Salon Article About Media's Role in the Election

Started by SGOS, November 10, 2016, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

In the future, all social media will be automated, like this ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

No real people online ... the Man will be safe, like Hamlet in his nutshell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

QuoteCheck this out.

http://graphics.wsj.com/blue-feed-red-feed/

I hate reading that stuff, even when I understand the purpose of the Journal.  I got rid of my facebook page years ago.  Even the stuff my friends were posting was often more bothersome than helpful.  Sometimes it was just uninteresting.  I think most people understand what's happening to information because of the internet and 24 hour partisan "news sources."

NPR recently talked about the phenomenon, and spent considerable time on facebook.  They actually tried to present both sides, not as in conservative vs liberal, but as the overall good vs bad aspects of it.  Actually, I had a hard time following those arguments, also.  Apparently, it's what people want.  Yahoo is bad too.  I now use google for my home page.  It's still filled with a lot of articles targeted at biased audiences, but it's maybe somewhat better than yahoo.

It seems like a deterioration in information, but it's an extension of what we have come to accept as normal throughout our entire lives without thinking about it.  Twelve minutes out of every half hour on TV is devoted to refreshing the recognition  of names like Excedrin in our brains' memory storage areas.  We are treated as repositories of mostly useless data, and for the most part we don't usually see this as an insult to our worth as persons.

All of this is for the purpose of creating a statistically measureable change in group behavior.  We see it as significant that we as individuals hold mostly conservative views or liberal views.  Someone else sees us as a bit of data.  We aren't even measured individually, but apparently the behavior of the group is of vital importance to those at the top of the food chain.

I resent being a bit of data, but this is my birthright.  It's what I am here to do.  It's my function in society.  I must accept it.

Baruch

The purpose of humans isn't social progress, but economic progress, particularly for the owners.

Now we have infinite information, the value of information, per Gresham's Law, is nearing zero.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

And a reason why I am not on any popular social media.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 13, 2016, 02:36:42 AM
And a reason why I am not on any popular social media.

Ah, like me, you prefer the un-popular ones, like this site ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.