Nov 14 Largest Super Moon Since 1948

Started by SGOS, November 10, 2016, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://www.space.com/34676-closest-supermoon-since-1948-surprising-facts.html

OK, it's not going to look like the moon is 4 times larger or anything.  It's just a bit closer to the Earth than usual, and the effect will be more subtle than that.  From past experience, the light at night might be a bit brighter, I think noticeably so unless you have a lot of outside light sources around.  I recall one 20 years ago during the winter with a deep snow cover in Montana.  That night, the effects were remarkable with a slightly brighter moon combined with lots of new show.  I noticed it an wondered about it to myself.  It wasn't until the next day I learned that it had been a super moon.  I didn't so much marvel at the moon, but over how bright it was in the woods, like good enough to read.

It might be worth a quick trip outside.  If you are away from city lights, it might be worth a few minutes to take a peek.

The Skeletal Atheist

THIS MEANS SOMETHING! READ YOUR BIBLE FOLKS IT'S ALL THERE IN SOME OBSCURE VERSE!!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

doorknob

cool I'm glad you brought this to my attention so now I can pay attention and see for myself.

Cavebear

You can see more than a "supermoon" any time you want.  Buy a cheap telescope. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2016, 02:42:18 AM
You can see more than a "supermoon" any time you want.  Buy a cheap telescope. 

Yes, you will get a better view.  Still, you might get a naked eye chance at a perceptible difference, if only barely, considering clouds, haze, atmospheric clarity.  There's something neat about the orbit of the moon wandering, especially in a predictable way that can be calculated years in advance, which is more interesting that a small change in light refraction, well to me anyway.  Super moon may be an overstatement, but it works.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 11, 2016, 07:07:06 AM
Yes, you will get a better view.  Still, you might get a naked eye chance at a perceptible difference, if only barely, considering clouds, haze, atmospheric clarity.  There's something neat about the orbit of the moon wandering, especially in a predictable way that can be calculated years in advance, which is more interesting that a small change in light refraction, well to me anyway.  Super moon may be an overstatement, but it works.

Binoculars work pretty well, too. 

I know about the apparent "moon-wandering".  The moon isn't exactly in the solar plane.  I happen to look out of a bathroom window often at night.  Sometimes it is low on the horizon and sometimes nearly out of sight above the roof overhang. 

The difference is that I know why and most people don't.

Gawdzilla Sama

Will people have Super Moon parties? Will there be a half-time show? Will people be discussing the commercials for a week after?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 12, 2016, 08:36:29 AM
Will people have Super Moon parties? Will there be a half-time show? Will people be discussing the commercials for a week after?

Sure.  Here are a few helpful suggestions for a successful supermoon party.

Spend at least a few minutes out doors.
Have a bonfire.
Wear Robes with big hoods.
Drink alcohol.
Smoke pot.
So something that seems Satanic.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2016, 08:43:26 AM
Sure.  Here are a few helpful suggestions for a successful supermoon party.

Spend at least a few minutes out doors.
Have a bonfire.
Wear Robes with big hoods.
Drink alcohol.
Smoke pot.
So something that seems Satanic.
Can I substitute Santaic for Satanic?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 12, 2016, 09:59:48 AM
Can I substitute Santaic for Satanic?

I'm not sure what that is, but you can probably get a permit for that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2016, 10:11:08 AM
I'm not sure what that is, but you can probably get a permit for that.
I got the idea from Billy Bob Thornton.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

The full moon isn't really going to be visibly larger than at most times.   If you can tell a 1,000th of a degree bigger, you have WAY better eyes than I do, and I'm far-sighted.

SGOS

It will be Nov 14 after midnight.  I guess this the night.  The moon has risen over my house.  Not noticeably bigger.  But it is exceptionally bright.  I might even call it intense.  If you didn't know what was going on and you were outside, you would probably notice the brightness of the moon.  Not like you would go running into the nearest house and drag the occupants out into the yard to marvel.  But you would probably take notice and perhaps wonder why it's so bright, or maybe wonder if you just hadn't been paying attention on other nights.  The weather here is cloudless and the atmosphere seems about a clear as one could expect in the US, which helps. 

Good gazing, and have a nice evening.

Gawdzilla Sama

I thought I felt lighter during the night.
PZ Myers