General musing about Christianity and idolatry

Started by widdershins, November 23, 2016, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 09, 2016, 08:52:12 AM
Hmmmm...............you and I are reading a different Mike Cl. 

1.  You say--'You agree that not all is technically physical or a product of the material.'  Let me be clear.  Everything is physical or a product of the material world.  Everything.     
2.  You say--'You agree that things that cannot be "seen" can exist and are verifiable to some extent with tests.'  Everything that exists can be verifiable with tests; even the creation of emotions, to some extent, can be shown to be of a physical source.  To the extent that we don't know the source of emotions is simply an 'unknown' and at some point will be known as our knowledge grows.  The word 'seen' is a bit slippery.  There are millions of things the human eye cannot see, that our ears cannot hear, that our taste buds cannot taste, or our noses cannot smell.  That does not mean those things are not in existence or real.  Just ask a dog.   

3.  You say............'You agree that the tests or controls or understanding of all existence isnt ours by any means. '  I really don't know what it is you are saying here.

4.  You say................'So that leaves you admitting that there are things that aren't material (the very composing parts of all existence) and that cannot accurately be tested for, that therefore, must not exist. '  That is an awkwardly worded statement.  This is what I think---everything that exists is material or comes from a material source.  Love is not material; but it comes from a material source.  Fear is not material, but it comes from a material source.  These sources can be tested; we do not know all these is to know about how emotions are created, but we do know that they are from sources within each of us.  The things we cannot accurately test for is because we don't have the knowledge to do so yet.  It does not mean we will not be able to test for it in the future.  Nothing is supernatural. 

Pops, you really do want me to agree with you and that desire causes you to misread what I write.  I have clearly said that all is material, all is natural, that there is no supernatural; and that we do not have all the answers, but the gaps in our knowledge does not prove any unnatural occurrences or things in this universe.  God in all forms is a construct of humans.  Try to take your blinders off when you read what I say.
Never said anything about unnatural causes.

Whatever.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on December 09, 2016, 09:18:09 AM
Never said anything about unnatural causes.

Whatever.
Whatever seems to be your logo!  You seem to be trying to make a statement, but then you seem to confuse yourself while you are doing it.  Your thinking is quite muddled and your reasoning almost nonexistent.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

widdershins

Quote from: popsthebuilder on December 08, 2016, 07:00:04 AM
It wasn't to show a scientific process friend. It was to attempt to explain through example what I mean when I say emotion dictates significance in a person's individual life.

Peace
So were you purposely attempting to confuse the issue or are you just that uninformed of your own beliefs?  This entire conversation started with you claiming that emotion works with reason and "has been proven to lead to chemical changes in the brain and more critical thought capacities" (still waiting on some supportive evidence for that claim.  I certainly couldn't find anything but the claim).  And then you said something about using emotion to determine what is "significant".  And then you go into this pointlessly long story to explain "significance" and, in the end, your explanation has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with critical thought.  So you'll forgive me for being a little confused as to what it is you are getting at when I'm talking about emotion as it relates to critical thought (the claim you brought up) and you're talking about emotion which has nothing whatsoever to do with critical thought in a method so obvious it could have easily been explained with a single short sentence.

So why don't we back up and you post some (reputable) links to support this claim that emotion somehow helps in the critical thought process in blatant disregard for the definitions of "critical thought" and "objective".
This sentence is a lie...