News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

intros all around

Started by fencerider, November 17, 2016, 01:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Wow there's a lot of people in this place. My parents made me go to church as a kid. Then when I was old enough to choose for myself I went out of habit. Now a little older with too many prayers unanswered when The SHTF start to think I was wasting my time. I don't know if any God exists or if the Christian God is real. People say to have faith... I've asked a lot of people what faith is but no one has given me an explanation that makes sense
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on November 17, 2016, 01:14:31 AM
Wow there's a lot of people in this place. My parents made me go to church as a kid. Then when I was old enough to choose for myself I went out of habit. Now a little older with too many prayers unanswered when The SHTF start to think I was wasting my time. I don't know if any God exists or if the Christian God is real. People say to have faith... I've asked a lot of people what faith is but no one has given me an explanation that makes sense

Think logically and consider that science is more accurate that any thought system before it.  Religion will fade away some day as the last stupid people fail to thrive.  Like Flat-Earthers...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens. I hope you like it here.

To be honest though, I think recent political events have left this forum more active than it usually is.

But I like it, it's a goldilocks forum: not too big, not too small.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 17, 2016, 05:25:01 AM
Welcome to our little band of heathens. I hope you like it here.

To be honest though, I think recent political events have left this forum more active than it usually is.

But I like it, it's a goldilocks forum: not too big, not too small.

Not so sure about that.  I found it separate from politics and anything else.  I was just unhappy with a book discussion board that decided they didn't like an annoying atheist poking rational holes in their posts.  So I looked around and found this. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 06:03:00 AM
Not so sure about that.  I found it separate from politics and anything else.  I was just unhappy with a book discussion board that decided they didn't like an annoying atheist poking rational holes in their posts.  So I looked around and found this.

Yeah, but activity on the forum itself, in comparison to previous months, seems higher; all in all.
Leading up to and after the election, new threads buzzed and many seemed to comment more than before.
This place has it's dry spells. From time to time. This is not one of them.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 17, 2016, 06:07:56 AM
Yeah, but activity on the forum itself, in comparison to previous months, seems higher; all in all.
Leading up to and after the election, new threads buzzed and many seemed to comment more than before.
This place has it's dry spells. From time to time. This is not one of them.

Ok, well you would know better than I.  I'm a new one myself.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on November 17, 2016, 01:14:31 AM
I've asked a lot of people what faith is but no one has given me an explanation that makes sense

It means believe what is not believable.  Really, it's an attempt to get you do that.  People don't use this ploy when it's about something rational.  They don't go out of their way to encourage you to have faith the sun will come up at sunrise.  You only need faith when something you are told to believe sounds like it might be bullshit.   That's why the faith card is there.

This doesn't completely answer your question, "What is faith?"  But knowing it's purpose may help you to understand it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't question faith. Doing so will offend those who believe it to be the only reason anything even happens.
I'm constantly being told that I offend people by even mentioning that faith is bullshit. As a devout atheist I'm reminded that I'm expected to never express my views and just go along with all the happy horseshit prayers..
My gf thinks prayer is helpful. After all, she prayed that Trump would be crushed in the election. Prayers are always answered with Yes/No/Maybe and don't forget the ever popular 'its all in gods hands.'
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Faith is any unfounded belief.  That gives you unicorns, mermaids, fairies, heffalumps, and aliens.  Good luck founding a meaningful life on that past childhood.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 21, 2016, 11:29:23 PM
Faith is any unfounded belief.  That gives you unicorns, mermaids, fairies, heffalumps, and aliens.  Good luck founding a meaningful life on that past childhood.

If you lose your faith, you can find it again at the Lost & Founded ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.