News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oh MY GOD I"M going crazy!

Started by doorknob, November 17, 2016, 09:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I've lately been feeling as though the world and the cosmos are contrived, but in the absence of a Creator God, who could've contrived it, and why? Perhaps the Mandella effect can be explained by positing intelligent beings in a previous universe?

http://evodevouniverse.com/wiki/Selfish_biocosm_hypothesis
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: doorknob on November 18, 2016, 03:03:10 PMIf I was unsure at all even a little bit I wouldn't be raising such a stink. But I clearly remember. If you don't that's fine but for me this IS happening. And I'm not the only one who remembers. I don't expect you to believe me actually but I will still say what I think and I think this is real.
Randy, is that you? :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: doorknob on November 18, 2016, 03:03:10 PM
I don't care what sounds better. If you're gonna go by that then what about looney tunes? It makes more sense if it's looney toons as in cartoons,. Looney tunes as in music doesn't make sense now does it? There's something to this like it or not.

Yes, it actually makes more sense. That's probably why your brain stored it that way and why you remember it as such. Still doesn't mean that's how it really was.

Doorknob, I Like you. I really do.
But you are acting in the very way you've called out on this forum in the past: putting personal experience and opinion before the facts that reality presents. You are not just sure in absence of evidence of your claim, but in oposition of evidence against your claim. I am not saying this is insanity, but you are acting Like a religious person of faith.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

I must be stuck in only one reality because I remembered all those accurately. I find it odd that people don't remember Volvo's logo has a male symbol because that seems distinctive.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 18, 2016, 05:56:47 PMI've lately been feeling as though the world and the cosmos are contrived, but in the absence of a Creator God, who could've contrived it, and why?
It seems too flawed to be contrived.  Too messy, too inexact.  Weird, pointless stuff like random, fleeting pain and bizarre mutations.

I can spot the artifice of man-made virtual worlds very easily - straight lines, pristine landscapes (even wastelands are pristinely desolate), conservation of detail, objects placed with obvious purpose, etc.

The world is definitely in the former category.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 18, 2016, 11:53:35 PM
I must be stuck in only one reality because I remembered all those accurately. I find it odd that people don't remember Volvo's logo has a male symbol because that seems distinctive.

What's interesting to me is that remembering inaccurately in specific ways is a group characteristic, and not just the product of isolated individuals.  This should not be surprising.  The logo of something or the spelling of something may be close enough to a commonly understood or perceived counterpart.  People would tend to gravitate toward the more familiar of the two, and perceive both as the more familiar.

I've never actually heard of the Berenstein Bears, but to read "Berenstein" correctly jars my brain.  To even pronounce it correctly jars my brain.  I have this flag go up that says, "No, no.  This is wrong."  So my brain intercedes and fixes the problem for me subconsciously, and stores it away.  When I pull it up later, I'm going to remember it wrong, apparently with a whole bunch of other people, and a conspiracy of sorts begins suggesting that someone has changed it since it was first introduced.

It reminds me of the seductive quality of logical fallacies.  It's easy to understand why a logical fallacy is wrong, but they are so universally appealing in the right circumstances that people automatically use them without closely examining how they are being incorrectly applied.  And they are so universally appealing that over the years experts in logic have identified them and actually named them.  Talk about universal appeal.

It's the curse of homo sapiens, one of the first species to have evolved a uniquely cognitive brain.  It's a good brain as brains go, and everyone wants one, but geologically speaking, it just hit the market and is fraught with design errors, and it's going to take a long time to perfect.

SGOS

This thread jars something else from memory.  I remember many years ago wrestling with something I was writing about Oscar Mayer Wieners.  I don't know if someone pointed out the misspelling or what, but I remember looking for an image of the brand to confirm the correct spelling (not so easy to do before the internet).  I remember the experience as intellectually painful, but milder than that.  Part of the problem was that because of the advertising blitz on TV, "Mayer" was actually pronounced "Meyer", and the jingle that played in everyone's head was much more dominant than the visualization of the product logo.  Spelling it "Mayer" just became wrong in my mind, so my brain changed it and stored it for me the way I wanted it.

In fact, it's possible that the advertising jingle may have actually said "Mayer", which my brain also "fixed" and stored the auditory version in my memory.  I'd have to listen to the jingle again and see how it actually was pronounced.

GSOgymrat

I just had a weird memory experience. I saw an article reporting the cause was finally discovered of a mysterious fog in 1952 that killed 12,000 people in London over five days. My first reaction was that this wasn't a true story. How could such a terrible event have happened and I never heard of it? I looked it up and the story is obviously true. I swear I can't recall it but it seems so unlikely I would miss 12,000 Londoners dying from killer fog. Did I really never know this or did I know it and forget it?

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 19, 2016, 02:00:21 AM
I just had a weird memory experience. I saw an article reporting the cause was finally discovered of a mysterious fog in 1952 that killed 12,000 people in London over five days. My first reaction was that this wasn't a true story. How could such a terrible event have happened and I never heard of it? I looked it up and the story is obviously true. I swear I can't recall it but it seems so unlikely I would miss 12,000 Londoners dying from killer fog. Did I really never know this or did I know it and forget it?

I've never heard about that either

Ever
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 19, 2016, 02:00:21 AMI just had a weird memory experience. I saw an article reporting the cause was finally discovered of a mysterious fog in 1952 that killed 12,000 people in London over five days. My first reaction was that this wasn't a true story. How could such a terrible event have happened and I never heard of it? I looked it up and the story is obviously true. I swear I can't recall it but it seems so unlikely I would miss 12,000 Londoners dying from killer fog. Did I really never know this or did I know it and forget it?
Yeah, I just heard about that a few days ago and I'm pretty well read on disasters.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 19, 2016, 02:00:21 AM

Were you there at that time?  I don't remember details from the Eisenhower administration, thought I was alive then.  My earliest definite historical memory is the Kennedy assassination.  I did hear about on the Internet, about the killer fog in London, probably not more than 10 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on November 19, 2016, 12:58:39 AM
This thread jars something else from memory.  I remember many years ago wrestling with something I was writing about Oscar Mayer Wieners.  ... I remember the experience as intellectually painful, but milder than that.  ...Spelling it "Mayer" just became wrong in my mind, so my brain changed it and stored it for me the way I wanted it.

The Oscar Mayer mindgame is a pre-internet memory for me - this one I learned (and forgot) many years ago.  Several others I had been aware of, such as the ford curly in the logo, volvo, froot loops but can't recall the source.

A simple example on the fallibility of eye-witness testimony.  I still file Mayer as Meyer and Froot as Fruit.  Oh, I will be good for a while now that I have been reminded - but it won't take long for a mental defrag to rename these files once again.

FaithIsFilth

I thought it was Berenstein too. I went back and listened to the theme song for the show and Dolly Parton pronounced it first as Berenstein and then correctly as Berenstain later in the song. That's probably partly why I remember it wrong.

Here is proof that the Mandela effect is real though  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb8Ai273wI  (jk but still pretty weird).

Mandella effect is a fun idea but pretty silly.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: doorknob on November 18, 2016, 03:03:10 PM
I don't care what sounds better. If you're gonna go by that then what about looney tunes? It makes more sense if it's looney toons as in cartoons,. Looney tunes as in music doesn't make sense now does it? There's something to this like it or not.
Probably remembering Tiny Toons? Looney Tunes was given that name because the main focus was the tunes AKA music.

From wikipedia - 'Drawing inspiration for its name from Walt Disney's then-concurrent musical series Silly Symphonies, Looney Tunes initially showcased Warner-owned musical compositions through the adventures of cartoon characters such as Bosko and Buddy. '