How do you feel about the new president of USA?

Started by Rob4you, November 11, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob4you

Hello everyone, I've been absent for a while, but after last Tuesday, I couldn't avoid remembering you guys.  The new president of USA, Donald Trump has said and done highly controversial things, I just hope that all that is just part of his campaign and not his true self, you now like putting on an act.  I certainly was surprised when I heard some of the things that he said, but I was even more dumbfounded when he got the position of republican candidate, then not much when he won the election, but still I hoped that the people of USA would not really choose a man like him, and yet... *sigh* Well, let's just hope that it turns out right in the end, for you and for us in the rest of the world...
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". Carl Sagan

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Carl Sagan

"What I\'m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job". Carl Sagan

Mr.Obvious

As a non-american, it's hilarious in a sad, discomforting, twilight-zone'esque, deeply horrifying, sickening, scary way.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

I'll just copy and paste what I put on Facebook.

My thoughts on the election:
- The great thing about democracy is that people get to choose who they want to represent them. Out of dozens of initial presidential hopefuls the majority of voters, through primaries and now Electoral College, decided that Donald Trump was the best candidate to represent their interests and values. Trump doesn’t represent MY interests or values but I recognize that I’m in the minority. Many other people don’t feel either candidate represent their values and have said in dismay “How did we end up with Clinton and Trump?” Easy, you voted for them.
- Or not. Only 29% of Americans voted in the primaries. An estimated 46.6 percent of voters couldn’t be bothered to fulfill even the most basic civic duty and go to the polls for the presidential election. Excuses for not voting are just that, excuses. When voting is a priority you figure out a way to make it happen.
- Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan said today repealing the Affordable Care Act is a high priority. Because I work in healthcare I am eager to see the details of new government’s “repeal and replace” plan and if they will be able to provide affordable healthcare to all Americans. I sincerely wish them success.
- Now that the Republicans control the executive, legislative and eventually the judicial branches of the government there seems little preventing them from fulfilling their promise of repealing same-sex marriage and enacting “religious freedom” laws so businesses can deny service to LGBT people. If a business owner doesn’t want my money, fine, but the idea of having my marriage to Leo invalidated is infuriating.
- Then there is the matter of Donald Trump as president. I see nothing in his experience or character that indicates he would be a good leader or distinguished representative of the USA. Still, I am willing to keep an open mind and give him a chance to demonstrate that 25.5% of my fellow Americans voted for him with good reason and intention.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

reasonist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 11, 2016, 04:53:42 PM
He'll be the death of the GOP.

That would be nice! But there are still too many old 'deplorables' out there. I have a sense that his presidency won't last very long. If he does what he said he will, it's lights out for the US. But first things first. After reversing Roe vs. Wade, building a 3,000 km wall, getting a Jesus freak into the Supreme Court, deporting 11 million Mexicans, Nuking Isis, torturing Rosie O'Donnell, getting Hillary incarcerated, shutting down CNN and the NY Times and getting Intelligent Design into school curriculum, he won't have time to grab all the p*#&^s he can as President.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

aitm

I am not sure yet...so I stuck a carrot up  my butt....rather uncomfortable.....will let you know later....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

I don't feel much about him, I feel more about the Americans that believed his behaviour is what befits a president and the Americans who feel vindicated and supported in their bigotry since it's now represented at the highest office.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

I am deeply mortified, angry and disgusted. It has left me disoriented and feeling betrayed by my fellow countrymen.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Atheon

As an American, I'm scared shitless. I see rights (such as abortion and gay marriage) being stripped away, the economy falling into ruin, 80 years of progress (all the way back to Social Security) being undone, brutal racism becoming the norm, wars starting, and dictatorship (the ultimate goal of the Republican Party) replacing democracy.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 11, 2016, 04:53:42 PM
He'll be the death of the GOP.
I hope you're right. I would rather have killed the GOP by a Hillary landslide, though.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Blackleaf

Donald Trump is a seventy-year-old man-child, with no filter with which to stop his explosive mouth diarrhea from constantly spewing out. His morality is as bankrupt as his businesses, and he acts like an uncultured buffoon. I am appalled that the American people would even consider an idiot like him to join the ranks of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I expect that he will do everything in his power to set this country back 20 years or more, and have little doubt that he will go down in history as the worst President in US history.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Atheon on November 11, 2016, 07:37:06 PM
I hope you're right. I would rather have killed the GOP by a Hillary landslide, though.
They would just claim they were robbed. This way they have to suffer until they understand the system they've created just ... won't ... work.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

I may be white and middle-aged, but I'm also a gay atheist, so I'm not in the *least* looking forward to the next four years (or however long it takes for him to do something so appalling even the GOP decides to impeach him... unfortunately, Pence is a homophobic  sack of shit so he's not going to be an improvement).

For the moment, I'm actually ashamed to be an American.  My country is supposed to be better than this.  And the next Trumpie who tells me that "Oh, he can't really believe all those horrible things he said" gets punched because they will also turn around and complain that Hillary "always lies".  So they went and voted for someone on the *hope* he was lying?  Fuck.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 11, 2016, 04:09:15 PM
As a non-american, it's hilarious in a sad, discomforting, twilight-zone'esque, deeply horrifying, sickening, scary way.
And as an American, it is the same.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Imagine for a second if Sarah Palin were President.  Now strip away her political experience and give her even more outrageous quotes.  We're talking repugnant to the point that big names in the Republican Party have openly criticized her.  Now imagine she gets to name not only a Cabinet but also at least one Supreme Court justice.