Health Law’s Repeal Could Raise Costs and Number of Uninsured

Started by PickelledEggs, January 17, 2017, 03:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 12:10:08 PM
Exactly, but they were following the law ... they could choose not to follow it, like not pay corporate income taxes, if only I worked for Apple.  Or are you Rollerballing ... want only corporations, no governments?  Also the ponzie nature of health insurance is mathematical ... it isn't decided by executives nor by politicians ... though I suspect they are ignorant of math.

Before all health insurance is cancelled by the collapse of society, we will all be in a Bronze plan, but there always has to be lesser mortals, so they will have to create the Rusty Iron plan and the Lead plan.  The Lead plan is the most scary ... the patient has to self terminate.

I'm glad I don't have your outlook. I personally expect we will muddle through in my lifetime. Past that, I'm not so sure.  I won't be here to fix things. ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Not outlook, that is the way it is outside of Government retiree land.  I am not jealous though, the government workers have already suffered enough, having to work in the belly of the beast for 20 or more years.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 04:24:00 PM
Not outlook, that is the way it is outside of Government retiree land.  I am not jealous though, the government workers have already suffered enough, having to work in the belly of the beast for 20 or more years.

There are some benefits to government work that money-seeking people don't understand.  Yes, we earn less, yes we are despised by some.  But we have some security that we can tell our bosses when they are just plain stupid wrong and not get fired.  The first time I did that to a newly appointed political appointee, he nearly had a heart attack, but a few weeks later, admitted I was right.

We have the satisfaction of knowing we are at least trying to help people for no specific gain (commission or otherwise). This shocks private businesspeople who only search for more dollars.

We sleep well at night.

We like our jobs.  I personally spent 30 years followed information and facts instead of money.

I got my job by passing and intelligence and skill test.  My commercial counterparts got their jobs by how well they could prove the tricked people into buying bad stuff at the highest possible price.

Every manager that came into government service was eventually shocked at how much we did with damned little help.  In my last year, the new outside guy admitted to me that he had 5 employees doing what I did.  I explained to him that I did it because I cared, not because of what I was paid.

The defense rests...

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 17, 2017, 05:56:58 PM
Are you sure the Demos needed their help?  Both sides wanted it to fail, so we are forced to Medicare For All.  This supposedly happened in Europe, with the Euro.  The Euro would be so bad, that it would be necessary to form a Federal government for Europe to deal with the mess.  Doesn't seem to be working out that way for our German friends.
It's more likely that Republicans want to eliminate Medicare.

The ACA failed to attract universal support because Obama just pulled out the Republican plan from during the Clinton Administration and relabeled as an idea from the Democratic Party.  Actually, he pulled off a classic bait an switch by promising universal healthcare, which got all the Democrats excited about "universal healthcare," and at the first sign of Republican opposition, he bagged it and pulled out the old Republican plan which no one, not even Republicans, took seriously back when Bill Clinton was Pres.  But many Democrats loved it, because they thought a Democrat invented it, and the Republicans hated it because they thought a Democrat invented it.  Such is the nature of partisan politics.

Now Republicans want to repeal their own healthcare bill because it was passed by Democrats, not because it's as bad a bill today as it was back in 1990.  It was passed by Democrats!  Meanwhile, many Democrats are scratching their heads wondering where this thing came from: "This bill should be great.  Everyone wanted healthcare, and Obama passed it.  So it must be great.  It just doesn't seem great."

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2017, 05:55:15 AM
It's more likely that Republicans want to eliminate Medicare.

The ACA failed to attract universal support because Obama just pulled out the Republican plan from during the Clinton Administration and relabeled as an idea from the Democratic Party.  Actually, he pulled off a classic bait an switch by promising universal healthcare, which got all the Democrats excited about "universal healthcare," and at the first sign of Republican opposition, he bagged it and pulled out the old Republican plan which no one, not even Republicans, took seriously back when Bill Clinton was Pres.  But many Democrats loved it, because they thought a Democrat invented it, and the Republicans hated it because they thought a Democrat invented it.  Such is the nature of partisan politics.

It also shows that even Republican ideas, when proposed by a Democratic President trying to reach across the political spectrum, would fail from Republican obstructionism.

Now Republicans want to repeal their own healthcare bill because it was passed by Democrats, not because it's as bad a bill today as it was back in 1990.  It was passed by Democrats!  Meanwhile, many Democrats are scratching their heads wondering where this thing came from: "This bill should be great.  Everyone wanted healthcare, and Obama passed it.  So it must be great.  It just doesn't seem great."

Baruch

Yes, the R party wants to repeal everything the D party has done, back to President Jefferson.  You would think all R people are from California, they are that nuts!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 06:27:36 AM
It also shows that even Republican ideas, when proposed by a Democratic President trying to reach across the political spectrum, would fail from Republican obstructionism.

Yeah, I know.  It's weird isn't it?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2017, 07:05:41 AM

That is part of the childishness .. we should make all elective office off limits, for those under 60 years old.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2017, 07:05:41 AM

That's the hardest part of understanding Republican politics. Even what they originated and supported became unacceptable if agreed to by any Democrat...

SGOS

Duri
Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 06:00:15 AM
That's the hardest part of understanding Republican politics. Even what they originated and supported became unacceptable if agreed to by any Democrat...
The push for comprehensive health coverage during the Clinton Administration created a partisan division between political parties with Democrats advocating it, and Republicans wanting no government plan at all.    Since the idea had been gaining momentum for some time, Republicans came up with a forerunner of Obamacare in a wholly symbolic attempt to avoid the image of ogres offering no solution at all.  I was surprised when they did it, until it was described. 

It was such a bad plan that I never believed Republicans actually took it seriously, or that they believed Democrats would ever take it seriously.  It was wholly intended as a distraction to derail National Healthcare.  In the end, the Republican strategy accomplished the conservative goal; No government health insurance at all.  That is until Obama actually adopted Obamacare, thereby making what was offered, but never actually intended, acceptable to Democrats.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2017, 06:00:15 AM

What part of partisanship do you not understand?  What part of free lunch do you not understand?  What part of "they aren't really opposed, just wait and see with Trump ... do you not understand ... since it is a Republican health care plan, always has been ... just as Obama and Hillary are Republicans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 26, 2017, 07:41:48 AM
DuriThe push for comprehensive health coverage during the Clinton Administration created a partisan division between political parties with Democrats advocating it, and Republicans wanting no government plan at all.    Since the idea had been gaining momentum for some time, Republicans came up with a forerunner of Obamacare in a wholly symbolic attempt to avoid the image of ogres offering no solution at all.  I was surprised when they did it, until it was described. 

It was such a bad plan that I never believed Republicans actually took it seriously, or that they believed Democrats would ever take it seriously.  It was wholly intended as a distraction to derail National Healthcare.  In the end, the Republican strategy accomplished the conservative goal; No government health insurance at all.  That is until Obama actually adopted Obamacare, thereby making what was offered, but never actually intended, acceptable to Democrats.

It is refreshing to see someone state that "Obamacare" was originally a Republican plan to begin with.  It was, and he pushed it expecting the Republicans who proposed it would be pleased.  Little did he realize how incalcitrant they would be.