News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

End The Electoral College

Started by Cavebear, November 17, 2016, 04:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2016, 08:55:31 PM
For me, I would be happy to give California back to Mexico, then it is their problem ;-)

>mfw California and Texas (and New York to a smaller extent) economically, scientifically and culturally contribute far more than the other 47 and everyone wants to talk shit about them.

Take out California or Texas, and the entire United States falls apart. We "are" the United States, and it's a bit fucked up that we (and New York) have our voices silenced by rural states that cost the federal government far more than they put in. And yes, I realise Texas votes Republican (for now, but that is shifting)... but even then I still don't think it makes sense for someone who has to carry the rest of your sorry asses to not have a more powerful voice, even if we yell in the wrong direction.

Add just Texas and California's GDP together and it is the same size as Japan's. Throw New York in there and it is the same size as China's. You have to add the next 12 or-so states together to get that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

You made my point ... young Kruschev ... gotta kill all those Ukrainian Kulaks who won't give their agricultural production to the Soviet commission on killing Kulaks.

Hope you enjoy eating out of the 5 star restaurant trash bin ... because we won't be growing any products for you.  Eat each other alive ... urban scum?

Texas is fly over country, if you eliminate the People's Republic of Austin ;-))

The California Weed Growers association, won't want to give up their weed cheep to the proletariat either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 12:46:22 PM
You made my point ... young Kruschev ... gotta kill all those Ukrainian Kulaks who won't give their agricultural production to the Soviet commission on killing Kulaks.

Hope you enjoy eating out of the 5 star restaurant trash bin ... because we won't be growing any products for you.  Eat each other alive ... urban scum?

Texas is fly over country, if you eliminate the People's Republic of Austin ;-))

The California Weed Growers association, won't want to give up their weed cheep to the proletariat either.

Yes, Texas and California will starve... except California and Texas are number 1 and 3 in food production respectively.

Didn't really prove anything, both states are just as agrarian as they are developed... which only proved my point that we have to carry yall's asses in every regard.

I see why the rest of the states hate us now... it has to be a bit embarrassing to have to always be looking up to us.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

LA doesn't grow food.  San Fran doesn't grow food, though they have wine to the North.  San Diego doesn't grow food.  Take away the population centers, and yes, California could join Fly Over Country.  California is a big state, it has its own internal secession movements.  N California doesn't like S California for some strange reason.  S California has population and deserts, and steals all the water.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 01:11:57 PM
LA doesn't grow food.  San Fran doesn't grow food, though they have wine to the North.  San Diego doesn't grow food.  Take away the population centers, and yes, California could joint the Fly Over Country.

Too bad they come with us.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2016, 06:42:40 AM
Says you ;-)  Time to break the US up into a more European arrangement, minus the EU and the Euro.

There are those who assert that the US is basically 8 different regions cobbled into one country.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Shiranu

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 23, 2016, 07:49:00 PM
There are those who assert that the US is basically 8 different regions cobbled into one country.

I would say that is actually pretty accurate, if you break those 8 into subregions within a given cultural region. I am not sure our "American-ness" overrides our more regional tendencies.

Not all that uncommon, though; Germany has its Bavarians, Rhinelanders, Berliners, etc. who are all culturally very different, France is just a mess of different cultural regions with very little relation to each other, Spain of course has several regions that want independence, and Italy... don't even get me started on Italy.

Hydra009

The UK is imo a pretty good example of very noticeable regional differences.  And that country is smaller than Oregon.  (94,058 mi² < 98,466 mi²)

Dreamer

Ugh.  End the electoral college but let's keep states and their rights.  You think marijuana would be decriminalized or medical allowed with the feds in charge of everything? Holy crap, if anything, give the states MORE authority... like the Constitution says.  But we should totally vote to amend that whole electoral college nonsense!
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Cavebear

The Electoral College was created to prevent bad decisions by the States (who elected the President at the time) and give what were expected to be the wisest people as a group at the time the ability to over-rule State decisions.

Given that we don't think of our selves in terms of States like we used to, and given that the definition of voters has expanded in the direction of individuals rather than States, the Electoral College is no longer required.

US Presidential elections should reflect national voter choices.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!