News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What is the Alt-Right?

Started by Jack89, November 16, 2016, 02:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2016, 07:06:35 PM
I have one disagreement with this; they didn't so much avoid assimilation so much as were denied any chance to assimilate and were ruthlessly persecuted in Europe since day one.

Correct, until 1800 almost now Jews were allowed to assimilate, they were considered the static version of Gypsies.  In selected places after 1800, Jews were more or less allowed to assimilate ... but this made Gentiles very nervous ... particularly since the average Jew is better than the average Gentile (well, not really).  Persecution of Jews in Islam dates back to Muhammad himself ... but it was an on again, off again thing.  Christians were more consistent in their oppression.

Jews were considered standoffish, because they wouldn't convert to Christianity like all the stupid pagans did.  Well, we were neither pagans nor stupid.  And it is a Semitic tribal thing.  Initially, like in Islam, the idea of someone converting into Judaism was absurd.  You couldn't marry in, and you had to be born in.  Similarly for the first 100 years or so, Muslims weren't in need of converts, they formed an overclass, and early non-Arab converts had to be adopted into an Arabic tribe.  By 750 CE ... this ethnic barrier was breached, because Islam needed more manpower.  Non-Muslims were not allowed to bear arms (and with that exclusion, paid an extra tax in its place ... frankly I think that was a good deal, if you wanted to avoid constant warfare).  Jews were useful in their own communities ... not just for usury, but as an early form of international trade and banking.  Jews were multilingual, and welcome in Jewish communities anywhere else.  Geographically there were crypto-Jews in China and all the way West to the New World ... from the Baltic to E Africa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 17, 2016, 07:14:17 PM
Ah, so that's why he's so late!

They wouldn't let him store the the Disciples in the overhead bins, so he could save on air fare ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

No, it means "I'm not a douchebag or a racist tool. I respect the rights and safety of all people."
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Quote from: Atheon on November 19, 2016, 11:00:45 PM
No, it means "I'm not a douchebag or a racist tool. I respect the rights and safety of all people."
Alt-Right means European-American US Nativism (total contradiction).  Hatred of "Others".  White America a la pre Civil War days.  Fear of immigrants (though we mostly all are. 

It really means fear of the NEW immigrants when we are so comfortable.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Alt right salutes Donald Trump

Quote“Our definition of the alt-right is younger people who are anti-globalists, very nationalist, terribly anti-establishment,” he told The Journal, adding that the alt-right had “some racial and anti-Semitic overtones.”
QuoteWhite identity, he said, is at the core of both the alt-right movement and the Trump movement, even if most voters for Mr. Trump “aren’t willing to articulate it as such.”
QuoteMr. Spencer’s after-dinner speech began with a polemic against the “mainstream media,” before he briefly paused. “Perhaps we should refer to them in the original German?” he said.

The audience immediately screamed back, “Lügenpresse,” reviving a Nazi-era word that means “lying press.”
Quote“America was, until this last generation, a white country designed for ourselves and our posterity,” Mr. Spencer thundered. “It is our creation, it is our inheritance, and it belongs to us.”

But the white race, he added, is “a race that travels forever on an upward path.”

“To be white is to be a creator, an explorer, a conqueror,” he said.

Atheon

Quote from: Cavebear on November 21, 2016, 11:22:15 PM
Alt-Right means European-American US Nativism (total contradiction).  Hatred of "Others".  White America a la pre Civil War days.  Fear of immigrants (though we mostly all are. 

It really means fear of the NEW immigrants when we are so comfortable.
I was talking about the safety pin symbol.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

The alt-right's overtones are what sink it for me ... some overtones are pleasing consonance ... others are displeasing dissonance.

That and the whole immigrant issue was fought and lost, prior to the US Civil War.  The alt-right seem to be pre-Civil War too, but they are the Know Nothings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

Just say no.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Duncle

The so-called "Alt-right" are white supremacists. Some of them are also old-school fascists. Others would prefer some kind of apartheid-style solution, where there is racial separation and a government elected exclusively by whites. Admiration for Hitler is widespread among all of 'em- witness the "Heil Trump, Heil Victory" at the end of Spencer's recent speech.

As far as the comparison with SJWs goes, the ideological foundations of their respective worldviews are essentially the same. Society is understood as a set of competing races, and History is the story of racial conflict. In both cases, race is also a moral category and some races are tainted and inherently bad- for the white supremacists its the people with brown skin plus the Jews; for SJWs, its the white people.

Neither group has good intentions. Both groups are completely opposed to individual rights and to democracy. The only reason why I oppose white supremacists more than SJWs is that they are far more dangerous. Especially now.

Baruch

I think you are generous ... both crazy wings hate Jews.  It is the Gentile tradition ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The alt-right is merely a tired combination of KKK and Nazi wannabes.   They have both been around for too many years of hatred and dreams of some genetic Neverland.  We are beyond that.  But some of them remain like unkillable cockroaches.  Enough to elect Trump, anyway...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!