News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Whitesplaining"

Started by Shiranu, November 17, 2016, 02:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaithIsFilth

Someone saying that they don't see race and just see people is not racist at all. If a black person is going to get upset by that statement and see it as racist, they are looking to make themselves miserable and upset by every little thing in the world. Like Anita Sarkeesian says, "Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic"... if you want it to be. Claiming to be colourblind is not saying that blackness is a bad thing. It's referring to judging people by the content of their character. When one is looking for a reason to be offended everywhere they go, they're likely going to find a reason to be offended everywhere they go.

"Pretty for a black girl" is not racism. It's simply stating your preference. That you're not usually attracted to black girls. It's probably best to keep that kind of talk between friends though and not say that to a black girl's face.

White people talk over her? Well, I talk over other white people and sometimes they talk over me. I guess that means I don't respect my fellow white people, and the white people I'm talking to don't respect their fellow white people. By "don't talk over me", I think what the author is really saying is, 'Listen to me and agree with me or shut up. I don't want to hear any arguments against what I've had to say. If anyone disagrees, they are being unconsciously racist towards me.' She seems to confirm this when she writes "Holding back from correcting someone when you think they’re wrong," and "But the thing is, I’ve heard these whitesplanations over and over again. None of them are original, and it’s a waste of my time (and yours) to do this dance again and again and treat them like they are."

"Whitesplain" is a divisive and dumb word. I agree the with major concerns of black and brown people, and I'm not someone who denies that white privilege is real and is an issue, and I recognize that unconscious racism and bias is a problem, but when I see the colour of my skin being used as an insult, my automatic reaction is "fuck that". Jews in the US are doing fairly well. Imagine someone starting to use the word "Jewsplaining". That's how I see whitesplaining. It's needlessly divisive and causing would be allies to turn on you.

TrueStory

Portmanteaus are the hip buzzwords these days. It seems that most of the time it's a generalization that educates no one and frustrates everyone. 

With that being said I'm not sure why people can't have a little more tact and self awareness that takes no more effort.  'I don't see you as black' might not be racist but it makes you sound detached from reality.  Why is it so hard to recognize two people fucked and had a kid and at least one of the parents was black.  It's dismissive.

Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Shiranu

I don't think it's racist to say you don't color, I think it's just a lie.

Also, drac... Never said you were. I honestly doubt anyone here is particularly racist, intentionally or unconciously.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2016, 05:30:14 PM
I don't think it's racist to say you see?* don't color, I think it's just a lie.
Eh. I don't agree with that. While we all see skin color, not everyone sees people as better or worse because of it. Saying you don't see color just means you don't see a reason one skin color is better or worse than another. Or if your actually colorblind like me and have trouble seeing pigment because of the rods and cones in your eyes...  Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 17, 2016, 05:43:38 PM
Eh. I don't agree with that. While we all see skin color, not everyone sees people as better or worse because of it. Saying you don't see color just means you don't see a reason one skin color is better or worse than another. Or if your actually colorblind like me and have trouble seeing pigment because of the rods and cones in your eyes...  Lol

It is easy for Whites in the US to be color-blind ... not so for African-Americans.  The opposite would be true in W Africa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on November 17, 2016, 07:32:39 PM
It is easy for Whites in the US to be color-blind ... not so for African-Americans.  The opposite would be true in W Africa.
Yes. And that in no way should be demonized when they are.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Duncle on November 17, 2016, 05:27:09 AMbut theres something else that worries me a lot more: the emergence of White identity politics as a substantial political force in the US.
Well, when identity politics became a thing with the LGBT and colored folks, it was only a matter of time before it was adopted by whites. That's just basic sociology. Like many ideas designed to cement the control of one group over another, identity politics were conceived by people who never considered how it could be used against them. Let's hope their safe spaces come with seatbelts, because they're gonna want to buckle up now that Trump's at the wheel. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 17, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
Yes. And that in no way should be demonized when they are.

Many young people today are reality allergic.  They call themselves idealists.  Reality is more like a Dragons & Dungeons game where everyone cheats and people really die.  And the dungeon master is actually a sadist.  You can either learn to acknowledge this reality and successfully deal with it (and all the compromises it requires) or stay in your parent's basement.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2016, 05:30:21 AM
Many young people today are reality allergic.  They call themselves idealists.  Reality is more like a Dragons & Dungeons game where everyone cheats and people really die.  And the dungeon master is actually a sadist.  You can either learn to acknowledge this reality and successfully deal with it (and all the compromises it requires) or stay in your parent's basement.
What the living hell are you talking about.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 18, 2016, 08:14:07 AM

He sweeps generalizations the way a Zamboni sweeps ice.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

It shouldn't be racist to say things like "I don't see color" or "black on black crime" or "I have black friends"; however, in my experience, the people who tend to say these things also tend to say and do racist things. So they've become part of a list of "things racists say".
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hijiri Byakuren

Armchair activists.

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Whitesplaining is a subset of SJW-speak.  Usually promoted by Snowflakes living in their parent's basement ... though some of you are my age too ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 18, 2016, 08:50:10 AM
He sweeps generalizations the way a Zamboni sweeps ice.

You will be grateful that the ice rink is smooth, so you don't fall while doing a Double Axel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.