff when possible, but I can't help other people's figures.