News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Whitesplaining"

Started by Shiranu, November 17, 2016, 02:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on November 18, 2016, 10:08:12 AM
It shouldn't be racist to say things like "I don't see color" or "black on black crime" or "I have black friends"; however, in my experience, the people who tend to say these things also tend to say and do racist things. So they've become part of a list of "things racists say".

Racists often use the word "the" ... going to trigger over that?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2016, 08:16:02 PM
You will be grateful that the ice rink is smooth, so you don't fall while doing a Double Axel.
At least Axel Rose to the challenge.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

We who see all see skin color.  The important thing is to know why it exists, how little it matters, and look beyond it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Cavebear on November 28, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
The important thing is to know why it exists, how little it matters, and look beyond it.
That's what colourblind means. It doesn't mean, as the author of the article in the OP seems to think, that the person sees "blackness" as a bad thing. Colourblind means that the person recognizes that many people do see blackness as a bad thing, but the person is choosing to look beyond stereotypes and not judge the person based on their skin colour, and just look at them as a human being. The black girl who wrote the article has made up her mind. Saying that you're colourblind is racist to her, and she thinks that because she simply doesn't understand what colourblind means. She's inventing her own definition, and when we disagree with her silly definition that almost no one uses, she calls the person in disagreement a racist. The woman is set in her ways and there is no room for dialogue with her. She is determined to see racism where there is none. Maybe because one of her dumb friends told her that colourblind people are closet racists and she just went along with it without really thinking it through. I don't know, but her interpretation of colourblind is really stupid, and I'm not going to hold back from saying so just because she is black and I should "trust her experience" and hold my tongue because I'm white. If you say you judge based on skin colour, you're racist. If you say you don't judge based on skin colour, you're racist.

Baruch

Correct, if anyone not a Blood, then are against us ;-(  Are you a member of my Tribe?  We keep that under the radar usually ... African-Americans have a hard time hiding who they are.  So was "colorblind" invented so White folks would pretend that bygones are bygones?  Gotta get some more of that Affirmative Action ... while supplies still last!  Remember, Black women are the most victimized of all, both African-American and women.  White women just won't get it, that is why they weren't enthusiastic for Hillary.  They would have voted more for Michelle though ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on November 30, 2016, 06:46:11 AM
That's what colourblind means. It doesn't mean, as the author of the article in the OP seems to think, that the person sees "blackness" as a bad thing. Colourblind means that the person recognizes that many people do see blackness as a bad thing, but the person is choosing to look beyond stereotypes and not judge the person based on their skin colour, and just look at them as a human being. The black girl who wrote the article has made up her mind. Saying that you're colourblind is racist to her, and she thinks that because she simply doesn't understand what colourblind means. She's inventing her own definition, and when we disagree with her silly definition that almost no one uses, she calls the person in disagreement a racist. The woman is set in her ways and there is no room for dialogue with her. She is determined to see racism where there is none. Maybe because one of her dumb friends told her that colourblind people are closet racists and she just went along with it without really thinking it through. I don't know, but her interpretation of colourblind is really stupid, and I'm not going to hold back from saying so just because she is black and I should "trust her experience" and hold my tongue because I'm white. If you say you judge based on skin colour, you're racist. If you say you don't judge based on skin colour, you're racist.

As an acceptor of evolutionary biology, knowing that we all came out of Africa with dark skin, that we lost melanin to get more vitamin D (in the sense that the randomly lighter skinned humans up north had an advantage through that), I don't really care about skin color.  It is just a local variation for adaption to local conditions. 

I'm not sure that there are even "races" just local adaptions to conditions.  And with the way we move around, I expect we will all be a general tan color some day with pockets of slightly lighter and darker skin. 

Baruch

They used to say, that the Polynesians were the most equalized race ... but put down that poi .. it's fattening!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2016, 07:26:19 PM
They used to say, that the Polynesians were the most equalized race ... but put down that poi .. it's fattening!
A Japanese pilot crash-landed on one of the Hawaiian islands, Niihau, on Dec. 7th, 1941. He tried to take over the little island, but made the mistake of shooting this big local. The guy broke him.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2016, 07:26:19 PM

I have an uncle who spent time in Hawaii.  He said Poi was the most god-awful starch he ever tasted.  He said wet wheat flour paste was better.  And otherwise he LIKED Hawaii.