News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oh MY GOD I"M going crazy!

Started by doorknob, November 17, 2016, 09:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 17, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
The Star Wars quote is just your brain inserting a word that makes the stand-alone quote make more sense. The fact that a large number of people do this is evidence of nothing more than the fact that this is a species-wide trait.

That doesn't even make sense. So my brain just inserted a word from the time I was a kid until now? This is an ICONIC phrase! It is in no way a miss quote. If it was you can bet your ass starwars junkies would have made a note of it long ago! I'm not miss remembering, armoured skeptic can be a skeptic that's fine but I know, what I know and I KNOW what was said in the star wars movies. I remember HEARING it over and over again when I was a child and forced to watch it. And believe me my memory was much better than it is now.

OK time to get off the starwars quote. Explain to me why FROOT LOOPS makes more sense than FRUIT LOOPS? It has always been FRUIT LOOPS. Why would I say that if it wasn't true? If I didn't remember I'd just say dude I don't remember, but I do remember that's the insane part!

This isn't deja vu, this isn't just a feeling like I remember something I actually fucking remember it! GOT IT!

Now I know I can't prove it but I'm not just remembering incorrectly.

Solomon Zorn

There are few bigger Star Wars fans than me. I can say, with absolute certainty, that it has always been, "No, I am your father," not the always-misquoted, "Luke, I am your father." Just as you think you remember it that way, because you have heard it repeatedly misquoted, I have been correcting those mis-quoters all these years.

Reality shift would be unnoticeable anyway, unless you were somehow impervious to it yourself.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mr.Obvious

memes can mutate as they replicate. Doesn't mean the original is what you remember, and nog even what you are taught. Luke sounds better than 'no'. So the misquote got more popular, it probably got stuck more in the minds of those who heard it first, increasing the likelihood of it Being repeated. And so a misstake flourishes.
I don't know about you, but as much as i like star wars, i don't remotely see empire strikes back as often as i hear that quote. It's natural that my brain Will come to believe the quote I'm told much more often.

Always ask yourself, which is the less complicated answer? That i am wrong? Or that the universe is wrong?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

As an older guy, I can testify that the memory is the first thing to go ... by the time you are 30.

Individual memory isn't a tape recorder, it is a dynamic paraphrase, the builder of your personality.

Social memory is a construct, history is converted to legend immediately, that is how culture is made.

Fiction is converted to fact ... by repetition and political will.

Your grasp of reality ... is egotistic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 18, 2016, 04:02:29 AM
memes can mutate as they replicate. Doesn't mean the original is what you remember, and nog even what you are taught. Luke sounds better than 'no'. So the misquote got more popular, it probably got stuck more in the minds of those who heard it first, increasing the likelihood of it Being repeated. And so a misstake flourishes.
I don't know about you, but as much as i like star wars, i don't remotely see empire strikes back as often as i hear that quote. It's natural that my brain Will come to believe the quote I'm told much more often.

Always ask yourself, which is the less complicated answer? That i am wrong? Or that the universe is wrong?
"Luke" sounds better than, "No," when a person is taking it out of context, as a stand-alone quote. "No" sounds better in context...recalling from memory...VADER: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."  LUKE: "He told me you killed him."   VADER: "No, I am your father!"

If you don't say, "Luke" when using it as a stand-alone, it's not as easy to understand, for everyone hearing it.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 18, 2016, 07:33:54 AM
"Luke" sounds better than, "No," when a person is taking it out of context, as a stand-alone quote. "No" sounds better in context...recalling from memory...VADER: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."  LUKE: "He told me you killed him."   VADER: "No, I am your father!"

If you don't say, "Luke" when using it as a stand-alone, it's not as easy to understand, for everyone hearing it.

Good point. :p

Solomon Zorn

If you want to know about the mind playing tricks on you, though, I can attest that they seem very real. Malleability of memory is the least of the phenomena I've seen.

SGOS

Finally, something that  explains why I'm probably still right about the things I got wrong.  This is reassuring.

Mr.Obvious

By the way, I distinctly remember Trump losing the 2016 election.

Somebody should get on rectifying that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2016, 09:40:06 PM
Okay, I just got to the Bernstein bears bit and I am slightly freaked out now.
That really threw me for a loop.  I had a bunch of those books as a kid and I distinctly remember it as Berenstein because I wondered if the author was Jewish.  There's no way I would've gotten that impression by reading Berenstain.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

doorknob

I don't care what sounds better. If you're gonna go by that then what about looney tunes? It makes more sense if it's looney toons as in cartoons,. Looney tunes as in music doesn't make sense now does it? There's something to this like it or not.

If I was unsure at all even a little bit I wouldn't be raising such a stink. But I clearly remember. If you don't that's fine but for me this IS happening. And I'm not the only one who remembers. I don't expect you to believe me actually but I will still say what I think and I think this is real.

TrueStory

Most all of these are when things are not spelled they way you think they should be that somehow things are wrong.    Things get spelled wrong all the time and then persist on, very common with early hand drawn maps and translations.

Do you remember what you were doing and where you were at 9/11/2001?  I'm sure most people would say yes but 40% of people have conflicting memories just 10 years later.

http://time.com/3739786/memory-september-11/
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

TrueStory

Quote from: doorknob on November 18, 2016, 03:03:10 PM
I don't care what sounds better. If you're gonna go by that then what about looney tunes? It makes more sense if it's looney toons as in cartoons,. Looney tunes as in music doesn't make sense now does it? There's something to this like it or not.

If I was unsure at all even a little bit I wouldn't be raising such a stink. But I clearly remember. If you don't that's fine but for me this IS happening. And I'm not the only one who remembers. I don't expect you to believe me actually but I will still say what I think and I think this is real.

It is real in the sense that you do have those memories about those items, just as real as any other memory but in this case they are just wrong.   The first time you experienced those items your brain sorted it in a way that was palatable to you and it stuck.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Solomon Zorn