How do you feel about the new president of USA?

Started by Rob4you, November 11, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Yes, there is precedent for this president to do whatever he can get away with - which will be whatever he wants to do. It remains to be seen how far he and his G.O.P. cronies can go.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 25, 2017, 05:09:46 PM
Yes, there is precedent for this president to do whatever he can get away with - which will be whatever he wants to do. It remains to be seen how far he and his G.O.P. cronies can go.

Cronies?  Does the RNC dog wag the Trump tail or vice versa?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's a long term conspiracy to get rid of all of our constitutional protections.

I hope I'll never be able to tell you that "I told you so." I really hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 25, 2017, 05:22:34 PM
It's a long term conspiracy to get rid of all of our constitutional protections.

I hope I'll never be able to tell you that "I told you so." I really hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.

The American people are doomed, I tell you!  iPod people, thanks Apple ;-(

I am not expecting good things from the RNC nor from Trump.  Now we will never know what Hillary and the Hillarybots would have done, and that is a good thing.  I can only manage one dystopia at a time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 25, 2017, 04:38:46 PM
Impending magic-off?  I feel like atheists would be a natural choice for referee.
I was thinking more or less the same thing.  Although I'll admit up front I would be biased towards the Wiccans, so I probably wouldn't be the best ref.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 25, 2017, 07:11:27 PM
I was thinking more or less the same thing.  Although I'll admit up front I would be biased towards the Wiccans, so I probably wouldn't be the best ref.

It would be fine with me if you turned the Ds into toads, and the Rs into snakes.  Turn the Is (and me) into unicorns please.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Trump has a little magic spell called Twitter. Every time he casts a Twitter spell people jump. Some are pleased and some say ouch!
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

How do I feel about Trump as President?  Well, if completely natural events (and I emphasize that) caused his and Pence's demise, I would dance a little jig of happiness.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 01:41:31 AM
How do I feel about Trump as President?  Well, if completely natural events (and I emphasize that) caused his and Pence's demise, I would dance a little jig of happiness.

If Zeus sent lightning bolts to fry the Bush family and the Clinton family, I would sacrifice a goat to Zeus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2017, 08:51:34 AM
If Zeus sent lightning bolts to fry the Bush family and the Clinton family, I would sacrifice a goat to Zeus.

I MIGHT offer you a match to start the fire.  Could we throw the Trumps on it?

2 matches if Batton is the fatwood...

SGOS

I find Trump's labeling of the media as "the enemy of the people" and his subsequent boycott oddly chilling.  I'm not a fan of mainstream media, but "enemy of the people" is an extraordinary claim, and reminiscent of infamously undemocratic regimes.  Also, Trump's comment about inheriting a mess is perplexing.  I agree it's a mess.  We are the United States.  We have been a mess for most of my life.  Supposedly, the job of the president would be to fix the mess, or at a minimum, not make it worse.  But whining about it is probably not the best approach to the problem.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 26, 2017, 09:20:08 AM
I find Trump's labeling of the media as "the enemy of the people" and his subsequent boycott oddly chilling.  I'm not a fan of mainstream media, but "enemy of the people" is an extraordinary claim, and reminiscent of infamously undemocratic regimes.  Also, Trump's comment about inheriting a mess is perplexing.  I agree it's a mess.  We are the United States.  We have been a mess for most of my life.  Supposedly, the job of the president would be to fix the mess, or at a minimum, not make it worse.  But whining about it is probably not the best approach to the problem.

Thank you.  The routine first action of any wannabe dictator is to attempt to diminish the respect of the free press.  The next is to start making citizens suspicious of reports of governmental actions.  Trump and his spokespeople are working on both.

I'm not saying that Trump and his spokespeople are deliberately seeking a dictatorship, but they might find it convenient for their own purposes to be moving in that direction.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 09:31:55 AM
I'm not saying that Trump and his spokespeople are deliberately seeking a dictatorship, but they might find it convenient for their own purposes to be moving in that direction.
I don't know about deliberately, but they don't seem to mind taking steps in that direction.

And don't forget the infamous quote from Dubya: " If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."  It's a line of thinking that's clearly embedded in the modern party -- and no, Baruch, unless you can come up with a modern American Democratic president saying essentially the same thing, you may not claim that it's both parties and they're all the same like you always do.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I find Trump's labeling of the media as "the enemy of the people" and his subsequent boycott oddly chilling.  I'm not a fan of mainstream media, but "enemy of the people" is an extraordinary claim, and reminiscent of infamously undemocratic regimes.
Yeah, it's disturbing to me and I'm used to this American politics circus.  I can't imagine what that looks like from the vantage point of a citizen of our close allies.

QuoteAlso, Trump's comment about inheriting a mess is perplexing.  I agree it's a mess.  We are the United States.  We have been a mess for most of my life.  Supposedly, the job of the president would be to fix the mess, or at a minimum, not make it worse.  But whining about it is probably not the best approach to the problem.
It's a lot less of a mess than when Obama took office.  Two major military conflicts with lots of boots on the ground and an economy in the toilet.  Trump was handed a veritable bouquet of roses in comparison.  But as always, we do have significant problems that remain unsatisfactory addressed (healthcare, energy/environmental policy, criminal justice, drug policy, abortion rights, LGBT rights, and last but certainly not least, corruption issues)

And of course, what Trump considers problems and actual problems don't coincide very often.  Lots of type 1 errors (imagined problems e.g. milllions of illegals voting for Clinton) and type 2 errors (thinking that things are okay that aren't.  e.g. energy/environmental policy)

Baruch

It should be chilling.  The US has been undemocratic since the coup of 1787.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.