TV Your Dogs or Cats May Enjoy

Started by SGOS, November 12, 2016, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I'm not sure about this.  Throughout the history of my own pet ownership, I've only once witnessed a cat that took a brief interest in an episode of the Waltons about a litter of kittens, and that was only a couple of times during the episode when it reacted (wildly) to the audio of the kittens mewing.

I've often wondered why a dog or a cat wouldn't seem to show any interest in a TV, even when it's scenes of other cats and dogs.  They don't seem to show much interest in things that would usually be of great interest to their species.

Do you think this is just some crazy product suitable for a late night infomercial?
https://youtu.be/0MHF-f55vd8
https://boingboing.net/2016/11/10/david-tennant-basically-record.html

SGOS

I knew a woman who had parrots that liked TV.  She said that was not untypical for many parrot species.  They had favorite movies and movie parts, one of them being the Oompa Loompa Song in Willy Wonka.  Simple cartoons usually interested them too, she said.

Hydra009

I had a dog who would occasionally react to a squirrel on TV with a low growl and more rarely, would try to pursue it behind the TV set only to be confused when he lost track of it.  Other than that, zero interest in TV.

Michael M Perez

I happened to read an interesting article by The New York Times on whether your dogs should watch TV? The interesting observation I read from it is that flipping on the channel while we are out would keep our pet stimulated, entertained and relaxed . There is even this channel called DogTV with three-to six minute segments for dogs http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/should-your-dog-be-watching-tv/?_r=0. Both mental and physical exercise is important for them. I ensure both for my pet. Physical part through swimming which has many health benefits from cardiovascular  exercise to stimulation and entertainment.Check this blog http://www.soldapools.com/blog/swimming/5-health-benefits-of-swimming-for-your-dog/. I have found my pet very much engrossed in TV programs. While swimming he loves water. The results are quite evident and positive.

SGOS

Quote from: Michael M Perez on December 21, 2016, 06:35:37 AM
There is even this channel called DogTV with three-to six minute segments for dogs http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/should-your-dog-be-watching-tv/?_r=0.

The part about putting the TV at your dog's eye level kind of makes sense.  I don't know if it actually works, but I'd be more inclined to watch TV if I didn't have to look up at something that was three times higher than my head.  Of course, if your dog ever makes eye contact with you, he's already used to looking up.

AllPurposeAtheist

I can see it already..Soon banks will be issuing pet only credit cards so Fluffy and Fido can purchase crap on pet specific infomercial channels. Operators are standing by so "Woof woof woof, meow, meow, meow" which loosely translated means have your credit card handy and if you act right now we'll double your order and give you not one, but two pieces of crap for the price of one!  And don't forget to get your pet that very useful credit card holder that conveniently attaches to their collars..

And by the way..if ever there was a more useless item people actually purchase I am at a total loss for what it might be..
Steps for your dog.. I guess I'm just not seeing the big picture. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm going out on a limb here and going to guess that dog could just jump up into the back of that  SUV..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Those are for arthritic animals. Model dog is just  model.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2016, 01:15:01 PM
Those are for arthritic animals. Model dog is just  model.

My golden retriever had no problem jumping up into the back of pickup, but I had to let the tail gate down.  However, when he got older, he would run up to the rear of the pickup all excited and just stand there looking longingly up at the bed of the truck.  I would have to scoop him up in my arms, which made him a tad nervous because I would scoop his hind legs up with the rest of him, which immobilized him.  Yet, he would stand there waiting for it.  Once in the truck he would run around like a youngster.  As he got older still, I would have to scoop him out of the truck, too.  But when we got to the trail head, he had no problem hiking 12 miles.  He'd lay around all the next day, and then he'd be fine again.

Gawdzilla Sama

I have a fifteen year old tom cat who is a past master at finding low-stress routes to prime vultching spots. He starts out on steps when they're available.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

My dogs and cats will occasionally watch basketball games, and my cat kinda likes soccer games in short bursts.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Dog steps ... if the steps are wide enough and short enough, they are useful for getting your geriatric patient off the floor and back into bed.  It was a life saver, for the past year, until my mother had to finally go to the nursing home full time.  My mother actually came up with this idea.  A gait belt is also necessary.  And no, my mother will never ever jump into the back of an SUV ... past, present or future ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

My cat will occasionally look at the telly, but I have no idea why she does it when she does. 

Except one time when there was a tiger on the telly and she was staring with interest. 

Ro3bert

Hard to believe but my folks had an Angle fish that watched certain programs, stayed at the end of the aquarium facing the TV until whatever program it "liked" was over. No one believed it until they would turn the TV off and watch the fish thrash about until they turned the TV back on then it would calm down and face the TV until the program was over. After that it would swim about in a normal manner.